anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why anyone would "upgrade" to the S9+ from the Note 8. The Note 8 has the same amount of RAM. The Note 8 has dual cameras. The Note 8 has an amazing display. The only three things the Note 8 doesn't have is SD 845, the new fingerprint sensor location, and the variable aperture camera. Are those worth "upgrading" to?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I don't see why anyone would "upgrade" to the S9+ from the Note 8. The Note 8 has the same amount of RAM. The Note 8 has dual cameras. The Note 8 has an amazing display. The only three things the Note 8 doesn't have is SD 845, the new fingerprint sensor location, and the variable aperture camera. Are those worth "upgrading" to?
Yes. Yes it is

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

You switch phones every month like myself. You know it doesn't take much of a bump to trigger the itch.

Most points are subjective, but for me:

Bump in battery life (3300 vs 3500 mah)

Stereo speakers (sounded good to me and curious what kind of content will support the Atmos capability-still probably gimmicky)

New camera sensor (Note 8 was not good in low light. Its been collecting dust in favor of my X and Pixel 2XL for this reason)

Hated the finger print sensor but not a deal breaker. Played with the S9+ at Best Buy and while not as good as the 2XL, the sensor is much better than the Note8/S8

SD845- While the 835 is no slouch, improved performance and battery efficiency is always welcome. Plus 4K recording at 60 FPS is nice which the 835 was not capable of.

Unlimited storage with Google Photos. Already have it with my 2XL. But for someone coming from a Note 8 who doesn't have a Pixel device, this is a nice perk. edit: just noticed the fine print. NVM all google photos accts get unlimited at "high resolution"

To me, the S9 + feels slightly better in hand. The edges don't appear as rounded and overall not quite as big as the Note. I rarely use the S-Pen, so it just made sense to sell the Note 8 and move on to the S9. While the Note 8 is still a really solid device I'm looking forward to the S9+.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

You switch phones every month like myself. You know it doesn't take much of a bump to trigger the itch.

Most points are subjective, but for me:

Bump in battery life (3300 vs 3500 mah)

Stereo speakers (sounded good to me and curious what kind of content will support the Atmos capability-still probably gimmicky)

New camera sensor (Note 8 was not good in low light. Its been collecting dust in favor of my X and Pixel 2XL for this reason)

Hated the finger print sensor but not a deal breaker. Played with the S9+ at Best Buy and while not as good as the 2XL, the sensor is much better than the Note8/S8

SD845- While the 835 is no slouch, improved performance and battery efficiency is always welcome. Plus 4K recording at 60 FPS is nice which the 835 was not capable of.

Unlimited storage with Google Photos. Already have it with my 2XL. But for someone coming from a Note 8 who doesn't have a Pixel device, this is a nice perk. edit: just noticed the fine print. NVM all google photos accts get unlimited at "high resolution"

To me, the S9 + feels slightly better in hand. The edges don't appear as rounded and overall not quite as big as the Note. I rarely use the S-Pen, so it just made sense to sell the Note 8 and move on to the S9. While the Note 8 is still a really solid device I'm looking forward to the S9+.

I don't switch devices every month.

I'm trying to remain objective in this thread. Objectively, there's little difference in performance between the Note 8 and S9+. The Note 8 is only six months old.

It's up to a user to decide if the little differences in the S9+ over the Note 8 are worth it.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
After having the Note8 since early September, I've grown weary of the sheer height. I'm probably just going to get the S9, pay off the Note8, call it a day.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't switch devices every month.

I'm trying to remain objective in this thread. Objectively, there's little difference in performance between the Note 8 and S9+. The Note 8 is only six months old.

It's up to a user to decide if the little differences in the S9+ over the Note 8 are worth it.

Re: every month. I was half joking. :) You are in every forum I am tho including the iMore one. What is it? iPhone X/S8 Active/Pixel 2XL/iPhone X/Pixel 2XL/ back to iPhone X?

JPR45

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
It's not worth it for me, my note 8 works great, I use the s pen Everytime I unlock this phone. In fact, I'm hand writting this post with the pen

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
It's not worth it for me, my note 8 works great, I use the s pen Everytime I unlock this phone. In fact, I'm hand writting this post with the pen

If one gets value out of the pen, it definitely doesn't make sense to upgrade. I just found in my use case that I maybe pulled the pen out once or twice a month. With that being the only real advantage the Note 8 offered me I figured why not sell it off and pick up something new and shiny.

It really doesn't make sense for most people to upgrade. I just kind of talked myself into it.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I've never owned a Note, so I don't know how useful the S-Pen would be to me, but I figure if you're going to spend upwards of $1,000 for a phone, you may as well get the most bang for your buck. It's a comfort knowing that you have the pen should the need arise, then not having it and wishing you did. So, as much as I'm tempted by the "newness" of the S9+ with the stereo speakers and Dolby Atmos, I'll wait to see what the Note 9 has to offer before I buy either it, or the S9+ when it's undoubtedly cheaper in the fall.

JPR45

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
If one gets value out of the pen, it definitely doesn't make sense to upgrade. I just found in my use case that I maybe pulled the pen out once or twice a month. With that being the only real advantage the Note 8 offered me I figured why not sell it off and pick up something new and shiny.

It really doesn't make sense for most people to upgrade. I just kind of talked myself into it.
Just curious, what site did you use for the sale and, if you don't mind, What price did you get? on a side note are you guys going to gig-um this year?

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, what site did you use for the sale and, if you don't mind, What price did you get? on a side note are you guys going to gig-um this year?

I usually use Swappa but I sold this one to a coworker friend of mine as he has been wanting one (but not at full price apparently). I gave him what I think is a good deal at $500. I think they have been going for around $600 on Swappa.

Not sure about how this season is going to turn out. I think Jimbo is going to turn things around but I don't think the results will be that immediate. Sumlin had been mediocre at best recruiting the last couple years. I see another 8-4 type season this year and hopefully a bump in 2019. Jimbo salvaged a nice recruiting class after Sumlin was canned and he is already doing good things with the 2019 class.

JPR45

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
I usually use Swappa but I sold this one to a coworker friend of mine as he has been wanting one (but not at full price apparently). I gave him what I think is a good deal at $500. I think they have been going for around $600 on Swappa.

Not sure about how this season is going to turn out. I think Jimbo is going to turn things around but I don't think the results will be that immediate. Sumlin had been mediocre at best recruiting the last couple years. I see another 8-4 type season this year and hopefully a bump in 2019. Jimbo salvaged a nice recruiting class after Sumlin was canned and he is already doing good things with the 2019 class.
Seems a Shame To drop half it's value in 6 months, if you win any game this year make it over the Shorthorns