Verizon Pixel XL2 or S9 Plus

Michaelw81

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I waited for the S7 over the S6, as the S7 had fixed all of the S6's faults, and the S9 appears the same over the S8. Stronger construction, thicker glass, stereo speakers, and better camera. I never buy the first model of anything and it's always served me well. Minor upgrades over the S8, but all worthwhile if you plan to keep a phone for 2 years. To me, the pixel 2 is an ugly phone, with a much worse screen (compared to Samsung). The difference in the cameras is miniscule for the typical phone user, which people are stressing far too much about

bluegreen1965

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm so camera-centric for phones, that I think I would not give up my Pixel 2 XL for the S9+. But the Pixel XL is wider too. My wife has the S8+ and it is much easier to hold.

Last edited:

green2u

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm going back and forth like crazy on these two! Google Store has a sweet deal on the Pixel XL2 right now (trade in credit + $100 Google credit, unlocked or Verizon) which would knock my $ for it to $599 for the 64G. I like that the phone has a 2 year warranty and 3 years of updates (I think that' up to Android R). But drawbacks are processor, no headphone jack or extra storage option. But I do love the quick updates (how quickly they responded to updating screen color options).

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I'm so camera-centric for phones, that I think I would give up my Pixel 2 XL for the S9+. The Pixel XL is wider too. My wife has the S8+ and it is much easier to hold.

Wait, you lost me on this one. Do you mean you'd choose the S9+ over the Pixel 2 XL because of camera? Because the Pixel 2 XL is still a stronger camera in every category that matters except for the ability to use the second lens for zoom. The Pixel 2 XL is stronger in Exposure & Contrast, Color, AutoFocus and Texture, as well as photos requiring a flash. The S9 is stronger at zoom. They're fairly close in video, although the Pixel 2 XL is winning there on everything except color, which the S9+ won on. Based on that, if you're camera centric, shouldn't you pass on the S9+ if you already have the P2XL?

P2XL vs S9+ DXO.gif

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Pixel has quicker updates. And the s9 would have faster chip and more ram. Pricing on pixel is better as Verizon has 300 off with 275 for my trade in where as s9 is 350 with trade in. Tough choice

"faster processor" in real-world use is going to be barely noticeable. The changes in processor speeds these days are so minimal when you look at real-world performance that you'd be hard-pressed to realize the difference. The other argument that COULD have been made in previous years is that the next-gen platform will receive support for an extra year of OS updates, but Google has negated that by bumping OS-level updates from 2 years to 3 years on the Pixel 2 line, while a Samsung is lucky to see 2. Chip-level performance improvements can be offset somewhat by optimizations in the base OS code.

More RAM? Only on the S9+, which has 6 GB. The Pixel 2 has 4 GB across the board, matching the S9...

I don't go by benchmarks, those aren't real-world use. Also, they're useless for comparing different platforms (Apple vs. Android for example, though I know that's not really the discussion here) as the app can be optimized for each. There was even an article on the front-page about the SD845 and why comparing the numbers doesn't really matter... https://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-snapdragon-845-benchmarks

Richard A L

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
I would have to say Galaxy S9+ simply because it's a newer phone with a better processor. Also all the add-ons make it useful in odd ways (like the headphone jack or wireless charging).

Chris Williams8

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Wait, you lost me on this one. Do you mean you'd choose the S9+ over the Pixel 2 XL because of camera? Because the Pixel 2 XL is still a stronger camera in every category that matters except for the ability to use the second lens for zoom. The Pixel 2 XL is stronger in Exposure & Contrast, Color, AutoFocus and Texture, as well as photos requiring a flash. The S9 is stronger at zoom. They're fairly close in video, although the Pixel 2 XL is winning there on everything except color, which the S9+ won on. Based on that, if you're camera centric, shouldn't you pass on the S9+ if you already have the P2XL?

View attachment 280090
Every catergory that matters? Noise doesn't matter at all? Well maybe it doesn't if most people don't notice it. But I notice it in Pixel pictures side by side with the S9.

I really don't care about DXO ratings but I have to give them credit. The S9 beat the Pixel in the noise category but 20 points, and you can see the difference in the side by side pictures too. The lack of noise in the S9 just makes the pictures look slightly more higher quality than the Pixel.

It looks more natural while the Pixels pictures look over sharpened and really grainy. I never noticed it until I seen the S9 photos.

The Pixel takes outstanding photos but they look slightly unnatural. Not to mention the S9 just has a lot better dynamic image IMO.

I understand the S9 camera isn't perfect and it has it flaws as well but the S9 takes the cleaner/better photo....almost every time.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Every catergory that matters? Noise doesn't matter at all? Well maybe it doesn't if most people don't notice it. But I notice it in Pixel pictures side by side with the S9.

I really don't care about DXO ratings but I have to give them credit. The S9 beat the Pixel in the noise category but 20 points, and you can see the difference in the side by side pictures too. The lack of noise in the S9 just makes the pictures look slightly more higher quality than the Pixel.

It looks more natural while the Pixels pictures look over sharpened and really grainy. I never noticed it until I seen the S9 photos.

The Pixel takes outstanding photos but they look slightly unnatural. Not to mention the S9 just has a lot better dynamic image IMO.

I understand the S9 camera isn't perfect and it has it flaws as well but the S9 takes the cleaner/better photo....almost every time.

If you haven't seen it already, I think it'd be cool to share your thoughts in this thread: https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...65-s9-plus-dxo-score-misleading-new-post.html

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

The photos taken from the S9 are softened too much in post-processing, which make them too light. The Pixel's photos look better because they are sharpened.

bluegreen1965

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site

View attachment 280090

Yes, I would pass on the S9+ and keep my GP 2 XL. I was only pining for the slightly narrow width of the S9+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool