09-07-2018 02:13 PM
107 ... 345
tools
    There are several great SMS apps that will give us back this capability. HOWEVER, if you have the Gear S3 you must use the default Samsung messaging app from which they have removed this capability.

I use Twitter for Samsung tech support and it was confirmed to me this morning that you can do custom per-user ringtones but not sms notifications. I asked why that capability was removed and the only answer was "we'll pass your concern on for future updates."

If you have a Twitter account, I recommend tweeting @SamsungSupport and voicing your concerns.
    Thanks, I will reach out via Twitter. I only had my Note 8 a few days with Oreo before I knew I was getting the S9 plus for sure. I went and got textra back used it before set it all up than to find outdidn't work with my Gear S3 so now I am just using the standard on my S9 Plus and hoping they have an update and fix this. I don't feel like setting up textra all over again cause I had just did right before I ended up wqith the 9.
    04-15-2018 07:03 PM
    Totally agree, it's the reason I found the issue about 90 seconds after I booted up my S9+ for the first time.
    04-24-2018 08:54 AM
    If you use Google Message, you can go into the individual text chains and add a special text tone. That is the best I have found for now.
    What happens if you delete a text thread with a customized text tone for that contact? Does the customized tone remain for that contact or does it revert back to the overall default tone?
    06-13-2018 02:16 PM
    I found a fix for this and it does not require a new app. So into messaging open up a text that you want to add individual ringtone on. Click on the three dots at the very top that's says notifications. Tap on notifications, and go down to sound and tap on sound. Next screen you'll see two boxes click on custom. The radio button will fill on custom then click on the settings icon to the right. Now you can go in and set up the individual ringtone for that person. This only works if youhadve an active chat with somebody in messaging though. I found this a few days ago and it works great.
    09-05-2018 07:14 PM
    I found a fix for this and it does not require a new app. So into messaging open up a text that you want to add individual ringtone on. Click on the three dots at the very top that's says notifications. Tap on notifications, and go down to sound and tap on sound. Next screen you'll see two boxes click on custom. The radio button will fill on custom then click on the settings icon to the right. Now you can go in and set up the individual ringtone for that person. This only works if youhadve an active chat with somebody in messaging though. I found this a few days ago and it works great.
    09-05-2018 07:26 PM
    I just use textra but you can use the message + app. Can set em that way. Most phones don't come with the inborn ability. Just find an app you like for texting and set it in there
    09-05-2018 08:37 PM
    Yes, only in an active chat. Once you delete the entire chat, it defaults back to the defaulted sound. I typically erase all chats after a while.
    09-07-2018 02:13 PM
107 ... 345