03-13-2018 12:36 PM
65 123
tools
    I don't know, something about the reviews on this phone thus far do not have me excited. I pre-ordered on launch day.

Presently I have the pixel XL 2. I have not red one review so far that is made me think that the S9 plus camera is going to top my pixel XL 2. Of course I am trying to be hopeful, but the reviews are leading me in a different direction.

I'll give it two weeks of fair usage. Anyone else get this vibe from the reviews? I watched as many reputable side-by-sides as I can on YouTube. Hands-On is the real test. I'll know within minutes if the camera is going to pass my tests. My tests are very basic point-and-shoot but I like to take quality photos easily. No manual mode for me. I had the v30 for about 6 hours before I returned it a few weeks ago.
    neo158 likes this.
    03-10-2018 09:50 AM
    That retouched "look" is the one I don't like.
    03-10-2018 09:52 AM
    Not that I don't think the S9 is a capable or great device - I'm sure it is - but I doubt that its camera will be leagues better than the Pixel 2's. Most flagship phones these days are coming out with pretty good specs and decent-to-excellent cameras. The S9 won't make me sway my decision from the Pixel 2.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-10-2018 09:52 AM
    Not that I don't think the S9 is a capable or great device - I'm sure it is - but I doubt that its camera will be leagues better than the Pixel 2's. Most flagship phones these days are coming out with pretty good specs and decent-to-excellent cameras. The S9 won't make me sway my decision from the Pixel 2.
    Not even the S9+?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-10-2018 09:55 AM
    I honestly don't really read the reviews I tried out for myself I take a look at when Samsung does their great presentations. We'll see how it does I'm going to be comparing it to my Note 8
    20blks likes this.
    03-10-2018 09:59 AM
    Presently I have the pixel XL 2. I have not red one review so far that is made me think that the S9 plus camera is going to top my pixel XL 2. Of course I am trying to be hopeful, but the reviews are leading me in a different direction.
    From the reviews I've seen, it wouldn't surprise if the Pixel was slightly better on more than half the photos one might take, but the S9+ may be a little more versatile and able handle a broader range of situations. Whether or not S9+ is better might depend on how much those other situations apply to a given person.

Here is, I think, a good side by side:
    03-10-2018 10:09 AM
    From the reviews I've seen, it wouldn't surprise if the Pixel was slightly better on more than half the photos one might take, but the S9+ may be a little more versatile and able handle a broader range of situations. Whether or not S9+ is better might depend on how much those other situations apply to a given person.

Here is, I think, a good side by side:
    Excellent comparison.. Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one yet.. Hands down for me after viewing this video. Again, I'll give it two weeks of real world usage and decide.
    03-10-2018 10:20 AM
    Not even the S9+?
    Not even the Plus! I'm a fan of smaller phones. The smaller Pixel 2 is a better choice for me, personally.
    milehigherik likes this.
    03-10-2018 10:36 AM
    Not even the Plus! I'm a fan of smaller phones. The smaller Pixel 2 is a better choice for me, personally.
    I meant for the camera alone. But the Pixel 2 has the same awesome camera in both variants so if you're a fan of the smaller version you're in luck there.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-10-2018 12:49 PM
    Google cooked up some decent algorithms for their Pixels.. I love their EIS better than any OIS in the market.
    03-10-2018 01:03 PM
    I meant for the camera alone. But the Pixel 2 has the same awesome camera in both variants so if you're a fan of the smaller version you're in luck there.
    Oh, I get what you're saying! Camera specs and quality are really significant to many users.
    03-10-2018 01:13 PM
    I haven't tried the Pixel 2 but all this talk about its camera makes me eager.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-10-2018 02:00 PM
    I don't know, something about the reviews on this phone thus far do not have me excited. I pre-ordered on launch day.

I'll give it two weeks of fair usage. Anyone else get this vibe from the reviews? I watched as many reputable side-by-sides as I can on YouTube. Hands-On is the real test. I'll know within minutes if the camera is going to pass my tests. My tests are very basic point-and-shoot but I like to take quality photos easily. No manual mode for me. I had the v30 for about 6 hours before I returned it a few weeks ago.
    I'd keep the Pixel 2 XL and cancel the S9+ order if it was me.

After reading the lukewarm reviews, I canceled my S9+ preorder. I don't see anything much different on the S9+ from last year's models. I saw hundreds of photo samples from the S9+ on various reviews and YouTube videos and I still think the Pixel 2 XL takes better pictures. That combined with the fantastic battery life and fast software updates is what's keeping me tied to Google and Apple.
    03-10-2018 02:29 PM

After reading the lukewarm reviews, I canceled my S9+ preorder. I don't see anything much different on the S9+ from last year's models. I saw hundreds of photo samples from the S9+ on various reviews and YouTube videos and I still think the Pixel 2 XL takes better pictures. That combined with the fantastic battery life and fast software updates is what's keeping me tied to Google and Apple.
    I thought you weren't planning on getting one from the jump. What made you preorder it?
    03-10-2018 02:55 PM

Considering I have 20 days to return the device with no restocking fee I'll give it a shot. It's risk free.

First two things I do when I buy a phone are test the camera and call someone on speak phone and ask them how I sound.

The S8+ would have been returned upon purchase if the original pixel had some waterproofing. Horrible speakerphone and mediocre camera shots on the S8+

Here's hoping.
    RaRa85 likes this.
    03-10-2018 03:20 PM
    Loving my s9 and s9+ so far. They are the dogs bits......
    westiewanderer likes this.
    03-10-2018 03:45 PM
    I mean why is everyone obsessed with the camera. ...Yes I like a nice Camara but low light, high light blah blah blah..It's a Phone that happens to take pics......
    Macklesdaddy and emilioaponte like this.
    03-10-2018 06:46 PM
    It's simply not an exciting device. That doesn't make it a bad device, it's probably an awesome device.
    milehigherik likes this.
    03-10-2018 07:37 PM
    well I just upgraded from s8+ tonight should receive it between 13 or 15 it says , i played with it in best buy i ordered the new purple color so I'll see soon ..i have the pixel 2xl and iPhone x to compare
    milehigherik and RevePro like this.
    03-10-2018 07:52 PM
    This will be the first year I don't get the latest galaxy on release. I have the S8 currently and I don't think I'll bother with the S9..
    I wanted the active variant but it seems that's only in the USA, and Samsung Australia won't honour any warranty on a device purchased elsewhere they say.
    I'm considering leaving Samsung for a more rugged device like the Cat or similar, I'm over all this delicate glass curved screen stuff..
    03-10-2018 07:56 PM
    I would definitely wait for the pixel 3 if the camera is your biggest concern. I can't see anyone pulling ahead of them this generation.
    milehigherik, wk123 and Mike328 like this.
    03-10-2018 08:57 PM
    I can't see anyone pulling ahead of them this generation.
    I think I agree, yet I hope someone does. Having an unchallenged dominant doesn't help us, we need to keep them on their toes, keep them advancing.
    milehigherik likes this.
    03-10-2018 09:30 PM
    I don't think the S9 camera is that much better than even the S8.

Sure, low light will definitely be better and all the new features (minus AR Emoji) are great, but the image quality itself doesn't seem that different except the multi frame noise reduction.
    03-10-2018 09:39 PM
    I don't think the S9 camera is that much better than even the S8.

Sure, low light will definitely be better and all the new features (minus AR Emoji) are great, but the image quality itself doesn't seem that different except the multi frame noise reduction.
    Do you really think smartphone cameras in general are going to get much better? They’ll come with better set ups and apertures that lesson the noise. But it’s getting harder and harder to tell what camera is the best. They’re all good. Certainly good enough to find others reasons to choose a phone
    emilioaponte likes this.
    03-10-2018 11:42 PM
    Do you really think smartphone cameras in general are going to get much better? They’ll come with better set ups and apertures that lesson the noise. But it’s getting harder and harder to tell what camera is the best. They’re all good. Certainly good enough to find others reasons to choose a phone
    Honestly, only in ways where shutterbugs realize.

One thing to understand is that for the general consumer, they're uploaded to places like Instagram, Facebook and all, which apply heavy compression in order to save on bandwidth. So you're definitely losing some quality, and in some cases, a load of them will be lost.

I don't mean that as a bad thing, but let's be honest. There will be people who get all disappointed over the S9's results being marginally improved over the S8, even though realistically, unless some of them understand photography, they can't even notice
    03-11-2018 05:41 AM
65 123