03-12-2018 04:38 AM
56 123
tools
    Got it today, and came to this sobering conclusion fairly quickly:

- feels much slower than the Pixel 2 XL I sold for this one. Talking about the Exynos version

- won’t work with any kind of screen protector I’ve tried so far (two glass, one plastic). First phone I’ve ever had that gets its sensitivity drastically reduced even with a plastic screen protector. I won’t use this without a screen protector, too clumsy for that.

- while previous S8s and the Note 8 allowed me to uninstall most of the Samsung bloatware, this one doesn’t. Could be a carrier specific thing though.

- camera is great I suppose but won’t make up for the points above

Not sure how Samsung is planning on getting away with that, considering the S9 Plus with 64gb costs more than an iPhone here.

Anyway, first Samsung phone I’ve ever sent back. Had really been looking forward to this one :-(
    03-09-2018 06:01 AM
    Your sending back a phone because you can't find a screen protector that's crazy. Also the bloatware can be uninstalled. The pixel xl 2 is going to be faster considering it's a googl3 phone with pure android.
    03-09-2018 07:20 AM
    Your sending back a phone because you can't find a screen protector that's crazy. Also the bloatware can be uninstalled. The pixel xl 2 is going to be faster considering it's a googl3 phone with pure android.
    Yup, insurance won’t pay for scratches. And bloatware sucks. Slows down the phone and makes things unnecessarily complicated. The Pixel 2 XL has a now outdated processor, less RAM and a display that’s considerably worse and still feels faster.
    MarVaRa, tadpoles and QaAs Ash like this.
    03-09-2018 07:32 AM
    You seem surprised.
    Attached Thumbnails S9 Plus going back-img_1508503839945.jpg  
    03-09-2018 08:24 AM
    You should of waited and gotten the SD 845 version. This was a known issue with the exynos version that was reported last week or so. It was benchmarking slower than some year old and year and a half old phones. Something Samsung did by throttling it to keep it in line with the SD845 ruined it and caused it to be much slower.
    03-09-2018 08:43 AM

- feels much slower than the Pixel 2 XL I sold for this one. Talking about the Exynos version

- won’t work with any kind of screen protector I’ve tried so far (two glass, one plastic). First phone I’ve ever had that gets its sensitivity drastically reduced even with a plastic screen protector. I won’t use this without a screen protector, too clumsy for that.

- while previous S8s and the Note 8 allowed me to uninstall most of the Samsung bloatware, this one doesn’t. Could be a carrier specific thing though.

Not sure how Samsung is planning on getting away with that, considering the S9 Plus with 64gb costs more than an iPhone here.

Anyway, first Samsung phone I’ve ever sent back. Had really been looking forward to this one :-(
    Did you try the BK Disabler to disable what you don't want?
    03-09-2018 09:25 AM
    It should have a setting that allows you to increase screen sensitivity for screen protectors.
    zipro and jma78b like this.
    03-09-2018 09:48 AM
    You should of waited and gotten the SD 845 version. This was a known issue with the exynos version that was reported last week or so. It was benchmarking slower than some year old and year and a half old phones. Something Samsung did by throttling it to keep it in line with the SD845 ruined it and caused it to be much slower.
    They don’t sell the SD version here, I live in Europe. At least I’ve been able to uninstall some of the bloat - when I did a factory reset it asked me whether I want to remove the Samsung email client, Samsung pay and some other stuff (not calling Samsung pay bloat, just mentioning that it can be removed).

But speed is sub-par - def beneath the Pixel 2 and also slower than the Note8
    03-09-2018 12:05 PM
    OTAO tempered glass screen protectors work great with Samsung's curved screens.
    zipro and Bruce_Wayne8887 like this.
    03-09-2018 01:03 PM
    Tried three different ones and none of them worked. How are the OTAO different from other tempered glass ones?
    03-09-2018 01:17 PM
    You try the Zagg Elite and the White Dome. Those are the only two I know of that are supposed to work.
    03-09-2018 01:19 PM
    But didn't you know about it having bloatware and being less slower than the pixel before you pre-ordered ?
    CTgirl509 and jlczl like this.
    03-09-2018 01:25 PM
    You try the Zagg Elite and the White Dome. Those are the only two I know of that are supposed to work.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ml#post6161182

See the review in the link above on AC. I have used it on S8 and Note 8, no issues whatsoever.
    Stocklone likes this.
    03-09-2018 01:27 PM
    Smh.. This is NOT the pixel
    03-09-2018 02:32 PM
    From the sounds of it- going to Note (6 months ago?) To Pixel 2 XL, now this... Nothing is really going to be perfect.

Preinstalled can take up mneger storage and not even run. OEM and yes often unwanted and poorly written carrier apps.

I would expect a lot of imorovements from updates and even 8.1 at some point.
    03-09-2018 04:08 PM
    What i have seen and heard exynos version 9810 is faster than sd 845...I have Note 8 and it's lighting fast zero complains...wonder y u find s9+ slow
    03-09-2018 05:48 PM
    So you got the phone today, and you already had a bunch of screen protectors already ready to go, tried all of them, determined in a matter of hours that it’s slow, and not as fast as a Pixel?

Man, you’re fast lol
    03-09-2018 05:59 PM
    Sounds honestly like u werent sure if u wanted it in the first place and are just looking to justify sending it back.
    areyes163, MikeLW1984 and jma78b like this.
    03-09-2018 06:07 PM
    I have one coming monday!! Ill post some pics and my impression then!
    03-09-2018 06:07 PM
    Anyone that has their already, can you see if Samsung removed the picture in picture feature? You should be able to hit the home button whole watching Netflix, YouTube or navigating on maps and it'll keep a small window open instead of closing it out.
    03-09-2018 07:07 PM
    So you got the phone today, and you already had a bunch of screen protectors already ready to go, tried all of them, determined in a matter of hours that it’s slow, and not as fast as a Pixel?

Man, you’re fast lol
    That's what I thought. He's just trolling smh
    03-09-2018 07:24 PM

My Note 8 with this protector on it works great. No issues with sensitivity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6184761
    Attached Thumbnails S9 Plus going back-20180308_192336.jpg   S9 Plus going back-20180308_192326.jpg  
    03-09-2018 08:30 PM
    yes, and your point being? They ship earlier here than in the US - I always order a few protectors because usually one of them doesn't work or I mess up the installation. And yeah, the speed difference is painfully obvious.
    03-10-2018 01:08 AM
    Sounds honestly like u werent sure if u wanted it in the first place and are just looking to justify sending it back.
    Uh no - that's not true. I really wanted it, mainly because the Pixel has a terrible screen.
    03-10-2018 01:09 AM
    Anyone that has their already, can you see if Samsung removed the picture in picture feature? You should be able to hit the home button whole watching Netflix, YouTube or navigating on maps and it'll keep a small window open instead of closing it out.
    yeah that's not there as far as I can tell
    03-10-2018 01:12 AM
56 123