03-15-2018 10:34 AM
39 12
tools
    S9 sales down big time compared to the s8. I'm not shocked. Not a huge difference from the s8 and Note 8 this time. Also, last year many like myself who had the Note 7 upgraded ASAP to the s8 plus because we were stuck with the s7 edge and the small screen so we jumped all over the s8 Plus. I couldn't wait for the s8 plus another minute.

03-11-2018 06:59 PM
    No shock here. At some point, people will not feel the need to get a phone every 12 months. Just not me......
    03-11-2018 07:05 PM
    Because there was no Note, I'm guessing S8 sales got somewhat of a boost.
    03-11-2018 07:19 PM
    Because there was no Note, I'm guessing S8 sales got somewhat of a boost.
    I agree, especially for Note users. The s8 plus was the only new big screen option to get so we jumped all over it.

I know if the Note 7 wasn't nixed I wouldn't have bought an S8 Plus and likely stayed until the Note 8.

I will say the Note 7 I loved the feel in the hand over the Note 8. Yea Note 8 better internals and such but I mean overall. I liked the Size and form of the Note 7. I liked typing on it more and writing on the screen more. THe note 8 like the s8 feels narrow for me.
    natureboy72 likes this.
    03-11-2018 08:23 PM
    Jesus, it’s not even officially release day yet lmao
    Itsa_Me_Mario and DMP89145 like this.
    03-11-2018 08:59 PM
    Garbage in, garbage out. imo we should avoid spreading misinformation.
    03-11-2018 09:01 PM
    No shock here. At some point, people will not feel the need to get a phone every 12 months. Just not me......
    It's not just Samsung. New phone sales are declining for all manufacturers.
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/sam...low-1520360479
    03-11-2018 09:09 PM
    There's not much new technology wise. More and more people are content with their devices. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. Unless there's new new, super long lasting battery out there..... All we will see are minor improvements from phone to phone
    DMP89145 and Hammerpgh like this.
    03-11-2018 09:12 PM
    After reviews and playing with one for about 30-45 minutes I was not impressed enough to switch from my Pixel. however we are the extreme minority as most customers likely upgrade per 24 month cycle and I imagine with the Note 7 recall the S8's sales were an anomaly and artificially boosted. I feel people don't worry about preorders with Samsung phones like Apple as you can always walk into a store and pick one up on release day.
    03-11-2018 09:18 PM
    I agree, especially for Note users. The s8 plus was the only new big screen option to get so we jumped all over it.

I know if the Note 7 wasn't nixed I wouldn't have bought an S8 Plus and likely stayed until the Note 8.

I will say the Note 7 I loved the feel in the hand over the Note 8. Yea Note 8 better internals and such but I mean overall. I liked the Size and form of the Note 7. I liked typing on it more and writing on the screen more. THe note 8 like the s8 feels narrow for me.
    Yeah, loved my Note 7 and hated to give it up. Will get the 9 when the time comes.
    03-11-2018 11:14 PM
    Yeah, right. No sources, no actual data. Just "reports" out of Korea on the first day of sales there. I searched for backing information and the only two sites reporting this are Apple fanboy sites (BGR and Apple Insider). No one, at this point, has the slightest idea what sales are. Probably not even Samsung. This is just more stupid hype designed to get clicks.
    Preorders in US down as well. Look up analyst discussions stating reviews will need to be stellar to help change the initial trend. S8 though had the sales boost from Note 7 owners who would normally have not bought the S9. The story is correct, but based on the false premise the S9 would have similar sales. How could it? Different conditions and the S8 and Plus still rock. Cancelling my S9 + preorder at BB until battery life is better understood. Plus hoping a 128gb version is offered later. That, or the Note 9 might.
    03-11-2018 11:31 PM
    Is that really "less than expected" though? I don't think Samsung expected S9 sales to be higher than S8 sales. Perhaps "S9 sales less than S8 sales" would be a more apt title.
    03-11-2018 11:36 PM
    Preorders in US down as well. Look up analyst discussions stating reviews will need to be stellar to help change the initial trend. S8 though had the sales boost from Note 7 owners who would normally have not bought the S9. The story is correct, but based on the false premise the S9 would have similar sales. How could it? Different conditions and the S8 and Plus still rock. Cancelling my S9 + preorder at BB until battery life is better understood. Plus hoping a 128gb version is offered later. That, or the Note 9 might.
    I agree. The only premium large screen option Samsung had at the time was buying the Note 5 and some carriers by early last year already quit selling the Note 5. So it was either wait for Note 8 or buy the S8 plus. The s7 edge was too small for me and laggy. I hated it. My regular S7 was much smoother but too small for me. I couldn't take it any longer and jumped on s8 Plus.

I doubt this, but was the plus sized s8 already designed before the Note 7 fiasco, or did they scramble and decide to make a larger version of the s8 when that happened? If so would we even have a large screen S line if the Note 7 fiasco didn't happen.

It will be interesting to see Note 8 sales. If many people didn't buy the s9 Plus because they already own a S8 Plus or Note 8 will they upgrade to the Note 9?
    03-12-2018 12:53 AM
    Yeah, right. No sources, no actual data. Just "reports" out of Korea on the first day of sales there. I searched for backing information and the only two sites reporting this are Apple fanboy sites (BGR and Apple Insider). No one, at this point, has the slightest idea what sales are. Probably not even Samsung. This is just more stupid hype designed to get clicks.
    It's based on the pre-orders numbers
    03-12-2018 02:17 AM
    Maybe because, it isn't much of an upgrade specs wise
    03-12-2018 03:34 AM
    I just upgraded from S6 to S8 in October/November no need to get an S9
    Hammerpgh likes this.
    03-12-2018 06:49 AM
    If analysts are saying it needs good reviews in order to sell, those analysts should be replaced. Reviews don't sell phones. Most people in the US still buy whatever the salesperson in their carrier store tells them to buy. Likewise, a ton of people pre-ordered the s9 with no information about it other than it's available for pre-order and on sale. Globally, a tiny minority of smartphone buyers read online reviews or watch them on YouTube. Afaik there's no such thing as a smartphone review with over half a billion views.
    03-12-2018 07:35 AM
    Well its pre-order and first day sales numbers are down from S8, Galaxy S9 first-day sales reportedly much lower than Galaxy S8, but overall goal still higher – BGR

As mentioned above, there is an overall decline is global smartphone sales likely due to slow down in innovation and high price points in premium phones. Cheap china manufacturers also hurt their sales. Huawei's market share has been increasing.
    03-12-2018 08:38 AM
    I don't really care if sales are lower than the S8 tbh.....
    Personally the S9+ is a worthwhile upgrade over my Note 8.
    Better FPS placement
    Better faster specs upgrades
    Better camera
    Better faster coverage due to T-Mobile bands and 600mhtz built in to the phone
    Itsa_Me_Mario and jma78b like this.
    03-12-2018 09:26 AM
    I don't really care if sales are lower than the S8 tbh.....
    Personally the S9+ is a worthwhile upgrade over my Note 8.
    Better FPS placement
    Better faster specs upgrades
    Better camera
    Better faster coverage due to T-Mobile bands and 600mhtz built in to the phone
    Good point, who cares how many it sells. The question is should each individual get it - and whether or not 1 or 100 other people do should have no bearing on that answer.
    jma78b likes this.
    03-12-2018 10:06 AM
    Still, how could S9 sales be as good? No void to fill from the Note 7. Also, the change from the S7 to S8 was far more significant for chipset, camera, battery life, display and design. Seems a tad ignorant by those calling out less sales.

One amongst several, but still not seeing how even Samsung would expect equal or more sales than the S8. More competition now, less of a jump from the S8 and no huge Note 7 gap to fill. A lot of people went to the 8+ that were Note owners, including me.

http://bgr.com/2018/03/12/galaxy-s9-...rst-day-sales/
    03-12-2018 10:27 AM
    Samsung isn't likely to give official numbers (it didn't even with the S8, which represented a return to form), so analyst estimates and unofficial sources may be as good as it gets.

It won't be surprising if pre-orders are way down, though. What you're experiencing is the iPhone 6s/8 effect: it's hard to keep the sales pace up when you're ultimately selling a refinement of last year's more dramatic update. The difference is that Samsung has to depend primarily on the S9 series where Apple has the iPhone X to compensate.
    03-12-2018 11:32 AM
    It's based on the pre-orders numbers
    True... but time will tell. If it is the case expect some pretty good deals in a couple of months
    03-12-2018 12:40 PM
    We'll see how it all shakes out.
    03-12-2018 12:49 PM
    The important thing here is that none of the analysts know how many phones Samsung predicted that they were going to sell for pre-orders. None of them know how many pre-orders were ordered. None of them knows how many people are waiting for Best Buy's easter sale. Etc, etc. If they actually had pre-order data, they could potentially say, S9 sales are less than the S8 sold in the same period last year. But they can't say it's less than expected, nor can they provide any evidentiary reasoning for the difference in sales.. if that difference even exists. And as for this trend of citing SAMMOBILE and BGR... once again, those rags are NOT sources of FACTUAL NEWS. They're both fiction. BGR is the national inquirer of tech blogs.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    03-12-2018 12:55 PM
39 12