S9+ poor phone reception - worse than S7

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
I've had my S9+ a few days now and the phone reception is noticeably worse than my previous S7.

I took my SIM from my S7 and put it into the S9+

Immediately the very first call I took the call dropped after a few minutes. This has continued ever since.

I have weak phone reception where I am but my S7 managed ok 90% of the time on 2 bars. The S9 shows less than this. The only way I can have any phone call of more than a couple of minutes is to change to 3G and even then it sometimes drops.

For a new phone this is very disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions?

I'm considering sending it back as faulty.

Thanks

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I've had my S9+ a few days now and the phone reception is noticeably worse than my previous S7.

Immediately the very first call I took the call dropped after a few minutes. This has continued ever since.

I have weak phone reception where I am but my S7 managed ok 90% of the time on 2 bars. The S9 shows less than this. The only way I can have any phone call of more than a couple of minutes is to change to 3G and even then it sometimes drops.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

What service do you use? Do you have an S9+ that's specific to the network, or an unlocked model?

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Its an unlocked phone from Samsung using the same SIM that was in my S7 on Vodafone.

Its not the SIM that's the problem - the only change is the physical phone. I can put the SIM back in my S7 and it gets better reception.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Bars don't tell much. Bars are calculated differently from phone to phone.

What is the actual -dBm signal?

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Ok so I measured the actual signal. Its very similar between both phones. See attached images.

HOWEVER the fact remains that the S9 is dropping the calls frequently making it hopeless.

Attachments

• 20180312_223439.jpg
    20180312_223439.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 20180312_223603.jpg
    20180312_223603.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 215

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I measured the actual signal. Its very similar between both phones. See attached images.

HOWEVER the fact remains that the S9 is dropping the calls frequently making it hopeless.

Ah yeah the signal is pretty much identical (-2 dBm isn't much).

For the dropping calls I am not sure. I would try another SIM card (get a new one from your carrier). I know it doesn't sound like a fix but you would be surprised how many times that fixed issues for others in the past.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Call your carrier and give them new IME number so they can refresh the account. Most of the time, replacing SIM does matter.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Could folks please specify what version? 9810 or 845? Hearing opposite for the 845 version so far. The S7, Note 7, Edge, S8, 8+ and Note 8 835 versions have mediocre signal reception. My 8+ is exhibit A of said mediocre signal reception.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Could folks please specify what version? 9810 or 845? Hearing opposite for the 845 version so far. The S7, Note 7, Edge, S8, 8+ and Note 8 835 versions have mediocre signal reception. My 8+ is exhibit A of said mediocre signal reception.

I'm in the US on T-Mobile so I've always had the snapdragon processors. Haven't really noticed any loss of signal unless I'm out in east bumble**** where my T-Mobile reception is lacking

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the US on T-Mobile so I've always had the snapdragon processors. Haven't really noticed any loss of signal unless I'm out in east bumble**** where my T-Mobile reception is lacking

Feedback so far is the 845 S9 has better reception than the S7 and S8 did.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
yep. I can actually take calls in my house now.
Sounds promising. If I get mine tomorrow I'll report back. I have to use Wi-Fi calling in my house because in my living room I cannot get a good signal in my living room on my note 8. I'll test this out when I get a chance.