Verizon S9+ Unable to set individual SMS notification tones

Vinny Fuori

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
So received my S9+ yesterday and was very impressed with the switch from my S8. All of my settings apps, etc seemed to seemlessly come over. Everything was great until I noticed my incoming texts lost their custom tones. Like many - I dont want to look with every incoming text or notification who is texting me - so I prefer individual tones for specific contacts. I tried in vain for hours to find the settings - to no avail. I called samsung - this feature is not available on the new S9 and S9+?!?! Seriously - it's been on every galaxy phone since my S3?! I rely on this ... anyone find a way to get it back?

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So received my S9+ yesterday and was very impressed with the switch from my S8. All of my settings apps, etc seemed to seemlessly come over. Everything was great until I noticed my incoming texts lost their custom tones. Like many - I dont want to look with every incoming text or notification who is texting me - so I prefer individual tones for specific contacts. I tried in vain for hours to find the settings - to no avail. I called samsung - this feature is not available on the new S9 and S9+?!?! Seriously - it's been on every galaxy phone since my S3?! I rely on this ... anyone find a way to get it back?
I use zedge for 3rd party notifications. I'm also switching from my 8+ to 9+ when it arrives. I screen shot all my notifications I use from zedge and re download them to the 9+ and set them to specific contacts.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

I think you have to go into contacts click on the specific contact and then have to click the top right to change things,scroll down and it should have the option for ringtone and also for notification sound and you can change it

bbriery

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The Sprint variant is showing the same problem - no longer is "Message Tone" an option under "Edit Contact."

This seems like an inadvertent mistake on the part of Samsung and/or Google - and I hope they fix it soon in an update! Being able to assign custom notification tones to individual contacts has been a very useful feature on previous Galaxy S phones. BRING IT BACK! I'm sort of regretting upgrading to the S9+ and thinking about going back to the S8+...

bbriery

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The Sprint variant is showing the same problem - no longer is "Message Tone" an option under "Edit Contact."

This seems like an inadvertent mistake on the part of Samsung and/or Google - and I hope they fix it soon in an update! Being able to assign custom notification tones to individual contacts has been a very useful feature on previous Galaxy S phones. BRING IT BACK! I'm sort of regretting upgrading to the S9+ and thinking about going back to the S8+...

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The Solution has been posted up above by ScottsoNJ.

No, Sorry that's not it.

I have T-Mobile also, notifications are no longer listed (that I could find) when you edit the contact. It does list Ringtone & Vibration Pattern which can be edited.

I read in the S8 forums that they thought the feature was deleted in Oreo.

Mark8768

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I think you have to go into contacts click on the specific contact and then have to click the top right to change things,scroll down and it should have the option for ringtone and also for notification sound and you can change it

No option for notification tone on mine. Only ringtone

z28power

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately the option is completely missing now, as mentioned already.

I discovered this yesterday as well, and may go back to my s8 and return this, as I rely on the feature in a big way to know who is texting me while working without pulling out my phone 100x. I read any s8 phones that have received oreo are now missing the feature as well though!!

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the option is completely missing now, as mentioned already.

I discovered this yesterday as well, and may go back to my s8 and return this, as I rely on the feature in a big way to know who is texting me while working without pulling out my phone 100x. I read any s8 phones that have received oreo are now missing the feature as well though!!
Yeah, you're gonna be missing it if you update. I guess thus is what happens when journalists constantly complain about Samsung phones having too many features. They start removing stuff that people actually use lol.

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No, Sorry that's not it.

I have T-Mobile also, notifications are no longer listed (that I could find) when you edit the contact. It does list Ringtone & Vibration Pattern which can be edited.

Yeah, my fault. Mistook Ringtone for text notifications. Can't find it anywhere on my S9. That's weird.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
No, Sorry that's not it.

You are right that feature is now missing. If you use Textra messaging you can set a custom ringtone and custom notification sound for each contact. Thats the only way around this I think

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams