S9 sales less than expected.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Still, how could S9 sales be as good? No void to fill from the Note 7. Also, the change from the S7 to S8 was far more significant for chipset, camera, battery life, display and design. Seems a tad ignorant by those calling out less sales.

One amongst several, but still not seeing how even Samsung would expect equal or more sales than the S8. More competition now, less of a jump from the S8 and no huge Note 7 gap to fill. A lot of people went to the 8+ that were Note owners, including me.

http://bgr.com/2018/03/12/galaxy-s9-vs-galaxy-s8-first-day-sales/

Last edited:

Commodus

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Samsung isn't likely to give official numbers (it didn't even with the S8, which represented a return to form), so analyst estimates and unofficial sources may be as good as it gets.

It won't be surprising if pre-orders are way down, though. What you're experiencing is the iPhone 6s/8 effect: it's hard to keep the sales pace up when you're ultimately selling a refinement of last year's more dramatic update. The difference is that Samsung has to depend primarily on the S9 series where Apple has the iPhone X to compensate.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The important thing here is that none of the analysts know how many phones Samsung predicted that they were going to sell for pre-orders. None of them know how many pre-orders were ordered. None of them knows how many people are waiting for Best Buy's easter sale. Etc, etc. If they actually had pre-order data, they could potentially say, S9 sales are less than the S8 sold in the same period last year. But they can't say it's less than expected, nor can they provide any evidentiary reasoning for the difference in sales.. if that difference even exists. And as for this trend of citing SAMMOBILE and BGR... once again, those rags are NOT sources of FACTUAL NEWS. They're both fiction. BGR is the national inquirer of tech blogs.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Also, doesn’t Samsung usually give out freebies with pre-orders? There’s really little incentive to order early this year when you can just walk into a store later this week and get one get one without the ups hassle

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I was about the say the same thing Johnny. They aren't giving anything away so why would you preorder? I preordered on the 1st day for my wife from Best Buy so I could get $100 off. Outside of that there was nothing compelling.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Still, how could S9 sales be as good? No void to fill from the Note 7. Also, the change from the S7 to S8 was far more significant for chipset, camera, battery life, display and design. Seems a tad ignorant by those calling out less sales.

One amongst several, but still not seeing how even Samsung would expect equal or more sales than the S8. More competition now, less of a jump from the S8 and no huge Note 7 gap to fill. A lot of people went to the 8+ that were Note owners, including me.

Galaxy S9 first-day sales reportedly much lower than Galaxy S8, but overall goal still higher – BGR

I was one of them. The s7 edge was driving me nuts and I need a faster and bigger screen. I told myself I wouldn't buy the Note 8 and keep the s8 Plus but the spen and 6gb ram was too tempting. I plan on getting the Note 9. Unless it has some crazy price tag like at least $1,000 before taxes, then I'd go for the cheaper s9 Plus possibly but 90 percent certain I will be getting Note 9 in sept.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Because S8 users won't be considering an upgrade.

If I didn't have the Note 8 and still used my S8 Plus I would have upgraded still. I don't see very many Note users upgrading. For a slightly new processor it's not worth losing the spen IMO. Hell yea I'm getting Note 9.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the big picture is still being missed. How could anyone including Samsung (if they do) expect the S9 to have same or better sales?

No Note 7 gap the 8+ filled for millions that did not wait for the Note 8

Less of a tech improvement compared to S7 to S8

More comparative competition

Seems anyone expecting same or greater sales is a tad delusional.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I think the big picture is still being missed. How could anyone including Samsung (if they do) expect the S9 to have same or better sales?

No Note 7 gap the 8+ filled for millions that did not wait for the Note 8

Less of a tech improvement compared to S7 to S8

More comparative competition

Seems anyone expecting same or greater sales is a tad delusional.

Add in rise of the midrange competition from moto, oneplus, huawei, zte, etc., not just other flagships that rival it. Also add in slumping flagship sales in general.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with some of the others it's just too soon to say. HOWEVER would it surprise me if sales of the S9 are less than the S8? Not at all. The S8 was groundbreaking, MUCH different than previous models, but the S9 is just the S8 bumped up a bit.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I keep looking for sales on Note 8. It still looks like a better phone to me. I like the s9+ looks and size but I like spen features

JLD94

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I had the S8+ last year and ended up taking it back for random restarts on 2 phones. I didn't like the idea of curved edges then, and it was confirmed when I had the phone. The S9/S9+ feel a lot different to me for some reason, but one thing that keeps me from doing anything was the curved edges. Also with sales less than expected (I have read in a couple of places Samsung expected 10-15% increase) there are bound to be more deals coming soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz