Galaxy s9 plus, I want to change the color of my messages and the text bubble. How do I do that?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'd like to know how to change the color of my text messages and the text bubbles.

david.narron.9

Apr 19, 2018
Visit site
Does anyone know how to change the contacts font color. Mine turned black sometime last night and now I cant read who the contacts are
01d99fc94fe097f9411ef3b4970754f0.jpg

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
As others have mentioned I think it is linked to your theme. I just use the theme that came out of the box... liking it so far.

Really, there is no reason to not go with stock Samsung apps anymore. They really work well and they are integrated into the core of many features such as Bixby or Gear watch for example. I used to be first to whine about touchwiz but generalized slags against stock samsung are for the most part illfounded now.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
As others have mentioned I think it is linked to your theme. I just use the theme that came out of the box... liking it so far.

Really, there is no reason to not go with stock Samsung apps anymore. They really work well and they are integrated into the core of many features such as Bixby or Gear watch for example. I used to be first to whine about touchwiz but generalized slags against stock samsung are for the most part illfounded now.

Your loss, textra is soooo much better than messages. Seems daft to me not to use something that is better and much more customisable which is what this thread is about.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Your loss, textra is soooo much better than messages. Seems daft to me not to use something that is better and much more customisable which is what this thread is about.
I did use Textra back when I had my LG because I didn't like that stock app. But what do you want to customize that can't be done in the Samsung S9 stock app? Just visual and sound effects?

scottbeamer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Why not customize all of your Samsung apps and phone settings with a uniform Samsung theme?

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site

I agree, but as one person mentioned ITT, the stock messages app exclusively works with Gear devices. If you want the ability to reply directly to texts from your Gear (and I do using voice to text) you will need to use the stock app or Verizon Message+. You can read the texts from apps like Textra, but you cannot reply, at all. The only app other than stock that I've found works is Verizon Message+

It seems to enable you to still use the stock messaging app on gear. For some reason, Gear will let you block notifications from Message+ and still receive notifications from stock app, as well as, reply directly to texts.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Why not customize all of your Samsung apps and phone settings with a uniform Samsung theme?

I do use themes already, it's not just about the colours/icons etc, textra offers so much more customisation options than the stock app. And you cant change the text bubble colours in the stock app, which is what the OP was asking about, but you can in Textra.

Last edited:

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I agree, but as one person mentioned ITT, the stock messages app exclusively works with Gear devices. If you want the ability to reply directly to texts from your Gear (and I do using voice to text) you will need to use the stock app or Verizon Message+. You can read the texts from apps like Textra, but you cannot reply, at all. The only app other than stock that I've found works is Verizon Message+

It seems to enable you to still use the stock messaging app on gear. For some reason, Gear will let you block notifications from Message+ and still receive notifications from stock app, as well as, reply directly to texts.

Yep fair point, but only relevant i guess if the OP is using Gear devices.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I did use Textra back when I had my LG because I didn't like that stock app. But what do you want to customize that can't be done in the Samsung S9 stock app? Just visual and sound effects?

Copy n paste from the store;

180+ material design themes, bubble & app icon colors, Dark, light & auto-night modes, multiple bubble styles, scheduled (future) SMS & MMS, stop during send, slide to delete, slide to call, quick snap camera, multi-select picture gallery, quick reply popup, MMS GROUP messaging, quick voice memos, GIFs, 21 text sizes, message blocker / blacklisting, pin-to-top, automatic video & picture compression

Customize your preferred theme & bubble colors, signatures and notifications (icon color, LED color, sound, vibration, privacy, reminders and muting) PER CONTACT as well.

Get all the latest (Unicode 9) 2000+ Android, Twitter, Emoji One & iOS style emojis including diversity (skin tone).

New: Copy Partial Text inside a bubble, tap a bubble to check out this great new feature!

Fully compatible with Pushbullet, MightyText, Android Wear and Android Auto (car) for enhanced notifications and quick reply.

That's not all of the additional options you get over the stock app either.

Kris M2

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Go to the settings and click on wallpaper and themes. Choose themes. There you can pick a theme that will change your messages and text bubbles. It also changes your wallpaper and icons but you can download the theme and then go back and change your wallpaper to whatever you want.