S9+ poor phone reception - worse than S7

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Ok hello again everyone.

I posted the original item about dropping calls on the S9+ and after just over 2 weeks of use and fault finding with Samsung the result is that my phone IS BEING RETURNED AS FAULTY.

Just to be clear - this is nothing to do with poor signal strength or whether this S9 gets weaker/stronger signal than other phones - the signal strength shows the same db and % signal strength as my S7 EDGE (see first page in this thread).

The issue is that the S9+ CONSISTENTLY DROPS CALLS, every few minutes, it did it 3 times during a 20 min call to Samsung themselves. It is very repeatable - I just need to call my voicemail and wait a few mins and the call is dropped. This is the issue and it makes the phone pretty much unusable unless you don't make phone calls very much that is or enjoy re-dialling every few mins. It seems to be mainly when the signal is less than full strength although not always.

The phone came direct from Samsung and is unlocked.
SM-G965F (S9+ HYBRID SIM 128GB)
Android 8.0.0
Security patch level 1st March 2018
Network is Vodafone UK

This is what I tried...
- Making outgoing calls vs receiving incoming calls
- Changing settings from 4G+ to 3G/2G autoswitch
- Changing settings from 4G+ to 2G
- New replacement SIM card
- Factory reset the S9+ phone and installed with standard google / samsung apps
- Factory reset the S9+ phone and installed with minimum possible apps - deselected every feature possible, no WiFi

All of the above made absolutely NO difference at all.

Also
- Calls from different locations up to 60 miles away - so not the cell tower
- Static and while moving in a car - the transitions between cell towers were very noticeable - the displayed signal went to zero, the call audio dropped and then a few seconds later (3-5 maybe) the signal came back and the call resumed

Put my SIM in my S7 and it's totally fine again - people commented immediately on how much clearer the call was and the call did not suffer from the voices fading out and dropping. I also don't get poor cell tower transitions - it is seamless again as you would expect.

Conclusion - this S9+ phone has a fundamental technical issue. When I get the replacement handset I will find out if it's just the one I had or if there's a general design flaw with the S9+.

Overall pretty terrible for a "flagship" handset, incredibly frustrating and simply unusable for making calls. Unless my replacement resolves this it will also be going back to Samsung like the first one and I will not be using an S9 any more.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Ok hello again everyone.

I posted the original item about dropping calls on the S9+ and after just over 2 weeks of use and fault finding with Samsung the result is that my phone IS BEING RETURNED AS FAULTY.

Just to be clear - this is nothing to do with poor signal strength or whether this S9 gets weaker/stronger signal than other phones - the signal strength shows the same db and % signal strength as my S7 EDGE (see first page in this thread).

The issue is that the S9+ CONSISTENTLY DROPS CALLS, every few minutes, it did it 3 times during a 20 min call to Samsung themselves. It is very repeatable - I just need to call my voicemail and wait a few mins and the call is dropped. This is the issue and it makes the phone pretty much unusable unless you don't make phone calls very much that is or enjoy re-dialling every few mins. It seems to be mainly when the signal is less than full strength although not always.

Android 8.0.0
Network is Vodafone UK

This is what I tried...
- Factory reset the S9+ phone and installed with minimum possible apps - deselected every feature possible, no WiFi

Also
- Static and while moving in a car - the transitions between cell towers were very noticeable - the displayed signal went to zero, the call audio dropped and then a few seconds later (3-5 maybe) the signal came back and the call resumed

Put my SIM in my S7 and it's totally fine again - people commented immediately on how much clearer the call was and the call did not suffer from the voices fading out and dropping. I also don't get poor cell tower transitions - it is seamless again as you would expect.

Conclusion - this S9+ phone has a fundamental technical issue. When I get the replacement handset I will find out if it's just the one I had or if there's a general design flaw with the S9+.

Overall pretty terrible for a "flagship" handset, incredibly frustrating and simply unusable for making calls. Unless my replacement resolves this it will also be going back to Samsung like the first one and I will not be using an S9 any more.
Best of luck. Hopefully your new phone solves the issue for you. So far I have not had this problem.

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok hello again everyone.

Android 8.0.0
Network is Vodafone UK

This is what I tried...

Also

Sorry to hear about your issue. Hopefully the replacement fixes it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
After using the Verizon 9+ more, the actual reception is noticeably better than the 8+, S8, S7 and Note 7 were. Seems the same as my Moto X Pure was, which is a good thing.

Sundaytwist

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
Ok hello again everyone.

Android 8.0.0
Network is Vodafone UK

This is what I tried...

Also

I am having the exact same issue with mine. I have a Exynos S9+ which I got from Vodafone in Ireland, it looks like it is faulty. I swapped sim cards, using the same sim card in my old S6 which is working perfectly. I need to replace it with a new model on Saturday. I'm doubtful that this will fix my issue. Did yours get replaced, any better?

Attalla

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I had calls dropping like crazy on my s9+. Almost every call short or long ended up with a call drop. Using the same sim in exactly the same location was just fine using my S7 edge. I took my device to Samsung and they tested it with their system that showed in the logs (call drops due to low network) which was not the case. So I asked them to try and make a phone call and keep it on speaker phone which they did, and 3 out of 3 calls they made were dropped. I'm getting a brand new replacement device tomorrow. Hope it works flawlessly after this disappointment. Otherwise I'm going to demand my money and skip the S9+ altogether. Maybe a better flagship comes out soon.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I had calls dropping like crazy on my s9+. Almost every call short or long ended up with a call drop. Using the same sim in exactly the same location was just fine using my S7 edge. I took my device to Samsung and they tested it with their system that showed in the logs (call drops due to low network) which was not the case. So I asked them to try and make a phone call and keep it on speaker phone which they did, and 3 out of 3 calls they made were dropped. I'm getting a brand new replacement device tomorrow. Hope it works flawlessly after this disappointment. Otherwise I'm going to demand my money and skip the S9+ altogether. Maybe a better flagship comes out soon.
Have you tried a new SIM and making sure your IMEI is up to date on your account. Even though it should work sometimes you need to make sure your IMEI is updated just so your service can be provisioned properly for that device.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
945 or 9810 version? Seems seeing this with the 9810, but not the 945 version. Also having fingerprint sensor issues, based on your other posts?

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I waited awhile to reply to this question/comment to use my phone for a few weeks and see how was the reception is. I have the S9 (845 with At&t)

It is much better than my S7 was... I had 1 bar sometimes 2 & had to use WiFi calling at home. Now I consistently have 3 bars with my S9 & it seems I always have 4-5 bars when out n' about! I'm quite pleased.
It's far superior to my HTC M8 as well...
I haven't dropped a call yet & call quality is great, best reception of any phone I've owned this far.
I used the new SIM this time instead of swapping btw but don't believe that would make a huge difference.

Hope your replacement S9+ corrects your issue Tony, best of luck...

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
I am having the exact same issue with mine. I have a Exynos S9+ which I got from Vodafone in Ireland, it looks like it is faulty. I swapped sim cards, using the same sim card in my old S6 which is working perfectly. I need to replace it with a new model on Saturday. I'm doubtful that this will fix my issue. Did yours get replaced, any better?

Hi

Samsung have issued me a refund not a replacement phone, they also gave me credit for the reduction in trade in ££ between what they gave pre-launch and now as it's gone down.

I actually have decided NOT to get an S9 until this call dropping issue is resolved.

It's a serious liability having a phone where your calls are dropped after a few mins, I just can't put up with a phone that can't make reliable phone calls - it's a fundamental and major design fault, especially when it costs £869! If your new TV rebooted every 5 mins I think you'd be taking it back to the store also.

Good luck everyone, let me know when this issue is resolved - then I may try an S9 again but not until.

Cheers

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I waited awhile to reply to this question/comment to use my phone for a few weeks and see how was the reception is. I have the S9 (845 with At&t)

It is much better than my S7 was... I had 1 bar sometimes 2 & had to use WiFi calling at home. Now I consistently have 3 bars with my S9 & it seems I always have 4-5 bars when out n' about! I'm quite pleased.
It's far superior to my HTC M8 as well...
I haven't dropped a call yet & call quality is great, best reception of any phone I've owned this far.
I used the new SIM this time instead of swapping btw but don't believe that would make a huge difference.

Hope your replacement S9+ corrects your issue Tony, best of luck...
Agreed. Verizon 945 9+ is better than the Note 7 and 8+ were.

Saquara

May 27, 2018
Visit site
I've just had my s9+ for 2 days, and just got a new sim for it from an Optus shop. Been on 1 bar of reception the whole day- not to mention I've lost reception three times in a shopping center while making calls. I am lucky to hover on 1 bar.

Also noticed microphone issues- people have difficulty hearing me while they're on loud speaker! This happens randomly, so hard to monitor.

I have also just experienced literal 'white noise' sound while on the phone, where the other person hears nothing, and all I hear is a loud static buzz...

This is unacceptable, can't Express how pissed off I am. My previous phone (Note 5) was infinitely better and I am forced to go back on it while paying off the S9+.

-5 stars.

dave3389

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S9+ a few days now and the phone reception is noticeably worse than my previous S7.

I took my SIM from my S7 and put it into the S9+

Immediately the very first call I took the call dropped after a few minutes. This has continued ever since.

I have weak phone reception where I am but my S7 managed ok 90% of the time on 2 bars. The S9 shows less than this. The only way I can have any phone call of more than a couple of minutes is to change to 3G and even then it sometimes drops.

For a new phone this is very disappointing.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions?

I'm considering sending it back as faulty.

Thanks

the reception on mine isn't bad, but it was dropping calls all the time, i ended up sending it back and getting a replacement

Bambi

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Heres the FIX! I had this same problem with my new S9 and oddly enough, my husband and daughter have S7 and theirs began working same way almost at same time! Tried everything that's been listed and finally went into US Cellular. The gal knew immediately about this issue and the fix for it. Apparently the latest update from Samsung made a change and automatically enabled ENHANCED CALLING. We are not ready for this yet in many areas of the US. So, go to Settings, Connections, Mobile networks and UNCHECK Enhanced Calling. This feature is not ready to be used until more towers are erected nationwide. Solved problem IMMEDIATELY for all 3 phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo