09-07-2018 02:13 PM
107 123 ...
tools
    So received my S9+ yesterday and was very impressed with the switch from my S8. All of my settings apps, etc seemed to seemlessly come over. Everything was great until I noticed my incoming texts lost their custom tones. Like many - I dont want to look with every incoming text or notification who is texting me - so I prefer individual tones for specific contacts. I tried in vain for hours to find the settings - to no avail. I called samsung - this feature is not available on the new S9 and S9+?!?! Seriously - it's been on every galaxy phone since my S3?! I rely on this ... anyone find a way to get it back?
    03-13-2018 02:05 PM
    So received my S9+ yesterday and was very impressed with the switch from my S8. All of my settings apps, etc seemed to seemlessly come over. Everything was great until I noticed my incoming texts lost their custom tones. Like many - I dont want to look with every incoming text or notification who is texting me - so I prefer individual tones for specific contacts. I tried in vain for hours to find the settings - to no avail. I called samsung - this feature is not available on the new S9 and S9+?!?! Seriously - it's been on every galaxy phone since my S3?! I rely on this ... anyone find a way to get it back?
    I use zedge for 3rd party notifications. I'm also switching from my 8+ to 9+ when it arrives. I screen shot all my notifications I use from zedge and re download them to the 9+ and set them to specific contacts.
    03-13-2018 02:14 PM
    So received my S9+ yesterday
    How so? It’s not even released, yet.
    03-13-2018 03:42 PM
    I think you have to go into contacts click on the specific contact and then have to click the top right to change things,scroll down and it should have the option for ringtone and also for notification sound and you can change it
    fritzo81 likes this.
    03-13-2018 04:42 PM
    what do you mean?
    03-13-2018 04:43 PM
    Verizon shipped S9s early for people on the Verizon Up rewards program. I got my S9 Monday afternoon. I preordered it on March 5th.
    03-13-2018 05:54 PM
    Verizon shipped S9s early for people on the Verizon Up rewards program. I got my S9 Monday afternoon. I preordered it on March 5th.
    Samsung actually allows them to do that?!
    03-13-2018 05:56 PM
    Samsung actually allows them to do that?!
    I guess so. I think it happens with every phone release. But I rarely pre-order so don't quote me on that. I assumed I'd get it on the 16th, but the rep told me they ship early for reward members.
    westiewanderer likes this.
    03-13-2018 06:12 PM
    It's awesome
    03-13-2018 06:15 PM
    How is your call quality you guys? I have a plus, and it seems a little sketchy
    03-13-2018 06:16 PM
    T-Mobile shipped as well. I have mine and I'm trying to find the solution to this. I depend on this feature!!
    03-13-2018 06:43 PM
    T-Mobile shipped as well. I have mine and I'm trying to find the solution to this. I depend on this feature!!
    The Solution has been posted up above by ScottsoNJ.
    03-13-2018 07:08 PM
    The Sprint variant is showing the same problem - no longer is "Message Tone" an option under "Edit Contact."

This seems like an inadvertent mistake on the part of Samsung and/or Google - and I hope they fix it soon in an update! Being able to assign custom notification tones to individual contacts has been a very useful feature on previous Galaxy S phones. BRING IT BACK! I'm sort of regretting upgrading to the S9+ and thinking about going back to the S8+...
    TastyTwEaK likes this.
    03-14-2018 01:29 AM
    The Sprint variant is showing the same problem - no longer is "Message Tone" an option under "Edit Contact."

This seems like an inadvertent mistake on the part of Samsung and/or Google - and I hope they fix it soon in an update! Being able to assign custom notification tones to individual contacts has been a very useful feature on previous Galaxy S phones. BRING IT BACK! I'm sort of regretting upgrading to the S9+ and thinking about going back to the S8+...
    Mark8768 and bellasara25 like this.
    03-14-2018 01:30 AM
    The Solution has been posted up above by ScottsoNJ.
    No, Sorry that's not it.

I have T-Mobile also, notifications are no longer listed (that I could find) when you edit the contact. It does list Ringtone & Vibration Pattern which can be edited.

I read in the S8 forums that they thought the feature was deleted in Oreo.
    Mark8768 likes this.
    03-14-2018 01:33 AM
    I think you have to go into contacts click on the specific contact and then have to click the top right to change things,scroll down and it should have the option for ringtone and also for notification sound and you can change it
    No option for notification tone on mine. Only ringtone
    bellasara25 likes this.
    03-14-2018 04:06 PM
    Unfortunately the option is completely missing now, as mentioned already.

I discovered this yesterday as well, and may go back to my s8 and return this, as I rely on the feature in a big way to know who is texting me while working without pulling out my phone 100x. I read any s8 phones that have received oreo are now missing the feature as well though!!
    03-14-2018 04:52 PM
    Unfortunately the option is completely missing now, as mentioned already.

I discovered this yesterday as well, and may go back to my s8 and return this, as I rely on the feature in a big way to know who is texting me while working without pulling out my phone 100x. I read any s8 phones that have received oreo are now missing the feature as well though!!
    Yeah, you're gonna be missing it if you update. I guess thus is what happens when journalists constantly complain about Samsung phones having too many features. They start removing stuff that people actually use lol.
    03-14-2018 05:23 PM
    No, Sorry that's not it.

I have T-Mobile also, notifications are no longer listed (that I could find) when you edit the contact. It does list Ringtone & Vibration Pattern which can be edited.

Yeah, my fault. Mistook Ringtone for text notifications. Can't find it anywhere on my S9. That's weird.
    03-14-2018 05:36 PM
    No, Sorry that's not it.

You are right that feature is now missing. If you use Textra messaging you can set a custom ringtone and custom notification sound for each contact. Thats the only way around this I think
    BerryBubbles and missmotta like this.
    03-14-2018 06:42 PM
    You are right that feature is now missing. If you use Textra messaging you can set a custom ringtone and custom notification sound for each contact. Thats the only way around this I think
    Thank you for the information on Textra! I will give it a try. =)
    03-14-2018 07:02 PM
    Thank you for the information on Textra! I will give it a try. =)
    Actually you can set different colors for the light and also different colors for icon that shows in the notification bar too
    BerryBubbles likes this.
    03-14-2018 09:26 PM
    Actually you can set different colors for the light and also different colors for icon that shows in the notification bar too
    Oh, that's interesting. I've never used anything but the Samsung default app, so I'm looking forward to these enhanced features of Textra.

I'm trying to make sure I don't miss any client texts or, unfortunately, the out-of-state family group texts. Ugh! The family gets a little nuts when I don't respond. =)

Thanks Again
    03-15-2018 01:03 AM
    If you don't want to constantly check your phone; I know it's not a cheap or simple workaround, but I got the Gear S3 Frontier watch for this purpose. I'm a teacher so I keep my phone in my desk drawer while teaching, but if I get a text I can shoot a quick glance at my watch to see who it is and the content without reaching for the phone. You've also intrigued me, I'm going to check out Textra as well just for the theme customizations.
    ScottsoNJ and BerryBubbles like this.
    03-15-2018 04:25 AM
    If you don't want to constantly check your phone; I know it's not a cheap or simple workaround, but I got the Gear S3 Frontier watch for this purpose. I'm a teacher so I keep my phone in my desk drawer while teaching, but if I get a text I can shoot a quick glance at my watch to see who it is and the content without reaching for the phone. You've also intrigued me, I'm going to check out Textra as well just for the theme customizations.
    I know several teachers who do this, very smart! Also, Chomp SMS is a fantastic and very customizable sms app!
    03-15-2018 08:03 AM
107 123 ...