Hey guys!

I have an S8 (Unlocked from best buy... first had T-Mobile in it and now Verizon)

I always get a weird limit on the stock SMS app... it lets me send actual video with sound or pictures but not Gif's... it always says 1200kb limit

So I usually have to switch to Textra just to send out the gif and then return to the stock sms app which is stupid but it works

Does anyone know if the S9 still has this limitation? I know it might me carrier specific sometimes but my phone is unlocked so that doesn't really make sense to me

Thanks
    03-13-2018 01:57 PM
    Hey guys!

I have an S8 (Unlocked from best buy... first had T-Mobile in it and now Verizon)

I always get a weird limit on the stock SMS app... it lets me send actual video with sound or pictures but not Gif's... it always says 1200kb limit

So I usually have to switch to Textra just to send out the gif and then return to the stock sms app which is stupid but it works

Does anyone know if the S9 still has this limitation? I know it might me carrier specific sometimes but my phone is unlocked so that doesn't really make sense to me

Thanks
    GIFs work now with the stock message app. Even the stock keyboard has them now.
    03-13-2018 03:19 PM
    It's not a phone limit, it's a carrier limit. The Android Messages app sends them differently, so it may get around T-Mobile's limit. (If they're stored on the carrier's server [which MMS is], the carrier gets to set the limit. With RCS [the next messaging protocol, which Android Messages uses], it's direct sender-to-receiver.)
    03-13-2018 05:29 PM
    It's not a phone limit, it's a carrier limit. The Android Messages app sends them differently, so it may get around T-Mobile's limit. (If they're stored on the carrier's server [which MMS is], the carrier gets to set the limit. With RCS [the next messaging protocol, which Android Messages uses], it's direct sender-to-receiver.)
    I don't use Android messages tho, I'm guessing it's the same with textra?
    03-13-2018 07:41 PM
    Hey guys!

Thanks
    MMS will always have a low limit.

RCS will need to be in place (for all parties).

Or just use Allo.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-14-2018 12:30 AM