Verizon: Galaxy S9/S9+ Official Pre-Order Thread

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
i have verizon but didnt order through them, instead i went with samsung directly and ordered the unlocked version. said it should be here by the 14th. i have a question why did you guys order through verizon rather than samsung directly? the unlocked model was 100 bucks cheaper. i would love to hear
Samsung Direct customer service is weak.

With Best Buy you trade your phone in at the store, so no phone mailing and waiting.

Best Buy is taking my current phone and also giving $100 extra today, so $450 off the Verizon price.

I always prefer stores over mail-order for phones.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Direct customer service is weak.

With Best Buy you trade your phone in at the store, so no phone mailing and waiting.

Best Buy is taking my current phone and also giving $100 extra today, so $450 off the Verizon price.

I always prefer stores over mail-order for phones.

well i didnt trade anything in also bought mine outright. $839 for the unlocked model with absolutely NO BLOAT is great for me. all of those pointless verizon apps are annoying and slow the phone down. also i never ordered through best buy but i have heard bad things about them in the past when it comes to pre orders. not saying you've had problems but people in the past on the forums have.

jshaw42

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens if there is a special price or promotion including some goodies after the S9 is available at Verizon? My S7 will be paid off next month, so I think I may wait.

However, from what I have read, I'm glad I didn't go for the S8 after the S7.

matther22xdroid

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
What happens if there is a special price or promotion including some goodies after the S9 is available at Verizon? My S7 will be paid off next month, so I think I may wait.

You def have some good trade in value, I will say though the S8 was a great phone would've been even worth the upgrade from the S7 IMO.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site

usually all they have after the release is the bogo deal.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
i have verizon but didnt order through them, instead i went with samsung directly and ordered the unlocked version. said it should be here by the 14th. i have a question why did you guys order through verizon rather than samsung directly? the unlocked model was 100 bucks cheaper. i would love to hear
My guess is faster updates and wifi calling. I personally went with Best Buy and got my S9+ for 812. Good deal if you ask me.

kevinpb

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has been notorious for having phone activation issues with unlocked phones,but I did notice that Samsung was asking which Carrier Sim you wanted in unlocked phone,so that looked promising. Read on other forums if stick with non Carrier os than verizon WiFi calling and Video calling didn't work without some work. So decided the extra cost might be worth the potential trouble.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking about Preordering throughVerizon. I currently have 3 lines with Tmobile, and one Tab S3 withVerizon. Imight preorder and trade in my Note 8 to get $350 off the S9+ and the $150 prepaid visa card. Still contemplating though.

Anyone else preorder through Verizon that came from another carrier?

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Verizon has been notorious for having phone activation issues with unlocked phones,but I did notice that Samsung was asking which Carrier Sim you wanted in unlocked phone,so that looked promising. Read on other forums if stick with non Carrier os than verizon WiFi calling and Video calling didn't work without some work. So decided the extra cost might be worth the potential trouble.

wifi calling and video calling arent enough for me to pay the extra money. i get great reception everywhere i go (dallas,Tx area) and i do facetime with my fiance on my macbook. video calling quality isnt nearly as good as facetime so i will pass lol

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
wouldn't the s9+ unlocked from samsung update faster than verizon? also you got yours for 812, would did you trade in?
Nope. Samsung updates their unlocked devices last the majority of the time. Carrier versions take priority for them. And I didn't trade anything in. Best Buy full price for it on yesterday was 912 and then they gave me 100 off for getting it yesterday so total came out to 812 and it's split over 24 months.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
For me the unlocked S9 was not an option as it doesn't have WiFi calling. That's a must for me. I get poor reception here at home. To each their own. Too bad the branded versions weren't also $719.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Nope. Samsung updates their unlocked devices last the majority of the time. Carrier versions take priority for them. And I didn't trade anything in. Best Buy full price for it on yesterday was 912 and then they gave me 100 off for getting it yesterday so total came out to 812 and it's split over 24 months.

hmmmm i remember my s8 plus getting an update last on verizon last year

MidnightBlue#WN

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I am holding out until Verizon offers S9+ with 128GB internal storage. No idea why they are only taking orders for 64GB versions. The UK launched with both. SD card storage is nice but tedious to move apps to SD, they run more slowly on SD, and system OS updates move apps back to internal memory undoing all the work to move them there. So the only solution for me is 128GB internal memory. Surprised more people aren't complaining about this.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
oh ok thats fine, i will deal with the late updates. rather that over bloat slowing down my phone.
Unless you're actively using the "bloat", the device will be the exact same speed. They can easily be disabled on the Verizon version. Only Pro to the unlocked version is that you can easily switch carriers. However, for the time being, Verizon phones still come unlocked so not much of a benefit for people who buy the Verizon version. Mostly just cons to getting the unlocked except for the price. However, Best Buy eliminated the price difference as well. Now when Verizon starts locking the phones down in the name of "theft deterrent" then there will be a benefit to the unlocked. I hope one day Samsung starts pushing updates to the unlocked devices more quickly. That would be awesome.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I am holding out until Verizon offers S9+ with 128GB internal storage. No idea why they are only taking orders for 64GB versions. The UK launched with both. SD card storage is nice but tedious to move apps to SD, they run more slowly on SD, and system OS updates move apps back to internal memory undoing all the work to move them there. So the only solution for me is 128GB internal memory. Surprised more people aren't complaining about this.
You will likely be waiting forever. Probably not gonna happen.