08-01-2018 05:00 PM
76 123 ...
tools
    As predicted based on the reputable reviews the S9+ is going back. I'll leave it at these two selfies. One is the Pixel XL 2 and the other is the S9+. Both in portrait mode.

Does anyone know of a way to remove all the image processing that Samsung and LG do to their photos? I don't like fuzzy looking photos.

Horrible photos-00100sportrait_00100_burst20180313131512899_cover.jpgHorrible photos-20180313_131511.jpg
    jgreg02 likes this.
    03-13-2018 03:10 PM
    As predicted based on the reputable reviews the S9+ is going back. I'll leave it at these two selfies. One is the Pixel XL 2 and the other is the S9+. Both in portrait mode.

Does anyone know of a way to remove all the image processing that Samsung and LG do to their photos? I don't like fuzzy looking photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180313131512899_COVER.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	280648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180313_131511.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	280649
    Samsung loses all details and the colors are unnatural.
    DMP89145 and libra89 like this.
    03-13-2018 03:11 PM
    Front camera didn't get reimagined this time around gotta wait till the note or s10 to fix the front cam.
    milehigherik and coolted like this.
    03-13-2018 03:16 PM
    Front camera didn't get reimagined this time around gotta wait till the note or s10 to fix the front cam.
    Couldn't have said it better myself! Camera in the front was definitely not reimagined. My buddy at work has the Galaxy S7 Edge and we were comparing our photos side-by-side and his is about as good a quality as mine front-facing photo.
    RandomGuy Yo and libra89 like this.
    03-13-2018 03:33 PM
    Couldn't have said it better myself! Camera in the front was definitely not reimagined. My buddy at work has the Galaxy S7 Edge and we were comparing our photos side-by-side and his is about as good a quality as mine front-facing photo.
    Use a RAW camera app that has it's own JPEG engine and see if that works.
    milehigherik and coolted like this.
    03-13-2018 03:43 PM
    Use a RAW camera app that has it's own JPEG engine and see if that works.
    Bro if you have some links to this that would be great! That's why I love these forums. I had the V30 for about a week and someone shared a pixel camera app with me that worked just fine I can't seem to find the APK file that will work with the S9 plus just yet.
    03-13-2018 03:46 PM
    Bro if you have some links to this that would be great! That's why I love these forums. I had the V30 for about a week and someone shared a pixel camera app with me that worked just fine I can't seem to find the APK file that will work with the S9 plus just yet.
    If you have the Adobe Creative Cloud their app has a camera with a RAW option. The other most popular option is Procam but I believe that's $5 (I think can use on multiple phones?) I'm sure there are free apps, too, but I'm unaware of them.
    03-13-2018 04:10 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180313131512899_COVER.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	280648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180313_131511.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	280649
    I'm surprised you liked the Pixel 2 XL with the crappy screen
    fgcchevy and One King like this.
    03-13-2018 04:58 PM
    My second one had zero screen issues. However after watching several reviews on YouTube of the two cameras compared I am confident that requesting another S9 plus is going to fix nothing.
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    03-13-2018 05:20 PM
    When you switch to the front facing camera (on the S8+ at least), you have a little icon at the bottom middle of the camera viewer image. Click that. Pull the Skin Tone and Spotlight down to 0. Looks like he has makeup on. By default, Samsung has the beauty mode kicked in to make you look better. May make a woman look better, but it makes a man look more like a woman with what they do. I don't mind my creases in my face..
    03-13-2018 05:31 PM
    Snapseed, Photoshop Express, and Lightroom Mobile all have RAW support and are free.
    03-13-2018 05:31 PM
    When you switch to the front facing camera (on the S8+ at least), you have a little icon at the bottom middle of the camera viewer image. Click that. Pull the Skin Tone and Spotlight down to 0. Looks like he has makeup on. By default, Samsung has the beauty mode kicked in to make you look better. May make a woman look better, but it makes a man look more like a woman with what they do. I don't mind my creases in my face..
    Appreciate you... I checked that option previously. It certainly has an effect. Even fully turned down pictures still look fuzzy...
    MooMooPrincess likes this.
    03-13-2018 06:05 PM
    I'm surprised you still think the Pixel 2 XL's have a widespread "crappy screen" issue. That myth was busted before it even went wide.
    DMP89145, libra89, bhatech and 1 others like this.
    03-13-2018 06:14 PM
    My second one had zero screen issues. However after watching several reviews on YouTube of the two cameras compared I am confident that requesting another S9 plus is going to fix nothing.
    Well dxo mark said it’s the best camera on a smartphone. And since the Pixel was their top choice beating everything including the Note 8 for them to rank the S9+ better has to mean they’re really impressed with it
    milehigherik likes this.
    03-13-2018 06:16 PM
    Well dxo mark said it’s the best camera on a smartphone. And since the Pixel was their top choice beating everything including the Note 8 for them to rank the S9+ better has to mean they’re really impressed with it
    That's a very misguided title. The only way that could be considered to be true, by their own standards, is if zoom is the most important quality of a smartphone. On all the aspects of photography that actually matter, the P2XL beats it hands down. That's shown in DXO's own numbers. There's a good thread about it, but the S9+ is absolutely not the best camera on a smartphone - it merely has the highest combined score so far, based on the new criteria which heavily favors having multiple cameras as opposed to a single lens. So there is now less emphasis on image quality and more emphasis on the more sensational and also more trivial aspects of photography that are enhanced by having a second lens.

Everyone said DXO was full of it when they scored the P2XL above everything else... either they were or they weren't. If they were, then they're just as full of it now. The fact is, as was realized then, is that the combined score is meaningless. It's the individual scores that actually give us good information and if you look at those scores, the P2XL trounces the S9+.
    milehigherik and James E1 like this.
    03-13-2018 06:30 PM
    I totally agree with you man on paper it looks great!

For me the first thing I do is pull the phone out and take a selfie and then take a photo of something kind of far away and zoom in on it. I base my decision on the quality of those two images. If I can zoom in on something far away and maintain detail that's great. Based on the tests that I have performed the S9 plus camera will not work for me.

I am going to mess around with some 3rd party cans apps before I make my decision.

I hope everyone else finds that this phone is ideal for their needs. It has some great features.
    RevePro and libra89 like this.
    03-13-2018 06:32 PM
    I totally agree with you man on paper it looks great!

For me the first thing I do is pull the phone out and take a selfie and then take a photo of something kind of far away and zoom in on it. I base my decision on the quality of those two images. If I can zoom in on something far away and maintain detail that's great. Based on the tests that I have performed the S9 plus camera will not work for me.

I am going to guess around with some 3rd party cans apps before I make my decision.

I hope everyone else finds that this phone is ideal for their needs. It has some great features.
    have you tried out the google camera with the s9+ yet?
    milehigherik likes this.
    03-13-2018 06:34 PM
    That's a very misguided title. The only way that could be considered to be true, by their own standards, is if zoom is the most important quality of a smartphone. On all the aspects of photography that actually matter, the P2XL beats it hands down. That's shown in DXO's own numbers. There's a good thread about it, but the S9+ is absolutely not the best camera on a smartphone - it merely has the highest combined score so far, based on the new criteria which heavily favors having multiple cameras as opposed to a single lens. So there is now less emphasis on image quality and more emphasis on the more sensational and also more trivial aspects of photography that are enhanced by having a second lens.

Everyone said DXO was full of it when they scored the P2XL above everything else... either they were or they weren't. If they were, then they're just as full of it now. The fact is, as was realized then, is that the combined score is meaningless. It's the individual scores that actually give us good information and if you look at those scores, the P2XL trounces the S9+.
    I agree with this one hundred percent. Whether or not it works for me is separate from DXO marks reviews. I've got the phone in hand with a case and some accessories. I want to love it.
    03-13-2018 06:34 PM
    I'm surprised you still think the Pixel 2 XL's have a widespread "crappy screen" issue. That myth was busted before it even went wide.
    The blue tint seemed very real on mine. :-(
    03-13-2018 06:38 PM
    The blue tint seemed very real on mine. :-(
    Was it a serious issue that made using the device very frustrating and did your device lead you to believe that most or all of the devices have that issue? From reading through the threads here and having seen quite a few of these devices, my impression is the opposite - that the issue is rarely drastic, doesn't appear as a problem on most devices and seems to only appear when people are specifically looking for it, typically with an all white screen, such as on Google Now and when held at extreme angles.
    03-13-2018 06:40 PM
    And I say that in good faith, I do think Google has a serious QC issue and that the fact that you or anyone saw this issue is completely unacceptable and they need to get their act together. But I by no means believe that the issue is widespread ... as far as I can tell, the odds of getting a bad one from a tint perspective are less than 1 in 100. 1 in 10,000 is far too high, so 1 in 100 is horrible. I'm not arguing that it doesn't exist, merely that the media went nuts with this for the clicks and have people looking for something and then confirmation bias takes care of the rest.
    DMP89145 and bhatech like this.
    03-13-2018 06:45 PM

You can go back further than that. When the V20 came out, they ranked it high but not the best even though real world use begged to differ. That's when it was discovered that DxO only tests in auto mode (like every other review), which meant they also encountered LG's overly aggressive noise reduction that hurts image quality.

While yes, knowing a camera's abilities in auto mode is important, it's not really judging the hardware due to the software programming. If you used manual mode to save as RAW files, the V20 is able to do much better and several people called DxO out on it at the time. If you're going to be scoring a camera, you need to at least separate hardware from software results.
    Itsa_Me_Mario and RevePro like this.
    03-13-2018 06:58 PM
    Was it a serious issue that made using the device very frustrating
    Very much so. I couldn't stand looking at it with white background screens, no extreme angles required. I'm being honest here, it was really bad on mine. I don't doubt that some are better than others, but the consensus has been that the 2 XL has a blue tint issue.
    bchain996 likes this.
    03-13-2018 07:01 PM
    Very much so. I couldn't stand looking at it with white background screens, no extreme angles required. I'm being honest here, it was really bad on mine. I don't doubt that some are better than others, but the consensus has been that the 2 XL has a blue tint issue.
    I don't doubt your experience at all, just whether or not it is statistically normal. That consensus is based on early reprinting of one reviewer's review unit. I have seen the blue tint myself, just not any worse than other comparable devices.
    03-13-2018 07:04 PM
    You can go back further than that. When the V20 came out, they ranked it high but not the best even though real world use begged to differ. That's when it was discovered that DxO only tests in auto mode (like every other review), which meant they also encountered LG's overly aggressive noise reduction that hurts image quality.

While yes, knowing a camera's abilities in auto mode is important, it's not really judging the hardware due to the software programming. If you used manual mode to save as RAW files, the V20 is able to do much better and several people called DxO out on it at the time. If you're going to be scoring a camera, you need to at least separate hardware from software results.
    V20 is a great example. Really good hardware with terrobad auto software. Shooting in manual mode it's a beast.
    Mooncatt likes this.
    03-13-2018 07:12 PM
76 123 ...