S9+ How to default save to SD card?

Gandhi113

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Got an SD card for my S9+ and installed it. I've been searching help and YouTube for info on how to make the S9+ save to the SD card by default. Can it be done? I know how to copy or move files and folders from internal storage to the SD card, just not this.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what you're trying to save. If you insert a card, the stock camera app will automatically try to save pictures to it (it will ask you first, though...and I strongly recommend against it... you should only use the SD card for disposable data and data you've backed up elsewhere...). Multimedia apps like Spotify or Netflix will also offer the option to use the SD Card for offline data once it's been detected.

If you want to save downloaded files from a browser, most don't support setting up a default folder for it and will save to internal memory.

Some apps will not allow any data saves to external storage.

Again, depends on the app you're using. Just remember, Android places restrictions on apps' access to SD Card files (which is why many just opted out from saving data to them). Any non-stock app can only write/modify files in a folder the same app created. So a photo editing app can open a picture created by the camera app, but will not be able to modify the file or write to the same folder to save a copy...it will have to create a separate folder and then be able to manipulate the files only in that folder.

Apps will also vary depending on the dev (some can be moved, some will only allow external downloads to be moved, some will only allow save files, some will not allow SD card move at all...again, up to each app developer). Once you move apps to the SD card, however, should the SD card become corrupted or unavailable, the app will fail and most likely will need to be re-installed and data be lost if it wasn't backed up.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Got an SD card for my S9+ and installed it. I've been searching help and YouTube for info on how to make the S9+ save to the SD card by default. Can it be done? I know how to copy or move files and folders from internal storage to the SD card, just not this.
No Samsung does not allow any of there devices to use the SD card are a default storage. I believe HTC does unfortunately Samsung does not.

acardshort

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
No Samsung does not allow any of there devices to use the SD card are a default storage. I believe HTC does unfortunately Samsung does not.

Please don't post replies if you don't provide correct info. People count on the advice. Samsung does allow transfers to sd card. My s9+ offered the option to save to SD card when I opened the camera app and it saw the card.

LordAndroid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Please don't post replies if you don't provide correct info. People count on the advice. Samsung does allow transfers to sd card. My s9+ offered the option to save to SD card when I opened the camera app and it saw the card.
Do your research prior to calling out my post the response I replied to clearly states using the SD card as the main form of storage where it overrides the internal storage and everything gets save on the SD card by default. As Samsung users we all know we can save content to the SD card for example apps that allow to be transferred, music, photos or almost any form of download for offline access. But that was not what this perticular post was about. Might wanna read slower next time sir

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Will be good if WhatsApp video files, pic sent by friends and family saved on SD card...
without messing with file manager copy and paste the hard and long way
Google Photo's does a great job by backing up my video's and picture.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
This is all up to the apps developers.
If the devs code the app to save the content to external memory then it will do it.
Nothing to do with samsung or android.

harryluna

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site
"Transfer to the SD card" is not the same as "Using the SD card as default storage", which is what the OP is asking about. As you said, the Camera allows you to use the SD card as default storage, but I would like to use it as default storage for everything else, like I use to do on my Blu Life One X2...

harryluna

Aug 5, 2018
Visit site

"Transfer to the SD card" is not the same as "Using the SD card as default storage", which is what the OP is asking about. As you said, the Camera allows you to use the SD card as default storage, but I would like to use it as default storage for everything else, like I use to do on my Blu Life One X2...