Did anyone else return their S9 to keep the S8?

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I got my S9+ and thought it would defy all of the negative articles saying it was exactly the same as the S8. It didn't. I went through the settings, the camera, the intelligent scan, etc. Yes, the speakers, camera, Dolby Atmos, and Intelligent Scan were all great but nothing to lose my upgrade over. The fingerprint sensor works faster but for those who hated the placement of it on the S8, it's still right by the camera and easy to accidentally miss and smudge the camera lens. The phone screen dimensions are actually a hair smaller according to the specs.

Also, Samsung is doing away with the upgrade annually program with Verizon so if you use your upgrade from S8 to S9, you lose your chance to upgrade to the next Samsung phone that actually has major changes unless you pay off your S9 completely first. That's a helluva lot of money to fork over for a phone that's almost exactly like the last one you had.

The S9, to me, is akin to Apple's upgrades from a 6 to a 6S, etc. They should have called the S9 the S8s.

I'm keeping my S8+ until I see a major update to form, function, and aesthetics.

You?

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Lmao, if you expected the S9 to detail your car, brush your teeth, and pay for your dinner dates, then yes return it and switch to iPhone. You just mentioned the upgrades in it and that's more than enough for me to upgrade🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Lmao, if you expected the S9 to detail your car, brush your teeth, and pay for your dinner dates, then yes return it and switch to iPhone. You just mentioned the upgrades in it and that's more than enough for me to upgrade🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️
She didn't say anything about brushing her teeth, detailing her car, or moving to iPhone. Just gave her personal opinion after trying it. Try not to take it personally.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an S8, but that seems to be the big debate for those that do. I didn't pull the trigger on the S9 myself yet, I'm waiting for deals but yeah, I've looked at both side by side and I can't see a huge reason to upgrade either if you have the S8/S8+.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I got my S9+ and thought it would defy all of the negative articles saying it was exactly the same as the S8. It didn't. I went through the settings, the camera, the intelligent scan, etc. Yes, the speakers, camera, Dolby Atmos, and Intelligent Scan were all great but nothing to lose my upgrade over. The fingerprint sensor works faster but for those who hated the placement of it on the S8, it's still right by the camera and easy to accidentally miss and smudge the camera lens. The phone screen dimensions are actually a hair smaller according to the specs.

Also, Samsung is doing away with the upgrade annually program with Verizon so if you use your upgrade from S8 to S9, you lose your chance to upgrade to the next Samsung phone that actually has major changes unless you pay off your S9 completely first. That's a helluva lot of money to fork over for a phone that's almost exactly like the last one you had.

The S9, to me, is akin to Apple's upgrades from a 6 to a 6S, etc. They should have called the S9 the S8s.

I'm keeping my S8+ until I see a major update to form, function, and aesthetics.

You?
It's not a big upgrade from S8, so it'll come down more like are you the one who upgrades every year irrespective of if there are significant changes or not. Also, Samsung has their own yearly upgrade program similar to Apple upgrade program. So if your carrier isn't offering it, you can check out Samsung.com for details if that's what you are looking for.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

You?
With that change u mentioned from Verizon I can understand why u would want to hold off. That being said, I don't like holding off without knowing what to expect from what's to come. I'm not a huge fan of the Note phones, IDK if TMobile will ever pick up the pixel phones, and I have NO clue what's coming from LG this summer. The loss for me would be in paying for my Jump! plan and not using it to keep up w the latest devices.

djn83

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
I've moved over to S9 from Sony Z5c. Took me a long time to come to terms with the ever increasing size of phones but now I've bit the bullet I quite like it.

Looking at the spec sheet, if I had the S8 I certainly wouldn't be getting the 9. I'm on the upgrade scheme now, but I doubt I'll get the 'S10', unless there are significant new features and changes, and the price point isn't ridiculous. This S9 is advanced enough not to be that out dated in 12 months!

gazuga6176

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I love tech. period. if I could own an iPhone and an android, I would. I would also upgrade every year if I could. but for most, the "tock" version of any flagship will be lackluster if you already have the "tick". I upgraded from the s7, and it's fantastic. so I got in on the tock (which is what reasonable people do, as it's usually the refined version), and will be getting the tick s10 next year. that's the one to wait for. if you can. Cuz new phones are fun.

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
Between the specs, speakerphone and the cameras if you could afford it, going with the s9+ is too great to pass up. Even the fingerprint placement is a big deal for me and the text messages app is really good now.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm so happy I never use an upgrapde though my carrier. I don't have to worry about being told how and when I can upgrade MY phone

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The jump is not huge from the 8 to 9 and the media points this out. Not negative articles really. That said, I'm still debating getting my 9+, since my 8+ rocks. Oreo seems to have made it even better.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Kind of, I returned my 9+ and picked up a 3 month old 8+ for less than half the price. I agree it feels like an 8s, undoubtedly better but not worth the premium imo. Still think the FPS is too small and too close to the camera too.

I have owned the 8 and 8+ before but still picking another one up for less than £400 feels like a great option

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Dual cameras and dual stereo speakers is enough reason for me to make that switch personally but for the average person I'd struggle to recommend that switch and I'd actually suggest waiting for the S10 or even Note 9

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
She expected the phone to be 100% different and new from the s8...
You sure like to exaggerate. She did not expect it to be "100% different". She tried it, found some improvements, but not enough to use her upgrade. She decided to stick with her S8 and save her upgrade for a more dramatic leap. At least she tried it herself before making a decision. Why the insults? What's the big deal? You don't agree, and that's okay. You can decide how to spend your own money. People take this stuff so personally...

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The S9+ has more RAM, dual cameras, stereo speakers...that's 3 significant differences right there.

The FPS placement takes some getting used to, however the case I have has a recess under the scanner - it helps me to avoid the camera lens(es).

What improvements do you think the Note 9 will have over the S9/S9+? Other than a higher capacity battery, I'm not hearing about any major changes (I believe the under-screen FPS isn't going to happen with Note 9).

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I still went ahead and upgraded. I'm happy I did. I have a ton of apps, and this phone is noticeably faster than my S8+. Also, like you said, the Verizon upgrade program is going away. Might as well use that last free upgrade because next year I would have been able to upgrade anyway. You have the most to gain a year after you purchased the initial device if you're using the annual upgrade plan.