S9 Plus going back

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Got it today, and came to this sobering conclusion fairly quickly:

- feels much slower than the Pixel 2 XL I sold for this one. Talking about the Exynos version

- won’t work with any kind of screen protector I’ve tried so far (two glass, one plastic). First phone I’ve ever had that gets its sensitivity drastically reduced even with a plastic screen protector. I won’t use this without a screen protector, too clumsy for that.

- while previous S8s and the Note 8 allowed me to uninstall most of the Samsung bloatware, this one doesn’t. Could be a carrier specific thing though.

- camera is great I suppose but won’t make up for the points above

Not sure how Samsung is planning on getting away with that, considering the S9 Plus with 64gb costs more than an iPhone here.

Anyway, first Samsung phone I’ve ever sent back. Had really been looking forward to this one :-(

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Your sending back a phone because you can't find a screen protector that's crazy. Also the bloatware can be uninstalled. The pixel xl 2 is going to be faster considering it's a googl3 phone with pure android.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Your sending back a phone because you can't find a screen protector that's crazy. Also the bloatware can be uninstalled. The pixel xl 2 is going to be faster considering it's a googl3 phone with pure android.

Yup, insurance won’t pay for scratches. And bloatware sucks. Slows down the phone and makes things unnecessarily complicated. The Pixel 2 XL has a now outdated processor, less RAM and a display that’s considerably worse and still feels faster.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
You should of waited and gotten the SD 845 version. This was a known issue with the exynos version that was reported last week or so. It was benchmarking slower than some year old and year and a half old phones. Something Samsung did by throttling it to keep it in line with the SD845 ruined it and caused it to be much slower.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Got it today, and came to this sobering conclusion fairly quickly:

- feels much slower than the Pixel 2 XL I sold for this one. Talking about the Exynos version

- won’t work with any kind of screen protector I’ve tried so far (two glass, one plastic). First phone I’ve ever had that gets its sensitivity drastically reduced even with a plastic screen protector. I won’t use this without a screen protector, too clumsy for that.

- while previous S8s and the Note 8 allowed me to uninstall most of the Samsung bloatware, this one doesn’t. Could be a carrier specific thing though.

- camera is great I suppose but won’t make up for the points above

Not sure how Samsung is planning on getting away with that, considering the S9 Plus with 64gb costs more than an iPhone here.

Anyway, first Samsung phone I’ve ever sent back. Had really been looking forward to this one :-(
Did you try the BK Disabler to disable what you don't want?

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
You should of waited and gotten the SD 845 version. This was a known issue with the exynos version that was reported last week or so. It was benchmarking slower than some year old and year and a half old phones. Something Samsung did by throttling it to keep it in line with the SD845 ruined it and caused it to be much slower.

They don’t sell the SD version here, I live in Europe. At least I’ve been able to uninstall some of the bloat - when I did a factory reset it asked me whether I want to remove the Samsung email client, Samsung pay and some other stuff (not calling Samsung pay bloat, just mentioning that it can be removed).

But speed is sub-par - def beneath the Pixel 2 and also slower than the Note8

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
From the sounds of it- going to Note (6 months ago?) To Pixel 2 XL, now this... Nothing is really going to be perfect.

Preinstalled can take up mneger storage and not even run. OEM and yes often unwanted and poorly written carrier apps.

I would expect a lot of imorovements from updates and even 8.1 at some point.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
What i have seen and heard exynos version 9810 is faster than sd 845...I have Note 8 and it's lighting fast zero complains...wonder y u find s9+ slow

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
So you got the phone today, and you already had a bunch of screen protectors already ready to go, tried all of them, determined in a matter of hours that it’s slow, and not as fast as a Pixel?

Man, you’re fast lol

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone that has their already, can you see if Samsung removed the picture in picture feature? You should be able to hit the home button whole watching Netflix, YouTube or navigating on maps and it'll keep a small window open instead of closing it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781