03-18-2018 07:08 PM
69 123
tools
    It is my own fault really as I am not sure what I expected from Samsung but I am underwhelmed and right now I am using my iPhone again while I consider whether to return the S9+. I had an S8+ before but came to the S9+ via the V30 and P2XL.

The 2XL was almost ‘The one’ but I just could not get past the lack of wireless charging or SD card expansion. The V30 was really nice but next to the 2XL did feel slightly sluggish (the size was terrific though)

Having used the 9+ for a few days I am a little disappointed, the Samsung Bloat is there in all it’s glory and even after spending time adjusting the oreo allow in background settings for all non-essential apps and also disabling many that I do not need the battery life is still disappointing especially when on standby.

Overall I guess I am questioning the value and all the current breed of droids have their compromises and I just need to pick the one I prefer. I am leaning towards returning it and picking up either the 2XL or V30 again, or maybe I need to look further afield to other brands? One thing I do know as I post this on my iPhone is that I am now every much an android person!
    RevePro likes this.
    03-13-2018 05:29 AM
    As we know, none of these phones are perfect. If you have an Android phone from within the last year the s9 duo may not feel like much of an upgrade. That said, it's still a heckova phone. I would like to see better battery life on my Note 8 but compromises have to be made and battery life is still pretty decent. These contemporary Samsung handsets are very nice indeed and I hope everyone enjoys their S9/S9+.
    03-13-2018 07:30 AM
    I still do not get the lag impressions. Have had the S8+ since launch and still fast, with several hundred apps installed. Headphone jack, expandable storage, good camera and now better sounding speakers than the competition (S9+), not getting the gap bridged by being slightly minutely faster in some instances a rational bridge. To each their own though
    sergysn, ipeaches, cwbcpa and 2 others like this.
    03-13-2018 08:52 AM
    There has and will be release day OTA software updates to address items that could not be loaded before shipping.

Mav.
    westiewanderer and ipeaches like this.
    03-13-2018 08:56 AM
    You guys load these things up with rogue apps, tons of social media, give it permissions to follow you and complain about battery life. I have an s9plus with the 845 on AT&T and yesterday was my first day with the phone and I had a little better battery life than my Note 8 already. Once my battery gets a few charges I'll be around 6 hours of SOT and probably a day and a half because I don't spend all day staring at my phone. There is zero lag on mine and it's as fast as my pixel 2XL. I also have the brightness between 60-70%. It's a beautiful device just set it up right, analyze your app usage and you won't have any issues.
    03-13-2018 09:00 AM
    This is just it, I have loaded nothing different to any other android phone I have used recently, in-fact as I started from scratch I probably installed fewer apps. O

Right off the bat I am dropping circa 10% overnight when it is in flight mode and AOD off, my heart sank when that happened. When you look at the sheer number of apps installed on there compared to other manufacturers it should not be a surprise. It all on me as I should have known but I guess I was naively hoping otherwise.

Don’t get me wrong I am not slating the phone, it is very nice indeed and am flip-flopping back and forth today as to whether to return it while I can and pick up the 2XL or just give it a chance and keep it, gut feeling though is I’d regret keeping it and end up selling for a loss further down the line.
    03-13-2018 09:30 AM
    Another thing that has been apparent is that the Oreo option to stop apps running in the background does not seem to work, at least not on mine. I initially had Facebook installed (have now removed it) and had the app, services and app manager all set to not run in the background. When I checked however there they were merrily running away.

I think my overnight drain may be down to some sensor gremlins but I could be wrong, digging around in GSAM and there was over 5 hours of activity for Samsung motion sensor spread mostly across google play services and android system but also some others.

Genuinely still on the fence.
    03-13-2018 10:06 AM
    You guys load these things up with rogue apps, tons of social media, give it permissions to follow you and complain about battery life. I have an s9plus with the 845 on AT&T and yesterday was my first day with the phone and I had a little better battery life than my Note 8 already. Once my battery gets a few charges I'll be around 6 hours of SOT and probably a day and a half because I don't spend all day staring at my phone. There is zero lag on mine and it's as fast as my pixel 2XL. I also have the brightness between 60-70%. It's a beautiful device just set it up right, analyze your app usage and you won't have any issues.
    I don't complain about battery life. I give it permission so I know where my 16yo daughter is and vise versa. And as far as staring at my phone all day, that's why I have a smart phone. Whether I'm on Facebook, Instagram, doing online banking and bill pay,listening to music,taking pictures and /or posting them or whatever this is why I have one. I want to be able to use my phone. I don't need to preserve it.
    jma78b, neo158, Mike328 and 1 others like this.
    03-13-2018 10:22 AM
    Another thing that has been apparent is that the Oreo option to stop apps running in the background does not seem to work, at least not on mine. I initially had Facebook installed (have now removed it) and had the app, services and app manager all set to not run in the background. When I checked however there they were merrily running away.

I think my overnight drain may be down to some sensor gremlins but I could be wrong, digging around in GSAM and there was over 5 hours of activity for Samsung motion sensor spread mostly across google play services and android system but also some others.

Genuinely still on the fence.
    BK Disabler. You can disable anything and I mean ANYTHING you want on the phone
    03-13-2018 10:23 AM
    Headphone jack, expandable storage, good camera and now better sounding speakers than the competition (S9+),
    I don't get this part on what it has to do with lag impressions lol.

To each their own though .
    Gray Area likes this.
    03-13-2018 10:27 AM
    This is just it, I have loaded nothing different to any other android phone I have used recently, in-fact as I started from scratch I probably installed fewer apps. O

Right off the bat I am dropping circa 10% overnight when it is in flight mode and AOD off, my heart sank when that happened. When you look at the sheer number of apps installed on there compared to other manufacturers it should not be a surprise. It all on me as I should have known but I guess I was naively hoping otherwise.

Don’t get me wrong I am not slating the phone, it is very nice indeed and am flip-flopping back and forth today as to whether to return it while I can and pick up the 2XL or just give it a chance and keep it, gut feeling though is I’d regret keeping it and end up selling for a loss further down the line.
    Not that you SHOULD HAVE TO but do you disable/uninstall unwanted apps? Do you have location services set to High Accuracy instead of Battery Saver? Choose Battery Saver unless you're actively using mapping. Are Bluetooth and NFC enabled even when not in use? While I like Android, I know that I have to tune these things if I want the best experience. That's the difference, for me, between Android and iOS but I don't mind too much.
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    03-13-2018 10:57 AM
    Thanks all

Already have bk disabler and it made no difference. Maybe I have not disabled enough stuff yet?

Was actually considering uninstalling it and seeing it could be contributing somehow.
    03-13-2018 11:00 AM
    Not that you SHOULD HAVE TO but do you disable/uninstall unwanted apps? Do you have location services set to High Accuracy instead of Battery Saver? Choose Battery Saver unless you're actively using mapping. Are Bluetooth and NFC enabled even when not in use? While I like Android, I know that I have to tune these things if I want the best experience. That's the difference, for me, between Android and iOS but I don't mind too much.
    I feel I have to fine-tune iOS when I use it as well. The default settings for most things are annoying so have to fine-tune / set it up just like I would an Android phone. Android just has way more freedom when it comes to apps doing things so therefore may have a few more toggles due to extra permissions versus iOS where you would simply say "Oh it can only do X but not Y" so no real options except for X.

Unwanted / carrier bloat apps are always the worst on Android .. but if you are getting a Samsung it is to be expected.
    03-13-2018 11:01 AM
    Thanks all

Already have bk disabler and it made no difference. Maybe I have not disabled enough stuff yet?

Was actually considering uninstalling it and seeing it could be contributing somehow.
    It could be -- some people get "disable crazy" from what I have seen over the years. They want to disable every little thing they don't use but don't realize they are disabling some stuff that is actually hurting them.

I personally just used the default menu when I had Samsung. I disabled all the carrier bloat and a few other things and that was it. I didn't ever dive into the app to do it since disabling those other 10 things to eek out an extra 1 hour of battery life aren't worth it to me. I don't work in the forest so charging isn't a huge deal for me at work, in the truck, or at home.

Just my $0.02 .
    03-13-2018 11:02 AM
    You can view running packages and services in bk

And it is an eye opener to see how much memory things use, edge display for example seems to use a lot.
    03-13-2018 11:05 AM
    You can view running packages and services in bk

And it is an eye opener to see how much memory things use, edge display for example seems to use a lot.
    Using memory isn't bad though. Android tries to fill up RAM. Everyone compares RAM usage being high as bad but that is really a Windows thing. A Windows PC should only have so much used depending on what is open whereas Android is different. It tries to fill up RAM and it will free up RAM when it needs it for other tasks.

Trying to manage and clear it actually does the exact opposite of what the OS is trying to do. I have never used bk disabler, only disabled a few "bloat" apps from the normal menu, and my previous Samsung phones never had horrid battery. Sure some went all out and had a screenshot list and maybe got an extra hour versus me but not worth for me. The maybe 1 hour I get more of life along with possibly disabling something incorrectly to cause even worse drain (that you then have to troubleshoot) is just way too much headache for me.

I look at it like if I have to go through ALL that just to get "good" battery life then Samsung really dropped the ball super hard on their version of Android. From my past usage without going disable-crazy... I always had good life. Maybe not 5 days 36 hours SOT like some go for (obviously exaggerated) but I could last through an entire day and had no issues. Heavier days I charged at work, truck, home etc. The 20-30 min drive I would do at the end of the day would warrant me a good hunk of battery % from the quick charge so I truly never worried.
    Itsa_Me_Mario and VW Maverick like this.
    03-13-2018 11:32 AM
    That’s honestly weird.

On my recent holiday, I used my Note8 a crap ton and it didn’t die until late at night.

Did Sammy somehow mess up with standby battery on the S9?
    03-13-2018 11:42 AM
    Using memory isn't bad though. Android tries to fill up RAM. Everyone compares RAM usage being high as bad but that is really a Windows thing. A Windows PC should only have so much used depending on what is open whereas Android is different. It tries to fill up RAM and it will free up RAM when it needs it for other tasks.

Trying to manage and clear it actually does the exact opposite of what the OS is trying to do. I have never used bk disabler, only disabled a few "bloat" apps from the normal menu, and my previous Samsung phones never had horrid battery. Sure some went all out and had a screenshot list and maybe got an extra hour versus me but not worth for me. The maybe 1 hour I get more of life along with possibly disabling something incorrectly to cause even worse drain (that you then have to troubleshoot) is just way too much headache for me.

I look at it like if I have to go through ALL that just to get "good" battery life then Samsung really dropped the ball super hard on their version of Android. From my past usage without going disable-crazy... I always had good life. Maybe not 5 days 36 hours SOT like some go for (obviously exaggerated) but I could last through an entire day and had no issues. Heavier days I charged at work, truck, home etc. The 20-30 min drive I would do at the end of the day would warrant me a good hunk of battery % from the quick charge so I truly never worried.
    Thank you, this needs to be said about 1000 times.
    03-13-2018 11:43 AM
    But if it's running it also using power too right? Not because it's using memory but just because it is running?
    03-13-2018 12:00 PM
    But if it's running it also using power too right? Not because it's using memory but just because it is running?
    By clearing the RAM the OS tries to re-load it back up. You then clear it again and it re-loads it back up. You're wasting more power by fighting the OS since it keeps using the processor to get stuff loaded back into RAM.

Everything uses power. Things sitting in power isn't necessarily a bad thing. The only time it would be bad would be a rogue app doing something malicious, bugging out, or something of that nature. Most apps will go dormant and just sit there until called.
    03-13-2018 12:10 PM
    protip: charge your phone at night whilst sleeping instead of obsessing over standby battery drain. problem solved. you're welcome.
    03-13-2018 12:15 PM
    protip: charge your phone at night whilst sleeping instead of obsessing over standby battery drain. problem solved. you're welcome.
    I just charge phones before bed and I am usually good in the morning.
    03-13-2018 01:03 PM
    Not to hijack and I don't want to obsess about it but there's a notable difference in battery life between my Samsung Notes and iPhone Xes. With the Notes not seeming to last as long. Makes sense, they're completely different devices. I do find myself wondering what reasonable things I can do on the Notes to prolong battery life and thus reduce charge cycles, and thus prolong the overall life of the battery. Perhaps that's just crazy and it may be.
    03-13-2018 01:52 PM
    Not to hijack and I don't want to obsess about it but there's a notable difference in battery life between my Samsung Notes and iPhone Xes. With the Notes not seeming to last as long. Makes sense, they're completely different devices. I do find myself wondering what reasonable things I can do on the Notes to prolong battery life and thus reduce charge cycles, and thus prolong the overall life of the battery. Perhaps that's just crazy and it may be.
    Yeah -- iPhones don't allow things to run at all in the background except for very specific things (like music, etc.) -- Android does. Hence why there are more options when setting up various functions on Android. iPhone is super restrictive on background processes. It is a double edge sword .. better battery life but less functionality depending on what you are trying to do.
    03-13-2018 03:20 PM
    The 2XL was almost ‘The one’ but I just could not get past the lack of wireless charging or SD card expansion. The V30 was really nice but next to the 2XL did feel slightly sluggish (the size was terrific though)
    Just curious as to why SD expansion was important on the Pixel 2 XL? I myself would rather have pure storage as MicroSD has always been a little hit and miss for me. I simply don't trust it for photo/video storage.
    03-13-2018 03:51 PM
69 123