Battery Life seems a consistent ding so far in reviews.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Unexpected. I figured that even though a brighter display, the 30% more efficient chipset would offset this some. Using external speakers that drive more watts also will drain more. If using them of course.

Wonder if Samsung has some extra junk running in background? Battery life for initial S8+ reviews was good and stayed that way. Agreed, since the S8+ does have great battery life.

Then again, unless a resource heavy app or game, the main battery drain is the display and radios. The 30% 845 efficiency doesn't mean a lot otherwise.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I haven't seen any of the reviews where they compare it to S8 or Note8. I wonder how it is stacking up on batt life to those?

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll take a few days to play around with it when it gets here, but it's looking like i might hang onto my 2xl and pass the 9+ to my wife. Battery life has been great on the pixel, and every review I've seen so far has said they prefer the pixel camera to the s9. I wasn't expecting that. Assuming performance, software, battery and camera are better on the pixel, i don't think the display of the 9 will be enough to get me to keep it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any of the reviews where they compare it to S8 or Note8. I wonder how it is stacking up on batt life to those?
Reviews reference the 9+ being noticeably less than the Plus and Note. Referring to the 845 version. Seems opposite so far of last year where the reviews were calling battery life one of main positives.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Reviews reference the 9+ being noticeably less than the Plus and Note. Referring to the 845 version. Seems opposite so far of last year where the reviews were calling battery life one of main positives.
If battery life is not as good as the 8+ as much as stated so far, I will cancel my pre-order. 8+ is still a fine device and battery life is a biggie for me.

This could hurt sales even more than the apparently low preorders already are being reported. Reports were reviews needed to be stellar to help boost sales. Battery life is the wrong ding, especially if less than the previous model.

I was already in doubt to keep my pre-order and this could seal it. Samsung has some splaining' to do. Bad perception out of gate is not a good thing, so best to address it. The stand out to me is the contrast from last year during initial reviews.

Added:. Did not mean to reply to my own post. Lame.

Last edited:

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm not impressed by this phone at all, specially not battery side, that's a huge downgrade from the amazing Mate 9.

To me, the S9+ offers nothing worthy over the Mate 9.

Fletchand

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
If battery life is not as good as the 8+ as much as stated so far, I will cancel my pre-order. 8+ is still a fine device and battery life is a biggie for me.

This could hurt sales even more than the apparently low preorders already are being reported. Reports were reviews needed to be stellar to help boost sales. Battery life is the wrong ding, especially if less than the previous model.

I was already in doubt to keep my pre-order and this could seal it. Samsung has some splaining' to do. Bad perception out of gate is not a good thing, so best to address it. The stand out to me is the contrast from last year during initial reviews.

Added:. Did not mean to reply to my own post. Lame.

Have you read this one?

https://gizmodo.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-review-the-best-android-phone-dont-n-1823575944

"the S9+ lasted more than an hour and a half longer en route to an impressive time of 12 hours and 27 minutes on our rundown test"

Please link some of the reviews you are seeing please. Quick google search is showing some equal and some a bit better or worse. Seems odd that it would be worse than S8 since has new chip. We'll see some real world reports over next few weeks i guess.

-Fletch

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm not impressed by this phone at all, specially not battery side, that's a huge downgrade from the amazing Mate 9.

To me, the S9+ offers nothing worthy over the Mate 9.
I'm on a Mate 9 right now too. Battery life on this device is so good it's almost not fair to compare other devices. Almost. I mean...it's got a FHD display and a 4000 mAh battery. Of course battery life is great.

Samsung is not making things easier with these 500+ PPI large displays at Max resolution that have to be fed. At least you have the option to dial back resolution in order to gain battery life.

Last edited:

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm on a Mate 9 right now too. Battery life on this device is so good it's almost not fair to compare other devices. Almost. I mean...it's got a FHD display and a 4000 mAh battery. Of course battery life is great.

It will be better than any galaxy with FHD too, the Mate 9 done so well, it's very hard to "upgrade" to any other phone.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It will be better than any galaxy with FHD too, the Mate 9 done so well, it's very hard to "upgrade" to any other phone.
Well, I've dropped the resolution to 1480x720 on this Note 8 and I'll see how much it improves battery life. It still looks pretty good even though it's the lowest resolution offered. I can certainly live with it if it's gonna give me notably more longevity.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been hesitant to order one because I've had enough Samsung phones to know that good battery life is just not something they do. I'm hard on batteries anyway and I had to charge my S7 after lunch then give it a bump again in the car on the way home every night. The software and the big bright display is the problem. I just don't know that I can go back the the Samsung experience again.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've been hesitant to order one because I've had enough Samsung phones to know that good battery life is just not something they do. I'm hard on batteries anyway and I had to charge my S7 after lunch then give it a bump again in the car on the way home every night. The software and the big bright display is the problem. I just don't know that I can go back the the Samsung experience again.
I can understand your hesitation. They offer the S8 Active with a 4K mAh battery. That'd surely have decent battery life and I can always recommend the Huawei Mate 9 for great battery but Big Brother says we shouldn't use Huawei because they're from one of THOSE countries (so they must be spying on us). Am I allowed to repeat that? ...never mean to offend. I love the Huawei products I've had, great bang for the $$$.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I can understand your hesitation. They offer the S8 Active with a 4K mAh battery. That'd surely have decent battery life and I can always recommend the Huawei Mate 9 for great battery but Big Brother says we shouldn't use Huawei because they're from one of THOSE countries (so they must be spying on us). Am I allowed to repeat that? ...never mean to offend. I love the Huawei products I've had, great bang for the $$$.
Yeah I kinda wanted to try a Huawei device but I am hesitant right now. I do like the S8 active for it's battery but IDK, it's just as much as the S9+ and the battery isn't much bigger.

Ch_Shahzad

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
Samsung basically upgrading charging time rather then battery timing. charging is getting faster and faster, but the battery timing is still the same,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12