S9+ poor phone reception - worse than S7

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Years ago I switched to T-Mobile and brought an unlocked Xperia Z3 with me. I eventually upgraded to a T-Mobile Z3 for the band 12 connectivity. What I found it that the T-Mobile version would show more bars (4 of 5 I believe) than the unlocked version(1 or 2 of 5). But when I compared the signals using LTE discover, it had identical signal strength. Had a similar issue comparing a Z5C to a GS7. Pretty shady...

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My S9 so far seems to get slightly better reception than my S7 did at home (where my signal typically sucks no matter what). It's why I have to use wi-fi calling with AT&T where I live. I've got the AT&T variant, so its a snapdragon.

The best phone I ever used was the first gen Moto X (while moto was owned by Google) -- zero dropped calls with that phone while in my black hole of a house - no phone I've owned since has even come close. Shame.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My S9 so far seems to get slightly better reception than my S7 did at home (where my signal typically sucks no matter what). It's why I have to use wi-fi calling with AT&T where I live. I've got the AT&T variant, so its a snapdragon.

The best phone I ever used was the first gen Moto X (while moto was owned by Google) -- zero dropped calls with that phone while in my black hole of a house - no phone I've owned since has even come close. Shame.

Yeah same for me, where i sit everyday at work, my S8 Plus has only 2 bars, with the S9 Plus it is 4 to 5 bars.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
The S9 plus has the best reception of any phone I have had of late. Very pleased with it nice to actually be able to make calls in my house without being on wifi.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Agree reception has been awesome for me at home/work/in-between. And also damn I had not seen LTE speeds like this on my previous phones including iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL. Think was getting around 160 Mbps but this one smokes it (354 Mbps). Got to retest on my other phones if it's due to network improvements or due to additional radios in S9+.

Unlocked model on T-MOBILE
551f6be6ddd577359fd341b568d15e0a.jpg

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the Note 8 and S9Plus side by side and they are within 2 to 3 db of each other in terms of signal using the LTE Discovery app. Note 8 usually on top, which was very similar to what I saw when I had the S8Plus.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Helpful for folks to please point out what model, since radio differences between the 845 and 8910. If AT&T is mentioned, or other carriers, we can figure out. Not so without specifics.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've had my S9+ a few days now and the phone reception is noticeably worse than my previous S7.

I took my SIM from my S7 and put it into the S9+

Immediately the very first call I took the call dropped after a few minutes. This has continued ever since.

I have weak phone reception where I am but my S7 managed ok 90% of the time on 2 bars. The S9 shows less than this. The only way I can have any phone call of more than a couple of minutes is to change to 3G and even then it sometimes drops.

For a new phone this is very disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions?

I'm considering sending it back as faulty.

Thanks

Try hitting carrier configuration twice and u can update carrier settings

Attachments

• 424.jpg
    424.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 124

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the Note 8 and S9Plus side by side and they are within 2 to 3 db of each other in terms of signal using the LTE Discovery app. Note 8 usually on top, which was very similar to what I saw when I had the S8Plus.

Seen feedback in Europe where some folks are noticing weaker signal with the 9810 version, but most folks with the 845 version that I’ve seen feedback state it is significantly better than the 7 and 8 models. That’s good, since found all previous Samsung phones mediocre for signal reception. The Note 7 and 8+ are slightly weaker even than previous models, based on my experience.

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
signal strength at my house is weak due to living in a valley, my iphone 7 on average has 2 bars so i was concerned that the s9 might not get the same level.... my fears were soothed after doing some testing in various rooms and finding the s9 is getting about the same dbm levels as the iphone 7...i even streamed some amazon prime movies on cell signal and didnt get any disruptions....I also remembered when i had the s8 that bluetooth was weaker than my iphone 7, however the s9 doesnt have this issue. I can walk to other rooms and my garmin fenix 3 watch doesnt lose connection where the s8 would

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
US T-Mobile. S9+. Have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid crystal case on.

Reception for the most part is really good.

Gym sauna room though. My S8+ usually works 80% of the time (though slow to fully load sometimes). My S9+ so far 0% (tried 4 times/days now).

Tried the carrier configuration version update just now but its still the same version. Not sure it it'll do anything but we'll see tomorrow during my gym session.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
US T-Mobile. S9+. Have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid crystal case on.

Reception for the most part is really good.

Gym sauna room though. My S8+ usually works 80% of the time (though slow to fully load sometimes). My S9+ so far 0% (tried 4 times/days now).

Tried the carrier configuration version update just now but its still the same version. Not sure it it'll do anything but we'll see tomorrow during my gym session.

Maybe try putting in airplane mode for a minute to let the network refresh see if that helps when u see no connection

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My 9+ 945 on Verizon seems to have the same or slightly better reception as my 8+ did. Not significantly better, but that’s better than it being worse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair