07-01-2018 12:33 PM
243 ... 8910
tools
    Great pic! As I said before, there's no question the S9+ takes fantastic pics in good light. It's as soon as it gets a bit dark where I have a problem with images looking out of focus, especially visible on pet fur which just looks blurred and not sharp at all. Below are a couple of cropped shots from the sticky photo thread (posted by InsolentCat) to illustrate my point further...
    Attached Thumbnails Is my S9+ camera defective?-20180413_023432.jpg   Is my S9+ camera defective?-20180420_014205.jpg  
    05-25-2018 06:49 AM
    I'm not analyzing color accuracy in detail, but so far I'm very happy with my S9+ camera. Check out this night shot.Attachment 281342
    I agree with you I've been watching several samsung s9 camera tests from known tech youtubers and I'v been satisfied with their camera test on s9
    I know it can't beat the pixel 2's great camera but I tell you each camera smartphone has a different way of capturing outstanding photos. The S9's camera is very versatile
    05-27-2018 01:43 AM
    Hello guys.
    Any news about any update on the software?
    I'm posting 2 pictures of my dogs that are just awful. The white is just blurred out.
    I really mad about this.
    I'm thinking about making a complaint to Samsung and ask for my money back. My s7 took better pics than this.

BTW I'm using the s9
    Attached Thumbnails Is my S9+ camera defective?-20180519_170711.jpg   Is my S9+ camera defective?-20180608_175557.jpg  
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    06-11-2018 04:35 PM
    Hello guys.
    Any news about any update on the software?
    I'm posting 2 pictures of my dogs that are just awful. The white is just blurred out.
    I really mad about this.
    I'm thinking about making a complaint to Samsung and ask for my money back. My s7 took better pics than this.

BTW I'm using the s9
    They’re both a oversharpened mess. The top photo is pretty typical for Samsung. Oversharpened mess and saturated. The bottom one is smeared by over aggressive noise reduction.
    Again pretty typical for a lot of cp cams these days.
    hugofmaximo likes this.
    06-11-2018 08:53 PM
    Yes.
    I think it's inadmissible that my S7 was better at this than the s9 that is supposed to be "the Camera. Reimagined".
    Both pictures taken with the S9+ and in auto mode.
    06-12-2018 03:32 AM
    it's pretty sad this is still happening. I get some decent photos in pro mode but a typical smartphone user (including me) don't have the time to be playing with multiple options when your trying to get the perfect quick photo.

I feel my s8+ produced better photos 70% of the time, the s9+ camera has been quite disappointing considering it was the most promoted feature of the phone.
    06-12-2018 07:40 AM
    I'm not too impressed by the camera. It's good but there is times where it won't pick up details with or without the flash indoors. I've taken a few shots of my skimboard at night (no longer have the pics). With the light turned on in the room. The traction pads are a purple colour. No matter what I did the S9 plus couldn't pick up the diamond shapes /bumps in the grip. Was just a smudgy mess. Even with flash. This was both with and without the flash. Less than a metre away. My Pixel 2 XL picked those details up fine.
    goji26 likes this.
    06-13-2018 07:53 PM
    I’ve had every Samsung from the S4 through the S8 (which I sold about a year ago) and while some can take kinda ok photos, overall Samsung usually produces over saturated, with aggressive noise reduction and over sharpened photos, smearing a lot of the finer details.
    Pretty much all current cp cameras use aggressive noise reduction then over sharpen to try and mitigate some of the smearing from the noise reduction. Some makes (Samsung generally is one) also oversaturate the jpgs also.
    It’s just the nature of the physics and what the general public wants (no noise and oversaturated colors).
    Having said all this, the S9 Plus Camera continues to under impress me compared to some of the other Samsung’s.
    06-13-2018 08:23 PM
    Pretty much all current cp cameras use aggressive noise reduction then over sharpen to try and mitigate some of the smearing from the noise reduction. Some makes (Samsung generally is one) also oversaturate the jpgs also.
    It’s just the nature of the physics and what the general public wants (no noise and oversaturated colors).
    That's true. I also think there are other factors at play:

-A lot of people might upgrade to a Galaxy S9 from a 3 year old phone from another brand, and therefore be really impressed with the camera. If they upgraded from an S8 or Pixel 2 they might not feel the same.

-A lot of people are not that bothered about "quality" or details, and just want something that looks bright and pleasing.

-A lot of people might not compare photos side-by-side.

-A lot of people only ever look at their photos on their phone screen or on a tiny screen like an iPad. If they viewed them on a 28" colour calibrated IPS computer monitor like I do, they might not feel the same way.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    06-14-2018 04:30 AM
    That's true. I also think there are other factors at play:

-A lot of people might upgrade to a Galaxy S9 from a 3 year old phone from another brand, and therefore be really impressed with the camera. If they upgraded from an S8 or Pixel 2 they might not feel the same.

-A lot of people are not that bothered about "quality" or details, and just want something that looks bright and pleasing.

-A lot of people might not compare photos side-by-side.

-A lot of people only ever look at their photos on their phone screen or on a tiny screen like an iPad. If they viewed them on a 28" colour calibrated IPS computer monitor like I do, they might not feel the same way.
    Your last point is strong as it gets, that's why i ONLY judge photos on mine 27 inch monitor, as on small screen, everything looks good(especially instagram, if you apply filters).
    S9 camera is nice, good in low light but overall it isn't gonna win any rewards, there is a lot of oil painting photos, it happened on mine S7 Edge so much, i got a real DSLR at last.
    06-14-2018 04:53 AM
    What the S9/+ might lack in with details at times makes up for in features and modes. Also hardware. One reason I'm torn between our S9+ and 2 XL.
    When it comes to detail I guess we get too carried away. Unless we are blowing photos up. Other than that how much detail and quality do we really need when we can clearly make out the picture lol. Anyways just my 2 cents.
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    06-14-2018 03:58 PM
    It's rated higher then everything including the Pixel XL
    I'm surprised it's review is not glowing. And why make a phone with a glass back and not include wireless charging ????
    Not glowing? Every review I've read is glowing I have the Huawei P20 Pro in hand and agree it's hands down the best camera by far. Much better than the S9's.
    06-15-2018 02:20 AM
    What the S9/+ might lack in with details at times makes up for in features and modes. Also hardware. One reason I'm torn between our S9+ and 2 XL.
    When it comes to detail I guess we get too carried away. Unless we are blowing photos up. Other than that how much detail and quality do we really need when we can clearly make out the picture lol. Anyways just my 2 cents.
    Maybe wait 3 months and get the Pixel 3 XL?

As for detail, I don't think it takes pixel peeping to notice the difference. If you only look at your pics on a phone screen, then yes, any phone will do, but I very much notice the difference on a computer screen without zooming in. And if I'm spending that kind of cash on a phone with a "reimagined" camera, I expect really good results. Otherwise if not bothered about detail, might as well get a cheap budget phone...
    mwboost likes this.
    06-15-2018 05:19 AM
    This isn't about not having the perfect photo it's about not having much good photos at all. If I us the auto function I have to take at least 5 photos hoping ones good, my gfs iPhone 8 n 7 before don't have this problem.

I've had the s5/6/7/8, given what they've done with this phone the s9+ should be largely out performing the s8+ in this category, which most of the time it isn't.

Edit: Just wanted to add the video quality is amazing.
    mwboost likes this.
    06-15-2018 02:52 PM
    Found a website that suggested these settings plus turning face correction off, I've actually seen a bit of an improvement. Thought I'd share incase anyone wants to try them.
    Attached Thumbnails Is my S9+ camera defective?-4493.jpg  
    06-16-2018 07:52 PM
    Found a website that suggested these settings plus turning face correction off, I've actually seen a bit of an improvement. Thought I'd share incase anyone wants to try them.
    Has anyone tried the Google camera app from xda? Btw you can install it on snapdragon. Also in the Samsung camera pro mode you can select f2.4. I wonder if it gives better details?
    06-19-2018 12:33 AM
    So don't laugh at me, but I've got what is probably a stupid question that just might be related to this. When I unboxed my phone I called myself looking it over carefully to make sure I'd removed all of the protective film. Yet every time I turn around I find another small piece somewhere.

I looked very closely to see if there was any over the cameras (S9+) but it didn't look like there was. For obvious reasons I was afraid to scratch/pick at it too hard.

Can anyone tell me if they found protective film over the cameras? I'm wondering if there is and this is what's causing the blurry/muddy photos?
    06-30-2018 07:57 AM
    So don't laugh at me, but I've got what is probably a stupid question that just might be related to this. When I unboxed my phone I called myself looking it over carefully to make sure I'd removed all of the protective film. Yet every time I turn around I find another small piece somewhere.

I looked very closely to see if there was any over the cameras (S9+) but it didn't look like there was. For obvious reasons I was afraid to scratch/pick at it too hard.

Can anyone tell me if they found protective film over the cameras? I'm wondering if there is and this is what's causing the blurry/muddy photos?
    I believe there was film on there when I purchased mine if I remember correctly, some one else can back me up or correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it everywhere.
    07-01-2018 12:33 PM
243 ... 8910