03-26-2018 05:51 AM
99 1234
tools
    As always the lack of Samsung updates (non-security) is a deal breaker for me.
    03-06-2018 10:42 AM
    As always the lack of Samsung updates (non-security) is a deal breaker for me.
    That's a hard one for me to get over as well, but I think the vast majority of the market doesn't care yet.
    03-06-2018 10:47 AM
    Is there really a “best” between these two phones? I say no. Each one is a beast in its own way so it comes down to what you value most. I love when people say one or the other is the “best” as if they’ve stated a fact. You’ve just given your opinion, that’s it.

Input on what you value is great. Big, bold statements of fact is just you being a fanboy. And there’s nothing wrong with being a fanboy, just state that up front
    03-06-2018 01:19 PM
    S8 is still on 7.0 and Google just announced beta for 9.0. that is tragic
    03-06-2018 02:34 PM
    I'm confused about the whole updates thing? Do these updates to Google hardware make that much difference to the day to day use of the phone? I have an S7, and I don't really care about the lack of updates I've had. I can still do everything I would do on a Google phone, that affects 99.9% of my life?
    AustinTech likes this.
    03-06-2018 04:08 PM
    The amoled screen is a much bigger draw for me on a Samsung phone, as that is what I will predominantly using the phone for and the difference in the 2 cameras are minimal for the standard user. Everyone needs to relax a bit. Work out which phone suits you more. There is no better or worse out of the 2, it's all about preference
    03-06-2018 04:10 PM
    I'm confused about the whole updates thing? Do these updates to Google hardware make that much difference to the day to day use of the phone? I have an S7, and I don't really care about the lack of updates I've had. I can still do everything I would do on a Google phone, that affects 99.9% of my life?
    Sounds like they definitely don't matter to you. I think the majority of consumers would agree with that too.
    03-06-2018 04:13 PM
    Sorry for my ignorance, as it's not something that I've really looked into. I'd love someone to give me a little heads up, the reason why it's a big deal?
    03-06-2018 04:16 PM
    Sorry for my ignorance, as it's not something that I've really looked into. I'd love someone to give me a little heads up, the reason why it's a big deal?
    An important point about updates that's been made a few times over the years: Samsung isn't selling you the Galaxy S7 with a grand vision of how awesome it's going to be when it gets updated to Oreo two years later. They're selling it to you in the hopes that you love what they did with the software as it was when you opened the box.

Well there are three kinds of updates: 1) Major OS updates, like going from Nougat to Oreo 2) Incremental OS updates like going from 7.0 to 7.1 and 3) Security updates. Samsung does 1 and 3, just slowly though on 3 they are still better than most OEM's out there. On type 2 they typically ignore those entirely. 1 and 3 are definitely the most important, with I think most of us in the forums leaning towards 3 as more important than 1.

Type 1 updates are generally bringing new features - however, with Samsung, these can sometimes be features they already had, just with a different implementation that serves only Samsung devices, while the new updates typically does it in a way to get it to all kinds of devices. An example is mutli-window. With the Samsung version, it was kinda jenky and only worked on certain apps, but they had it two years before the rest of Android got it - but now that Android has it, it actually works better and for more apps. As an example of this, Oreo was released last summer and many 2017 Samsung phones still do not have it.
    Type 2 updates are generally bringing polish to the major update and lately, for the last couple of years, there has only been one of these updates and it usually follows the Type 1 by only a few months. Call it a finishing update. 8.1 was released 3 months ago and so far Samsung has put it on zero devices, including the S9.
    Type 3 updates are monthly security updates, which Google provides the code to the OEM for about a month prior to their release schedule, and then the OEM pushes the update out. That's the one that people tend to get grumpy about. As an example of the issue here, some Samsung devices are on the February update right now, some are on December. March was released yesterday and is already available to all Pixel devices (this year's and last) as well as the last generation of Nexus devices from 2015. So best case scenario, right now, all Samsung phones are at least one month behind.

The bigger question is... should any of this matter at all, if users don't care? Most users don't - if they did, Samsung would change their priorities. But updates are not selling phones in any sort of significant volume. For some users this is a dealbreaker, for others it's the last thing on their mind. Similar to how not having an SD card slot is a dealbreaker for some users, while others don't care in any way whatsoever. Just treat it like another feature IMO, it's either important to you or it isn't.
    03-06-2018 04:28 PM
    How do I delete this? XD #2
    03-06-2018 04:42 PM
    How do I delete this?! XD
    03-06-2018 04:43 PM
    I think it'd be ridiculous for you to get hate for that. You like what you like and you're supposed to buy what you like and then hopefully love what you bought.
    Can't agree more XD
    03-06-2018 04:54 PM
    I prefer the s9+ over the pixalxl2. There is just no comparison in premium features. Wireless & micro s/d expansion are two of my favorites. Then the variable aperture camera which will probably be the best on the market. Also 6gb's, for myself the s9+ offers the most premium features of any!
    EPIC_VIC_951 likes this.
    03-07-2018 11:41 AM
    The difference in the cameras is miniscule for the typical phone user, which people are stressing far too much about
    Not entirely true. The thing that makes the Pixel cameras so great is that they consistently take great pictures even if you are not a great photographer who knows how to use all the manual modes. Most of the things that the new S9+ (not even the "plain" S9) can do require manual intervention. If you're a person who can make use of that, then it's a different discussion. But for the person who just wants GOOD pictures ALL THE TIME, without thinking about it, the Pixel is still on top from looking at the pictures.
    03-07-2018 11:46 AM
    Have you made a decision yet, OP? I'd lean towards the Pixel 2 XL, but I am biased!
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    03-07-2018 12:04 PM
    Yes just picked up pixel XL 2 was close choice played with both for an hour at verizon. Very close choice but updates and price won out over better hardware. Both great phones but seeing the s8 on 7.0 which is 18 months old and hearing 9.0 beta will be available this month to pixel users and as a business user I got 300 off phone plus 100 bill credit and 350 trade in on phone it only cost 100 bucks I couldn't refuse. S9 plus would have been 20 more per month.
    Morty2264 and gadgetfan like this.
    03-07-2018 01:36 PM
    Yes just picked up pixel XL 2 was close choice played with both for an hour at verizon. Very close choice but updates and price won out over better hardware. Both great phones but seeing the s8 on 7.0 which is 18 months old and hearing 9.0 beta will be available this month to pixel users and as a business user I got 300 off phone plus 100 bill credit and 350 trade in on phone it only cost 100 bucks I couldn't refuse. S9 plus would have been 20 more per month.
    Congrats I hope you love it. Also, the dev preview for 9 is available today.
    03-07-2018 01:41 PM
    I'm so glad you are loving your Pixel! Excellent choice! What kind of accessories will you get for it?
    03-07-2018 05:00 PM
    thin case and tempered glass screen protector
    Itsa_Me_Mario and Morty2264 like this.
    03-07-2018 05:11 PM
    I've really enjoyed my peel cases but just switched to Spigen for something thicker - it's riding season soon.
    Almeuit likes this.
    03-07-2018 06:29 PM
    I've really enjoyed my peel cases but just switched to Spigen for something thicker - it's riding season soon.
    <3 my Spigen.
    03-07-2018 06:35 PM
    Sounds good! That's what I'm getting too!
    03-08-2018 11:17 AM
    I am curious how snapdragon 845 is compared to 835. From snapdragon 820/821 to 835, I saw a huge upgrade for speed and efficiency.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-08-2018 12:45 PM
    I can see this being me, too. At least the part about playing for a while in a store and really trying to pick one. I imagine it's a situation where I'd be happy with either once I committed.
    03-08-2018 01:42 PM
    the reviews are trickling out...
    03-08-2018 09:24 PM
99 1234