Based on the reputable reviews I'm not optimistic.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, something about the reviews on this phone thus far do not have me excited. I pre-ordered on launch day.

Presently I have the pixel XL 2. I have not red one review so far that is made me think that the S9 plus camera is going to top my pixel XL 2. Of course I am trying to be hopeful, but the reviews are leading me in a different direction.

I'll give it two weeks of fair usage. Anyone else get this vibe from the reviews? I watched as many reputable side-by-sides as I can on YouTube. Hands-On is the real test. I'll know within minutes if the camera is going to pass my tests. My tests are very basic point-and-shoot but I like to take quality photos easily. No manual mode for me. I had the v30 for about 6 hours before I returned it a few weeks ago.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That retouched "look" is the one I don't like.
e45dbe0bf44300dddbdee9533fdcfa14.jpg

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Not that I don't think the S9 is a capable or great device - I'm sure it is - but I doubt that its camera will be leagues better than the Pixel 2's. Most flagship phones these days are coming out with pretty good specs and decent-to-excellent cameras. The S9 won't make me sway my decision from the Pixel 2.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Not that I don't think the S9 is a capable or great device - I'm sure it is - but I doubt that its camera will be leagues better than the Pixel 2's. Most flagship phones these days are coming out with pretty good specs and decent-to-excellent cameras. The S9 won't make me sway my decision from the Pixel 2.
Not even the S9+?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I honestly don't really read the reviews I tried out for myself I take a look at when Samsung does their great presentations. We'll see how it does I'm going to be comparing it to my Note 8

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Presently I have the pixel XL 2. I have not red one review so far that is made me think that the S9 plus camera is going to top my pixel XL 2. Of course I am trying to be hopeful, but the reviews are leading me in a different direction.

From the reviews I've seen, it wouldn't surprise if the Pixel was slightly better on more than half the photos one might take, but the S9+ may be a little more versatile and able handle a broader range of situations. Whether or not S9+ is better might depend on how much those other situations apply to a given person.

Here is, I think, a good side by side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJEy6n3wcU

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
From the reviews I've seen, it wouldn't surprise if the Pixel was slightly better on more than half the photos one might take, but the S9+ may be a little more versatile and able handle a broader range of situations. Whether or not S9+ is better might depend on how much those other situations apply to a given person.

Here is, I think, a good side by side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJEy6n3wcU
Excellent comparison.. Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one yet.. Hands down for me after viewing this video. Again, I'll give it two weeks of real world usage and decide.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Not even the Plus! I'm a fan of smaller phones. The smaller Pixel 2 is a better choice for me, personally. :)
I meant for the camera alone. But the Pixel 2 has the same awesome camera in both variants so if you're a fan of the smaller version you're in luck there.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, something about the reviews on this phone thus far do not have me excited. I pre-ordered on launch day.

I'll give it two weeks of fair usage. Anyone else get this vibe from the reviews? I watched as many reputable side-by-sides as I can on YouTube. Hands-On is the real test. I'll know within minutes if the camera is going to pass my tests. My tests are very basic point-and-shoot but I like to take quality photos easily. No manual mode for me. I had the v30 for about 6 hours before I returned it a few weeks ago.

I'd keep the Pixel 2 XL and cancel the S9+ order if it was me.

After reading the lukewarm reviews, I canceled my S9+ preorder. I don't see anything much different on the S9+ from last year's models. I saw hundreds of photo samples from the S9+ on various reviews and YouTube videos and I still think the Pixel 2 XL takes better pictures. That combined with the fantastic battery life and fast software updates is what's keeping me tied to Google and Apple.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

After reading the lukewarm reviews, I canceled my S9+ preorder. I don't see anything much different on the S9+ from last year's models. I saw hundreds of photo samples from the S9+ on various reviews and YouTube videos and I still think the Pixel 2 XL takes better pictures. That combined with the fantastic battery life and fast software updates is what's keeping me tied to Google and Apple.

I thought you weren't planning on getting one from the jump. What made you preorder it?

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Considering I have 20 days to return the device with no restocking fee I'll give it a shot. It's risk free.

First two things I do when I buy a phone are test the camera and call someone on speak phone and ask them how I sound.

The S8+ would have been returned upon purchase if the original pixel had some waterproofing. Horrible speakerphone and mediocre camera shots on the S8+

Here's hoping.

otis stansberry

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I mean why is everyone obsessed with the camera. ...Yes I like a nice Camara but low light, high light blah blah blah..It's a Phone that happens to take pics......

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
well I just upgraded from s8+ tonight should receive it between 13 or 15 it says , i played with it in best buy i ordered the new purple color so I'll see soon ..i have the pixel 2xl and iPhone x to compare

Last edited:

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
This will be the first year I don't get the latest galaxy on release. I have the S8 currently and I don't think I'll bother with the S9..
I wanted the active variant but it seems that's only in the USA, and Samsung Australia won't honour any warranty on a device purchased elsewhere they say.
I'm considering leaving Samsung for a more rugged device like the Cat or similar, I'm over all this delicate glass curved screen stuff..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca