Initial hands on in store

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Oh nice! I didn't realize they were already in the stores. I'll need to check it out asap :)
I saw one in my local Tmobile store about 3 or 4 days ago. I hadn't seen them in our local Best Buys, but they may be in there now. Nice seeing them hands on ahead of preordering.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
That's alright...they really want you to use the face unlock thing with iris scanner combo. I can see how it would be too low though. They just can't win with the finger print reader on back with the double lenses running down the middle.
I prefer the fingerprint- it'll work no matter the lighting, every time. Well, it has on my previous phones. Sometimes I do use the face unlock - not the iris though.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Oh nice! I didn't realize they were already in the stores. I'll need to check it out asap :)
Yep. One thing I like about Samsung over LG. With LG they were just half stepping. Devices weren't sent to stores for weeks or in some cases not at all even when they were supposed to be in stores to buy. Samsung and Apple are really on top of their games in this aspect.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh, you can adjust the shutter speed in the video pro mode?

That's nice although my Note8 can do so as well, albeit in a third party app. Samsung making it native is pretty darn cool.

On the FPS topic, I seem to be one of the few who didn't have much of an issue with the old FPS placement mostly due to my long index finger and how I hold my phone. That said, I think the placement on the S9 should be better for those of all hand sizes. My main issue with the FPS on the Note was its speed. It's rather slow in comparison to some others.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Oh, you can adjust the shutter speed in the video pro mode?

That's nice although my Note8 can do so as well, albeit in a third party app. Samsung making it native is pretty darn cool.

Yep but the trick is, as I learned today, if you don't change the shutter speed in pro mode before hitting record you're stuck with only manual focus controls. Kinda weird but one of those little quirks you learn from messing with the phone. I figured that out in Best Buy today.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Update: Samsung did improve the FPS placement.... but they still got it slightly wrong. In the T-Mobile store they had the phones locked down so I did not get a chance to physically lift them up. So in Best Buy today I got to completely get the S9 and S9+ in hand. On second feel, the FPS is still a little off. I think it's just the actual surface area of it that would take some getting used to. It seems as though it would have to read a small portion of your finger to work cause I have smaller/medium sized fingers and my finger would not fit all the way on the sensor like the larger, circle shaped one on LG phones. I still think it's an improvement though. I really feel like this is the first (newer)phone that's not missing anything. It just has it all and I'm continuously impressed by the speaker quality. Still retains the headphone jack. Still has expandable storage. And the video quality is astounding from what I've seen.

https://youtu.be/qeTvWuPJLYE

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I held a display unit at an AT&T store today. Granted, it had a huge device locked onto it, but I still to feel around for the fingerprint sensor and ended up smudging the camera.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I held a display unit at an AT&T store today. Granted, it had a huge device locked onto it, but I still to feel around for the fingerprint sensor and ended up smudging the camera.
You'll gain the finger placement memory, esp if you have some form of a case on it. At first the S8+ fps felt really odd to me and it took a little time to adjust but after awhile No issues and second nature now with the Note 8.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
A few little quirks I noticed that I'm not sure can be remedied or not in the camera settings. In Samsung's Pro Mode the settings disappear after a moment instead of staying on the screen and the UI doesn't rotate like a wheel like LG's mode. So in that sense you can skip from one end of the spectrum to the other quicker on Samsung's mode but it makes it harder to fine tune your adjustments. Just something to take note of. Again some of these quirks may be able to be changed in the camera settings but I'm not sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87