03-12-2018 04:38 AM
56 123
tools
    My Note 8 with this protector on it works great. No issues with sensitivity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6184918
    Thanks - I never had an issue with screen protectors on the Note - the S9+ seems to have a less sensitive panel though.
    03-10-2018 01:13 AM

And for those who are saying I’m lying / trolling: here are the ones I’ve tried so far. The Eiger is on at the moment but sucks just as bad as the others.
    03-10-2018 01:16 AM
    Anyone that has their already, can you see if Samsung removed the picture in picture feature? You should be able to hit the home button whole watching Netflix, YouTube or navigating on maps and it'll keep a small window open instead of closing it out.
    Doubt they remove it. They've had that since Marshmallow. Here's a screenshot from an S7 Edge on Nougat. Picture in picture in picture. S9 Plus going back-1520668960312.jpg
    03-10-2018 02:02 AM
    And here's a brief speed comparison between the two. It's unscientific but illustrates my point - the Pixel 2XL doesn't just feel a lot zippier to me overall, despite it's last-gen processor and smaller RAM size, it also loads larger apps faster in my opinion.

For this setup, the S9+ was set to FDH+ resolution and no apps were in the background on either phone.

Only thing I noticed is that the network speed seems slower on the Pixel 2XL, at least for my setup here (Unifi AC-Pro, both phones connected to the same 5ghz WLAN).

03-10-2018 02:07 AM
    I would try the Zagg Elite. It got great reviews on the Note 8 as well as the White Dome. Like I said previously. Out of all the reviews I read those are the only two consistent ones that were good. Well the first Zagg was horrible. They changed it around December and It seems they figured it out.
    zipro likes this.
    03-10-2018 02:41 AM
    And here's a brief speed comparison between the two. It's unscientific but illustrates my point - the Pixel 2XL doesn't just feel a lot zippier to me overall, despite it's last-gen processor and smaller RAM size, it also loads larger apps faster in my opinion.

For this setup, the S9+ was set to FDH+ resolution and no apps were in the background on either phone.

Only thing I noticed is that the network speed seems slower on the Pixel 2XL, at least for my setup here (Unifi AC-Pro, both phones connected to the same 5ghz WLAN).

Except there are caveats.

1. Two phones with the exact same hardware don't load the same game at the same speed, what more 2 phones of different hardware and optimization. You would better portray what you are claiming using multiple different apps and games like how phonebuff and xeetechcare does.

2. We know that the S9 SoC is supposedly more powerful, but with intentional crippling. Considering the crippling is a hardwarw throttle, I'd expect subsequent monthly updates to include performance tweaks.

Those are the only things you need to consider when faced when an S9 that is performing less than expected.

But anyhow, I agree with the above posters that you do not buy Samsung for the speed. Historically the Snapdragon Samsungs are among the lower end of speed among their peers. When buying a Samsung, you should know that all their features come at the price of absolute performance.
    areyes163 likes this.
    03-10-2018 02:47 AM
    I too have read that the exynos version should be faster than the SD version. If it is not then this is either a software or hardware issue that I would expect to be resolved either with an update or replacement.

Mine arrived today, setting it up now....
    03-10-2018 04:13 AM
    Except there are caveats.

1. Two phones with the exact same hardware don't load the same game at the same speed, what more 2 phones of different hardware and optimization. You would better portray what you are claiming using multiple different apps and games like how phonebuff and xeetechcare does.

2. We know that the S9 SoC is supposedly more powerful, but with intentional crippling. Considering the crippling is a hardwarw throttle, I'd expect subsequent monthly updates to include performance tweaks.

Those are the only things you need to consider when faced when an S9 that is performing less than expected.

But anyhow, I agree with the above posters that you do not buy Samsung for the speed. Historically the Snapdragon Samsungs are among the lower end of speed among their peers. When buying a Samsung, you should know that all their features come at the price of absolute performance.
    I agree with all of what you said - the question is just: why would you buy an S9 over a Pixel? I personally hate the Pixel's screen, that's why I figured I'd try the S9+. But apart from that, camera-wise the Pixel is excellent (as is the Samsung), but the S9 is slower and yeah, the screen protectors are an issue for a lot of people - I'm sure I'm not the only one here.
    03-10-2018 04:25 AM
    I agree with all of what you said - the question is just: why would you buy an S9 over a Pixel? I personally hate the Pixel's screen, that's why I figured I'd try the S9+. But apart from that, camera-wise the Pixel is excellent (as is the Samsung), but the S9 is slower and yeah, the screen protectors are an issue for a lot of people - I'm sure I'm not the only one here.
    Personally I would buy a Samsung over a Pixel for several reasons, most of which probably will not apply to you folks, but boils down to two things:

Support. I live in South East Asia, and Google is practically nonexistent here in terms of services. Play Music isn't available, selection on Movies and TV and Books are horrendous compared to say Netflix, and Kindle. Plus there is no official retailer for the Pixel. Buying a Pixel here is practically the same as buying a no name brand in if you're living in the US. Considering the fiasco on the screen and several members here actually going through 3 returns of the phone, Pixels are a bullet dodged.

Features. I appreciate Samsung features a lot. I use them a lot. In fact, I consider the Google apps except for the Play Store as bloat. They're the ones that get disabled on my device. It's mostly Samsung or Microsoft apps that I use. Heck Google's own Messenger doesn't even have the simple feature of pinning frequent contacts to the top of the conversation list, or even see the contact groups I made on my Gmail contacts for mass/group texting. Google's apps are just so lacking in features that from my point of view they might as well be useless.

Buying Pixel vs Samsung is basically buying a Subaru WRX vs an Audi A4, or BMW 320. Sure the Subaru is faster, but it's seats are less comfortable, there are less airbags, the ride on the Audi is smoother, etc. Sure the speed and capability of the WRX is fun for weekend fun driving, just as the speed of the Pixel is appreciated in gaming. But for everyday traffic grind I'd much more prefer the comfort of the Audi, just as I'd prefer all the features and creature comfort Samsung has that's already there without having to look for aftermarket solutions.
    03-10-2018 04:37 AM
    Sad that the New phone did not work out for you.
    03-10-2018 05:42 AM
    I would try the Zagg Elite. It got great reviews on the Note 8 as well as the White Dome. Like I said previously. Out of all the reviews I read those are the only two consistent ones that were good. Well the first Zagg was horrible. They changed it around December and It seems they figured it out.
    I would love to get Elite, but sold out everywhere. Where did you find?
    03-10-2018 06:56 AM
    I have one coming monday!! Ill post some pics and my impression then!
    I can confirm this. Just got one for the Note 8 and it works great. Highly recommended!

Bruce_Wayne8887 likes this.
    03-10-2018 07:36 AM
    Doubt they remove it. They've had that since Marshmallow. Here's a screenshot from an S7 Edge on Nougat. Picture in picture in picture. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1520668960312.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	280369
    Yes on my s7 i believe you could drag down from the top corner to minimize a window. In Oreo it's automatic with certain apps when you got the home button.
    03-10-2018 08:07 AM
    Yes on my s7 i believe you could drag down from the top corner to minimize a window. In Oreo it's automatic with certain apps when you got the home button.
    Wow, lots of things to consider. If you purchased the Samsung protection plan and even if you did not, my advice is to at least wait 1-2 weeks and try it as you should still be able to return it. Maybe there is a software update coming...or maybe you might have a defective unit? Seems like Everytime we make Snap decisions without fully considering things we regret it later.
    I do hope whatever you decide that you are happy...
    03-10-2018 09:19 AM
    I can confirm this. Just got one for the Note 8 and it works great. Highly recommended!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4a944d5e27.jpg
    I also tried several on my S8 and I am very happy with the OTAO
    03-10-2018 09:21 AM
    The question is why you would run out and buy a Samsung phone if you already had a Pixel? lol Didn’t you have the same problem with your S8?

Seems to me you would at least wait for some real hands on reviews. A Samsung phone is NEVER going to be as fast or fluid as a Pixel lol. That’s not why you buy a Samsung.

And the screen on the Pixel 2XL isn’t bad at all.
    buzzy3970, MarkMN and kmmill00 like this.
    03-10-2018 09:25 AM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3ff3ab7e70.jpg

And for those who are saying I’m lying / trolling: here are the ones I’ve tried so far. The Eiger is on at the moment but sucks just as bad as the others.
    I never thought you were lying. I found it funny that you had all that ready to go, without first figuring out if the phone is going to work for you or not.

Hopefully you can get your money back on all that stuff.
    kmmill00 likes this.
    03-10-2018 09:39 AM
    Wow, lots of things to consider. If you purchased the Samsung protection plan and even if you did not, my advice is to at least wait 1-2 weeks and try it as you should still be able to return it. Maybe there is a software update coming...or maybe you might have a defective unit? Seems like Everytime we make Snap decisions without fully considering things we regret it later.
    I do hope whatever you decide that you are happy...
    Oh i don't have mine yet i was just checking if Samsung kept that feature from Oreo. I got the 9+ for $500 so if i decide i like my 2xl better I'm just going to give the plus to my wife. Win win for me lol
    daswooski likes this.
    03-10-2018 10:08 AM
    Oh i don't have mine yet i was just checking if Samsung kept that feature from Oreo. I got the 9+ for $500 so if i decide i like my 2xl better I'm just going to give the plus to my wife. Win win for me lol
    Samsung may have kept the feature but altered some ways to access it. Anyways, I would expect Samsung to either alter it to work like their previous popup windows, or alter their implementation to work like the native one. But there is a very high chance that you'll just get one or the other.
    03-10-2018 10:14 AM
    Liquid screen protectors work great and no sensitivity issues.
    TMavC5 and zipro like this.
    03-10-2018 12:49 PM
    Didn't they add extra sensitivity toggle in Settings?
    03-10-2018 01:47 PM
    Didn't they add extra sensitivity toggle in Settings?
    I haven't found it on my Note 8s.
    03-10-2018 03:20 PM
    there is a setting for that in settings - advanced settings - touch sensitivity
    03-10-2018 03:23 PM
    Are you sure no screen protector works?? That's hard to believe.
    03-10-2018 03:24 PM
    I'm pretty confident in the Otao tempered glass. It works great for the Note 8, I can't imagine why it wouldn't for the s9+.
    kmmill00 likes this.
    03-10-2018 03:54 PM
56 123