How to turn off ATT start up sound/greeting on S9?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

When I power on the system volume being off, it still plays ATT chime. Is there a way to turn this off at start up?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Root the phone (which voids the warranty). Then go to /system/media/ui/audio and rename startup.ogg to something else (like startup.ogg.bak).

You can't do it without rooting, so you have to decide which is more important - silence or a warranty).

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Root the phone (which voids the warranty). Then go to /system/media/ui/audio and rename startup.ogg to something else (like startup.ogg.bak).

You can't do it without rooting, so you have to decide which is more important - silence or a warranty).

Really? Suggesting root (which compromises security potentially as well as voids a perfectly good warranty).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Really? Suggesting root (which compromises security potentially as well as voids a perfectly good warranty).

He gave the person their answer. There is nothing wrong with it. It is possible -- with root. If the person values silencing a startup sound to root well.. That is their choice.

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Try the app called Silent Boot if it is still around. Haven't used it in a long time but used it to kill the awful old Verizon start up sounds.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
That's odd, I keep my phone on Vibrate and when I reboot I don't get AT&T start up sound. The phone itself has to be in silent mode or vibrate. Not the volume.

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Not the most practical, but if you can still return it, the unlocked version has a lot less bloatware, costs $720, and has no carrier or sound at startup. Should work on all carriers too. I got an unlocked one and slapped my ATT sim in with no issues.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Not the most practical, but if you can still return it, the unlocked version has a lot less bloatware, costs $720, and has no carrier or sound at startup. Should work on all carriers too. I got an unlocked one and slapped my ATT sim in with no issues.
The only issue is that you lose AT&T services.

klinefinedesign

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I just bought S9 plus and regret it. But I stopped that damn ATT sound by going into settings and sliding "system" down to zero... I rebooted and there are no sounds for shut down or boot

JamieStorm2

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Silent boot worked perfectly until Android 10 loaded. The developer of silent boot said that the mechanism he used was removed and he has no replacement for it so he's marked that app incompatible with Android 10.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can see why it would be important, though. If I had to power up or reboot my phone late at night in bed and a loud startup sound woke my wife up, I'd spend the rest of the night sleeping in the doghouse.:p

StanC 1

Apr 23, 2019
Visit site
ATT S9 with Android 10 and One UI ver 2.1. Updated software Aug 1 2020. Setting system volume to zero before reboot works, no restart sound!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon