08-07-2018 01:10 PM
57 123
tools
    Agree reception has been awesome for me at home/work/in-between. And also damn I had not seen LTE speeds like this on my previous phones including iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL. Think was getting around 160 Mbps but this one smokes it (354 Mbps). Got to retest on my other phones if it's due to network improvements or due to additional radios in S9+.

Unlocked model on T-MOBILE
    03-18-2018 08:05 PM
    I have the Note 8 and S9Plus side by side and they are within 2 to 3 db of each other in terms of signal using the LTE Discovery app. Note 8 usually on top, which was very similar to what I saw when I had the S8Plus.
    03-18-2018 08:10 PM
    Helpful for folks to please point out what model, since radio differences between the 845 and 8910. If AT&T is mentioned, or other carriers, we can figure out. Not so without specifics.
    03-18-2018 09:56 PM
    Well mine is the AT&T version and so far mine rocks. Much better signal than my Note 8. And also my iPhone 8 and 8 plus I had.
    03-18-2018 11:05 PM
    I've had my S9+ a few days now and the phone reception is noticeably worse than my previous S7.

I took my SIM from my S7 and put it into the S9+

Immediately the very first call I took the call dropped after a few minutes. This has continued ever since.

I have weak phone reception where I am but my S7 managed ok 90% of the time on 2 bars. The S9 shows less than this. The only way I can have any phone call of more than a couple of minutes is to change to 3G and even then it sometimes drops.

For a new phone this is very disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions?

I'm considering sending it back as faulty.

Thanks
    Try hitting carrier configuration twice and u can update carrier settings
    Attached Thumbnails S9+ poor phone reception -  worse than S7-424.jpg  
    03-19-2018 12:00 AM
    Like this
    Attached Thumbnails S9+ poor phone reception -  worse than S7-425.jpg  
    03-19-2018 12:01 AM
    I have the Note 8 and S9Plus side by side and they are within 2 to 3 db of each other in terms of signal using the LTE Discovery app. Note 8 usually on top, which was very similar to what I saw when I had the S8Plus.
    Seen feedback in Europe where some folks are noticing weaker signal with the 9810 version, but most folks with the 845 version that I’ve seen feedback state it is significantly better than the 7 and 8 models. That’s good, since found all previous Samsung phones mediocre for signal reception. The Note 7 and 8+ are slightly weaker even than previous models, based on my experience.
    03-19-2018 12:06 AM
    Can’t it be carrier issue
    03-19-2018 05:44 AM
    signal strength at my house is weak due to living in a valley, my iphone 7 on average has 2 bars so i was concerned that the s9 might not get the same level.... my fears were soothed after doing some testing in various rooms and finding the s9 is getting about the same dbm levels as the iphone 7...i even streamed some amazon prime movies on cell signal and didnt get any disruptions....I also remembered when i had the s8 that bluetooth was weaker than my iphone 7, however the s9 doesnt have this issue. I can walk to other rooms and my garmin fenix 3 watch doesnt lose connection where the s8 would
    03-19-2018 07:40 AM
    US T-Mobile. S9+. Have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid crystal case on.

Reception for the most part is really good.

Gym sauna room though. My S8+ usually works 80% of the time (though slow to fully load sometimes). My S9+ so far 0% (tried 4 times/days now).

Tried the carrier configuration version update just now but its still the same version. Not sure it it'll do anything but we'll see tomorrow during my gym session.
    03-19-2018 08:02 PM
    US T-Mobile. S9+. Have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid crystal case on.

Reception for the most part is really good.

Gym sauna room though. My S8+ usually works 80% of the time (though slow to fully load sometimes). My S9+ so far 0% (tried 4 times/days now).

Tried the carrier configuration version update just now but its still the same version. Not sure it it'll do anything but we'll see tomorrow during my gym session.
    Maybe try putting in airplane mode for a minute to let the network refresh see if that helps when u see no connection
    11B1P likes this.
    03-19-2018 08:35 PM
    Maybe try putting in airplane mode for a minute to let the network refresh see if that helps when u see no connection
    It shows 3-4 bars and 4G LTE...just web pages, facebook, even google play wont load.

But ill try that.
    03-19-2018 08:37 PM
    It shows 3-4 bars and 4G LTE...just web pages, facebook, even google play wont load.

But ill try that.
    That's interesting... did try factory reset and see what happens?
    03-19-2018 08:47 PM
    also before factory reset they have in the setting to reset network settings.. try that first
    03-19-2018 08:49 PM
    My 9+ 945 on Verizon seems to have the same or slightly better reception as my 8+ did. Not significantly better, but that’s better than it being worse.
    03-19-2018 11:13 PM
    Ok hello again everyone.

I posted the original item about dropping calls on the S9+ and after just over 2 weeks of use and fault finding with Samsung the result is that my phone IS BEING RETURNED AS FAULTY.

Just to be clear - this is nothing to do with poor signal strength or whether this S9 gets weaker/stronger signal than other phones - the signal strength shows the same db and % signal strength as my S7 EDGE (see first page in this thread).

The issue is that the S9+ CONSISTENTLY DROPS CALLS, every few minutes, it did it 3 times during a 20 min call to Samsung themselves. It is very repeatable - I just need to call my voicemail and wait a few mins and the call is dropped. This is the issue and it makes the phone pretty much unusable unless you don't make phone calls very much that is or enjoy re-dialling every few mins. It seems to be mainly when the signal is less than full strength although not always.

The phone came direct from Samsung and is unlocked.
    SM-G965F (S9+ HYBRID SIM 128GB)
    Android 8.0.0
    Security patch level 1st March 2018
    Network is Vodafone UK

This is what I tried...
    - Making outgoing calls vs receiving incoming calls
    - Changing settings from 4G+ to 3G/2G autoswitch
    - Changing settings from 4G+ to 2G
    - New replacement SIM card
    - Factory reset the S9+ phone and installed with standard google / samsung apps
    - Factory reset the S9+ phone and installed with minimum possible apps - deselected every feature possible, no WiFi

All of the above made absolutely NO difference at all.

Also
    - Calls from different locations up to 60 miles away - so not the cell tower
    - Static and while moving in a car - the transitions between cell towers were very noticeable - the displayed signal went to zero, the call audio dropped and then a few seconds later (3-5 maybe) the signal came back and the call resumed

Put my SIM in my S7 and it's totally fine again - people commented immediately on how much clearer the call was and the call did not suffer from the voices fading out and dropping. I also don't get poor cell tower transitions - it is seamless again as you would expect.

Conclusion - this S9+ phone has a fundamental technical issue. When I get the replacement handset I will find out if it's just the one I had or if there's a general design flaw with the S9+.

Overall pretty terrible for a "flagship" handset, incredibly frustrating and simply unusable for making calls. Unless my replacement resolves this it will also be going back to Samsung like the first one and I will not be using an S9 any more.
    11B1P likes this.
    03-20-2018 12:27 PM
    Ok hello again everyone.

I posted the original item about dropping calls on the S9+ and after just over 2 weeks of use and fault finding with Samsung the result is that my phone IS BEING RETURNED AS FAULTY.

Just to be clear - this is nothing to do with poor signal strength or whether this S9 gets weaker/stronger signal than other phones - the signal strength shows the same db and % signal strength as my S7 EDGE (see first page in this thread).

The issue is that the S9+ CONSISTENTLY DROPS CALLS, every few minutes, it did it 3 times during a 20 min call to Samsung themselves. It is very repeatable - I just need to call my voicemail and wait a few mins and the call is dropped. This is the issue and it makes the phone pretty much unusable unless you don't make phone calls very much that is or enjoy re-dialling every few mins. It seems to be mainly when the signal is less than full strength although not always.

Android 8.0.0
    Network is Vodafone UK

This is what I tried...
    - Factory reset the S9+ phone and installed with minimum possible apps - deselected every feature possible, no WiFi

Also
    - Static and while moving in a car - the transitions between cell towers were very noticeable - the displayed signal went to zero, the call audio dropped and then a few seconds later (3-5 maybe) the signal came back and the call resumed

Put my SIM in my S7 and it's totally fine again - people commented immediately on how much clearer the call was and the call did not suffer from the voices fading out and dropping. I also don't get poor cell tower transitions - it is seamless again as you would expect.

Conclusion - this S9+ phone has a fundamental technical issue. When I get the replacement handset I will find out if it's just the one I had or if there's a general design flaw with the S9+.

Overall pretty terrible for a "flagship" handset, incredibly frustrating and simply unusable for making calls. Unless my replacement resolves this it will also be going back to Samsung like the first one and I will not be using an S9 any more.
    Best of luck. Hopefully your new phone solves the issue for you. So far I have not had this problem.
    03-20-2018 12:43 PM
    Ok hello again everyone.

Android 8.0.0
    Network is Vodafone UK

This is what I tried...

Also

Sorry to hear about your issue. Hopefully the replacement fixes it.
    03-20-2018 07:34 PM
    also before factory reset they have in the setting to reset network settings.. try that first
    Tried that and also entered the APN myself. So far it fixed it. Hopefully it stays fixed.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-20-2018 07:35 PM
    Tried that and also entered the APN myself. So far it fixed it. Hopefully it stays fixed.
    I hope it works out... keep us posted
    03-21-2018 08:42 AM
    After using the Verizon 9+ more, the actual reception is noticeably better than the 8+, S8, S7 and Note 7 were. Seems the same as my Moto X Pure was, which is a good thing.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    03-21-2018 10:48 AM
    Ok hello again everyone.

Android 8.0.0
    Network is Vodafone UK

This is what I tried...

Also

I am having the exact same issue with mine. I have a Exynos S9+ which I got from Vodafone in Ireland, it looks like it is faulty. I swapped sim cards, using the same sim card in my old S6 which is working perfectly. I need to replace it with a new model on Saturday. I'm doubtful that this will fix my issue. Did yours get replaced, any better?
    03-22-2018 06:26 AM
    I had calls dropping like crazy on my s9+. Almost every call short or long ended up with a call drop. Using the same sim in exactly the same location was just fine using my S7 edge. I took my device to Samsung and they tested it with their system that showed in the logs (call drops due to low network) which was not the case. So I asked them to try and make a phone call and keep it on speaker phone which they did, and 3 out of 3 calls they made were dropped. I'm getting a brand new replacement device tomorrow. Hope it works flawlessly after this disappointment. Otherwise I'm going to demand my money and skip the S9+ altogether. Maybe a better flagship comes out soon.
    03-23-2018 09:34 AM
    I had calls dropping like crazy on my s9+. Almost every call short or long ended up with a call drop. Using the same sim in exactly the same location was just fine using my S7 edge. I took my device to Samsung and they tested it with their system that showed in the logs (call drops due to low network) which was not the case. So I asked them to try and make a phone call and keep it on speaker phone which they did, and 3 out of 3 calls they made were dropped. I'm getting a brand new replacement device tomorrow. Hope it works flawlessly after this disappointment. Otherwise I'm going to demand my money and skip the S9+ altogether. Maybe a better flagship comes out soon.
    Have you tried a new SIM and making sure your IMEI is up to date on your account. Even though it should work sometimes you need to make sure your IMEI is updated just so your service can be provisioned properly for that device.
    03-23-2018 09:48 AM
    945 or 9810 version? Seems seeing this with the 9810, but not the 945 version. Also having fingerprint sensor issues, based on your other posts?
    03-23-2018 03:45 PM
57 123