Free unlimited Google storage with S9

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the S9 and S9 Plus will have the same Google Photos perks as the Pixels!

Attachments

• 584809.jpg
    584809.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 324

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree -- the distinction between "high quality" and "original quality" is very important here.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the S9 and S9 Plus will have the same Google Photos perks as the Pixels!
Original high quality is already available for every Android phone.

The Pixel phones gets unlimited original quality storage. :).

That's the difference so no the S9 won't be getting the Google perks. It wouldn't make much sense for Google to give that perk to a competitor when it's one of the advantages to the Google phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't think they're doing the Google perks because Samsung has that deal with Microsoft. They're giving you 100GB on OneDrive, where you can store your full res photos.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry bud. High quality photos mean it's actually at a lower resolution than the original photos. The Pixels get unlimited storage at original resolution.

WSH90

Mar 6, 2018
Visit site
Well, the high quality is actually photos being compressed, preserving most of the detail (to a layman like me), while the original quality is the same resolution that you took them (according to Google).

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Every Android phone with Google services has had the ability to backup an unlimited amount to Google Photos.

The difference is that on other phones, it is usually compressed in a lossy format that retains as much detail as possible without ruining the photo itself at up to 16MP and videos up to 1080p.

The Pixels have the ability to backup the original photos and UHD video recorded on the device without additional compression. It's lifetime for the OG Pixel and up to 3 years for the Pixel 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Grab a 256gb or 400gb micro sd and you should never have to worry about the cloud!

True, but then you have to worry about the SD card. SD cards don't last forever, and they're prone to corruption. I always recommend to people not to rely on an SD card as the sole storage for important information. Always back it up regularly to some more reliable storage, like an external hard drive (or two, if the information is really​ important), if you're averse to using the cloud.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Grab a 256gb or 400gb micro sd and you should never have to worry about the cloud!

Just have to worry about losing your device (or if it is stolen) then it is all gone! :p.

Seriously though -- use some kind of backup. Don't only trust on phone / in phone storage.

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
If any of you use Plex for streaming media, you can use a plex server in your house and backup your photos and videos to your own server for the cost of running the machine. I push to google photos in high res, full res to my plex server, and full res to my microsoft onedrive account (because I have office 365). This gives me great piece of mind. I just wish microsoft had a decent photo experience. It is horrible and nothing close to what google offers.

The beauty of the plex solution is that if you use it for multimedia in your home, you see the photos and videos you took rather quickly on your big screen at home.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
IDK, I don't see any big difference in quality with the original pics vs the high quality backups. They still look good to me. I've got blurry and blotchy pics and video from back in the blackberry curve days that look way worse so I happily accept the free storage.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I remember seeing VBlog somewhere, your original pictures/video will be reduced from the original.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Will there be a visually noticeable difference?

Most definitely if you have 4K TV and wanted to watch your video on a larger screen. I end up subscribed to Microsoft Office $69 a year and get 1TB OneDrive. Once its full, i moved them away from my cloud to my home Cloud.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
IDK, I don't see any big difference in quality with the original pics vs the high quality backups. They still look good to me. I've got blurry and blotchy pics and video from back in the blackberry curve days that look way worse so I happily accept the free storage.

Pics not as much. Video -- definitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty