03-31-2018 11:38 PM
72 123
tools
    That's a very misguided title. The only way that could be considered to be true, by their own standards, is if zoom is the most important quality of a smartphone. On all the aspects of photography that actually matter, the P2XL beats it hands down. That's shown in DXO's own numbers. There's a good thread about it, but the S9+ is absolutely not the best camera on a smartphone - it merely has the highest combined score so far, based on the new criteria which heavily favors having multiple cameras as opposed to a single lens. So there is now less emphasis on image quality and more emphasis on the more sensational and also more trivial aspects of photography that are enhanced by having a second lens.

Everyone said DXO was full of it when they scored the P2XL above everything else... either they were or they weren't. If they were, then they're just as full of it now. The fact is, as was realized then, is that the combined score is meaningless. It's the individual scores that actually give us good information and if you look at those scores, the P2XL trounces the S9+.
    I doubt very much it trounces anything much less the S9+. The S9+ scored a 104 to the Pixel's 99 so I guess in your world 99 is better than 104.
    03-13-2018 07:14 PM
    I doubt very much it trounces anything much less the S9+. The S9+ scored a 104 to the Pixel's 99 so I guess in your world 99 is better than 104.
    No; but in my world reading is important. Have you looked at the sub scores? Do you have any idea what the sub scores mean? Do you have any idea what I wrote in the quote that you just responded to? Your response indicates that the answer to all three of those questions is no. If I'm mistaken and one of the answers is yes, then you did a terrible job of representing your argument.
    03-13-2018 07:16 PM
    I don't doubt your experience at all, just whether or not it is statistically normal. That consensus is based on early reprinting of one reviewer's review unit. I have seen the blue tint myself, just not any worse than other comparable devices.
    Agreed. FWIW, I loved mine so much other than the screen and was sad to return it. But I'm rocking a Pixel 2 instead now, and love it.

Another FWIW, Google's VP of Engineering has said the blue shift was a design decision based on hardware limitations of the screen:

"The slight blue tint is inherent in the display hardware and only visible when you hold the screen at a sharp angle. All displays are susceptible to some level of color shift (e.g. red, yellow, blue) when viewing from off angles due to the pixel cavity design."

“Similar to our choice with a cooler white point, we went with what users tend to prefer and chose a design that shifts blue.”

So I think the lottery is not whether you get blue shift, but how severe it is and whether it bothers you.
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    03-13-2018 07:18 PM
    I feel the s9+ takes sharper pictures then my pixel 2 XL I will try the iPhone X later
    03-13-2018 07:20 PM
    Agreed. FWIW, I loved mine so much other than the screen and was sad to return it. But I'm rocking a Pixel 2 instead now, and love it.

Another FWIW, Google's VP of Engineering has said the blue shift was a design decision based on hardware limitations of the screen:

"The slight blue tint is inherent in the display hardware and only visible when you hold the screen at a sharp angle. All displays are susceptible to some level of color shift (e.g. red, yellow, blue) when viewing from off angles due to the pixel cavity design."

“Similar to our choice with a cooler white point, we went with what users tend to prefer and chose a design that shifts blue.”

So I think the lottery is not whether you get blue shift, but how severe it is and whether it bothers you.
    I also think that all amoled have blue (or other) shift, but the severity varies - and THAT is the QC problem.
    03-13-2018 07:22 PM
    like to say the pixel 2 xl is very very good phone I have no problem with blue tint I would recommend the pixel 2 xl to anyone
    milehigherik likes this.
    03-13-2018 07:25 PM
    Ugh. I'm guessing the bottom photo is from the Samsung? I can tell because it's soft and too light (or white). The white balance is off. I hate it.

I'm glad I canceled my preorder.
    03-13-2018 07:28 PM
    the selfie camera is better on the pixel 2xl then the s9+
    the iPhone X comes 3rd to these phones
    milehigherik likes this.
    03-13-2018 07:35 PM
    No; but in my world reading is important. Have you looked at the sub scores? Do you have any idea what the sub scores mean? Do you have any idea what I wrote in the quote that you just responded to? Your response indicates that the answer to all three of those questions is no. If I'm mistaken and one of the answers is yes, then you did a terrible job of representing your argument.
    Do you know what the overall score is? If the Pixel trounces EVERYTHING why did the S9+ get a better overall score? And why did they rate it the best smartphone camera ?
    03-13-2018 07:41 PM
    These scores are just the combined score in all categories. We can argue all day long on what beats what. Everyone sees something different. If you prefer the pixel cool. No harm. It Does win in different categories. But the overall combined score is what it is. Why go back and forth.
    03-13-2018 07:42 PM
    Do you know what the overall score is? If the Pixel trounces EVERYTHING why did the S9+ get a better overall score? And why did they rate it the best smartphone camera ?
    I dunno, I suppose I and others answered that already. I suppose you could read it and answer your own question. Also, pay attention a little to the straw man you're creating to argue against - because no one has said that the Pixel trounces EVERYTHING.
    03-13-2018 07:44 PM
    These scores are just the combined score in all categories. We can argue all day long on what beats what. Everyone sees something different. If you prefer the pixel cool. No harm. It Does win in different categories. But the overall combined score is what it is. Why go back and forth.
    they're a weighted average with an obvious bias towards zoom and bokeh, so much so that they overcome exposure, color, contrast, etc. we don't know the exact weights, but it's obvious that it is biased in favor of dual cameras.
    03-13-2018 07:45 PM
    I dunno, I suppose I and others answered that already. I suppose you could read it and answer your own question. Also, pay attention a little to the straw man you're creating to argue against - because no one has said that the Pixel trounces EVERYTHING.
    I've come to the conclusion we can agree to disagree
    03-13-2018 07:48 PM
    I've come to the conclusion we can agree to disagree
    sounds good, have a good one
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    03-13-2018 07:49 PM
    I'm surprised you still think the Pixel 2 XL's have a widespread "crappy screen" issue. That myth was busted before it even went wide.
    Your know what want ain't busted? Pixel ain't got no card slot, 3.5 jack, or better sounding speakers. Ain't no bustin' that

I kid in my tone here of course. I do prefer pics from Pixel XL though, but prefer everything else with the 9+.
    03-13-2018 08:53 PM
    Your know what want ain't busted? Pixel ain't got no card slot, 3.5 jack, or better sounding speakers. Ain't no bustin' that

I kid in my tone here of course. I do prefer pics from Pixel XL though, but prefer everything else with the 9+.
    Which one has better speakers?

I personally don't care about the slot or jack port, but a whole lot of people do and I can see those as being selling points.

One of my friends lives in one of the markets that gets the 128 GB and 256 GB S9+ ... and the 128 GB is apparently only $50 more than the 64 GB, so sort of a no-brainer.

The camera question is sort of difficult, because it matters what kind of photos you take and how good you are at taking those photos. I am not a good photographer, so a lot of the extra feature that some phones have are no good to me - whichever works best as a point and shoot is what I want. In all honesty, and throwing all DXO nonsense out the window - I'm likely to be perfectly happy with either camera. I'm also pretty sure the vast majority of consumers can't tell the difference between photos they take with either phone.
    jhimmel likes this.
    03-13-2018 08:57 PM
    As predicted based on the reputable reviews the S9+ is going back. I'll leave it at these two selfies. One is the Pixel XL 2 and the other is the S9+. Both in portrait mode.

Does anyone know of a way to remove all the image processing that Samsung and LG do to their photos? I don't like fuzzy looking photos.

Attachment 280648Attachment 280649
    It's called beauty shot. Lots of people don't want phones that have such clean images of their face. Many girls I know prefer the fuzzy look that mattes their skin and hate the iPhone X because it doesn't do that. Now before you accuse them that they might be hideous or ugly, they're not.
    03-13-2018 09:01 PM
    the pixel2 front cam beats every other front cam out there right now. period. if the camera is your deciding factor, go with Google. their post processing is unreal. not even the most camerathusic tech geeks out there can figure out what makes it so good. if you have the pixel 2 already, hold out for the pixel 3 or wait and see what the other flagship bring to the table this year. I my self have an s9+ coming. it's the over all package for me that's the selling point. dat screen! but I totally agree that the pixel blows the s9 out of the water, at least in auto. I'll be tinkering around on pro mode to see what I can squeeze out if this thing.
    03-13-2018 10:02 PM
    ... anybody want pizza ?
    03-13-2018 11:23 PM
    ... anybody want pizza ?
    I do. Thank you.
    03-14-2018 12:11 AM
    It's called beauty shot. Lots of people don't want phones that have such clean images of their face. Many girls I know prefer the fuzzy look that mattes their skin and hate the iPhone X because it doesn't do that. Now before you accuse them that they might be hideous or ugly, they're not.
    I can see the benefit. I just wish I could disable it but still use auto mode. It's literally the only thing I don't like about this phone. Pairs perfectly with all of my Bluetooth accessories and most certainly works flawlessly with my Samsung gear s3 Frontier watch. Pixel XL 2 does not pair well with the watch.
    missrae2004 likes this.
    03-14-2018 12:28 AM
    have you tried out the google camera with the s9+ yet?
    Holy cow.... How ridiculous. Third party camera apps I've tried all cut the fuzzy edges filter the Samsung camera applies. I could care less that I lose the built in camera features. They aren't of use to me. Only initial frustration I can imagine is not having the ability to quick launch it.
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    03-14-2018 12:54 AM
    Front camera didn't get reimagined this time around gotta wait till the note or s10 to fix the front cam.
    Reimagined???? How would that help? Surely "improved" would be more useful.
    03-14-2018 09:06 AM
    As predicted based on the reputable reviews the S9+ is going back. I'll leave it at these two selfies. One is the Pixel XL 2 and the other is the S9+. Both in portrait mode.

Does anyone know of a way to remove all the image processing that Samsung and LG do to their photos? I don't like fuzzy looking photos.

Attachment 280648Attachment 280649
    You need to shoot in raw made like dslr do so you can get the digital negative suitable for edit in photoshop
    03-14-2018 09:10 AM
    That's just it... I want to pull out my camera and take a photo. The S9+ doesn't perform this the way I need it to. Here again. I pulled both phones out. Put them both in portrait mode and tapped on my face in the center. Then snapped the photo from arm's length away. Top photo is the Samsung. I don't like my images all Samsung'd.
    Horrible photos-20180314_081136.jpgHorrible photos-00100sportrait_00100_burst20180314081140827_cover.jpg
    DMP89145 likes this.
    03-14-2018 09:19 AM
72 123