Is my S9+ camera defective?

Jjren

Jun 19, 2018
Visit site
Found a website that suggested these settings plus turning face correction off, I've actually seen a bit of an improvement. Thought I'd share incase anyone wants to try them.
Has anyone tried the Google camera app from xda? Btw you can install it on snapdragon. Also in the Samsung camera pro mode you can select f2.4. I wonder if it gives better details?

Bermuda_Man

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
So don't laugh at me, but I've got what is probably a stupid question that just might be related to this. When I unboxed my phone I called myself looking it over carefully to make sure I'd removed all of the protective film. Yet every time I turn around I find another small piece somewhere.

I looked very closely to see if there was any over the cameras (S9+) but it didn't look like there was. For obvious reasons I was afraid to scratch/pick at it too hard.

Can anyone tell me if they found protective film over the cameras? I'm wondering if there is and this is what's causing the blurry/muddy photos?

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
So don't laugh at me, but I've got what is probably a stupid question that just might be related to this. When I unboxed my phone I called myself looking it over carefully to make sure I'd removed all of the protective film. Yet every time I turn around I find another small piece somewhere.

I looked very closely to see if there was any over the cameras (S9+) but it didn't look like there was. For obvious reasons I was afraid to scratch/pick at it too hard.

Can anyone tell me if they found protective film over the cameras? I'm wondering if there is and this is what's causing the blurry/muddy photos?

I believe there was film on there when I purchased mine if I remember correctly, some one else can back me up or correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it everywhere.

MJS10

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Sorry to bump such an old thread. The Pie update released for my S9+, EE UK has turned this camera around. I was having the same pain as so many others in this thread. But now it's the leap ahead of my S7 I'd hoped for.

Of note to editors. The RAW files look poor on first glance, with as much noise and softness as previous. The built in editing features can't bring the RAW up to the standard of the corresponding jpeg it produces for some reason. However, if you share the RAW file to Lightroom (I use the free version) it automatically runs an excellent algorithm on load up that works absolute magic to give you a very workable base image. I haven't managed to get Photoshop to perform the same witchcraft, nor snapseed. But Lightroom will do for me.

Also, as just a point and shoot for jpegs it's a massive jump on from where it was. Edges have... edges!! Colour grading is beautiful and accurate to RL. I really like it.

All in all, I've found it a massive jump. Finally got the camera I paid for. My Instagram account can live again!!

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to bump such an old thread. The Pie update released for my S9+, EE UK has turned this camera around. I was having the same pain as so many others in this thread. But now it's the leap ahead of my S7 I'd hoped for.

Of note to editors. The RAW files look poor on first glance, with as much noise and softness as previous. The built in editing features can't bring the RAW up to the standard of the corresponding jpeg it produces for some reason. However, if you share the RAW file to Lightroom (I use the free version) it automatically runs an excellent algorithm on load up that works absolute magic to give you a very workable base image. I haven't managed to get Photoshop to perform the same witchcraft, nor snapseed. But Lightroom will do for me.

Also, as just a point and shoot for jpegs it's a massive jump on from where it was. Edges have... edges!! Colour grading is beautiful and accurate to RL. I really like it.

All in all, I've found it a massive jump. Finally got the camera I paid for. My Instagram account can live again!!

That's awesome news. No more pleading with other camera app devs to support dual aperture and 2x optical zoom.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site

Just to clarify, is the Lightroom app you are referencing the one made by Adobe? If not, can you please share the exact name?

MJS10

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Just to clarify, is the Lightroom app you are referencing the one made by Adobe? If not, can you please share the exact name?

Yes it's Adobe Lightroom CC on the Play Store. Allow several seconds for the algorithm to apply itself on load up. It looks like nothing is happening but it appears to apply the algorithm tile by tile so takes a little while.

It's just a handy fast track to a pleasing and cleaner image to start work from. The same is hopefully possible with photoshop and snapseed but with a bit of legwork first just to clean it up.

MJS10

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Here's a quick example. I've zoomed in and cropped tight on the detail of the flower head and got some dark space in the background. Neither area was the target focus of the photograph (was just a quick snap in pro mode).

Aperture F2.4. Focal Length 4.30mm. ISO 100. Exposure 1/33s.

The first noisy jpeg is how the unedited dng file appears. The clean jpeg below that is how the dng file is cleaned automatically by the Adobe Lightroom algorithm on load-up. I couldn't get anywhere near that with my S9+ on Oreo.

Please be fair on the zoom and crop. They're rather extreme for any smartphone camera to shine and were not the target focus.

Attachments

• 20190208_094852.jpg
    20190208_094852.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 21
  • LRM_EXPORT_95118739638619_20190208_095043625.jpeg
    LRM_EXPORT_95118739638619_20190208_095043625.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 21

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Here's a quick example. I've zoomed in and cropped tight on the detail of the flower head and got some dark space in the background. Neither area was the target focus of the photograph (was just a quick snap in pro mode).

The first noisy jpeg is how the unedited dng file appears. The clean jpeg below that is how the dng file is cleaned automatically by the Adobe Lightroom algorithm on load-up. I couldn't get anywhere near that with my S9+ on Oreo.

Please be fair on the zoom and crop. They're rather extreme for any smartphone camera to shine and were not the target focus.

Wow, much improved! Another question (sorry, know nothing about photography) what settings should the stock camera be on to have the best file to load into Lightroom so it can do its magic? You mentioned raw images?

MJS10

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
Wow, much improved! Another question (sorry, know nothing about photography) what settings should the stock camera be on to have the best file to load into Lightroom so it can do its magic? You mentioned raw images?

You can only get the raw/dng format files with Pro mode. It's the dng file that Lightroom will do its magic with.

The jpegs produced in phone in either Auto mode or Pro mode are much better now than on Oreo. I haven't tested the other modes yet. You only need the dng files if the subject of thorough editing is your thing. The jpegs are a good enough quality of their own now for a little light editing or sharing straight to social media.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
RAW files aren't meant to be used as is. They're meant to be uploaded to a photo editor for conversion to JPEG, TIFF, etc. That's why they don't “look right.”

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I think you’re failing to understand about raw (dng in this case) files.
The image you see when you look at a raw with whatever photo app you’re using is simply a very low resolution, very tiny jpg thumbnail that is embedded into the raw file. Of course it looks like crap if you enlarge it at all. It is simple a thumbnail.
The raw file, other than that small low res thumbnail, has nothing else in it that is viewable by any photo app. That’s why the raws have a thumbnail embedded into them. To allow a person to quickly sort though the raws.
The raw file contains (other than the thumbnail) a bunch of digital numbers that are the luminance value of each pixel and a bunch of metadata which are instructions for the raw converter and other data needed by the converter.
Any raw converter works that “magic” and converts all that data into a viewable image.
There are many raw converters available. Lightroom is only one of many.
There are several excellent free raw converters that are every bit as good as LR or better.
For example I don’t use LR anymore as it still has trouble handling the x-trans sensor data from the higher end Fujifilm cameras (which I use).

MJS10

Feb 6, 2019
Visit site
What? My series of posts is about the Pie update on the S9+ helping produce quality raw files (and jpegs). They were terrible with any editor under Oreo. I've found Lightroom handles the new files well, hence the examples.

Bermuda_Man

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
What? My series of posts is about the Pie update on the S9+ helping produce quality raw files (and jpegs). They were terrible with any editor under Oreo. I've found Lightroom handles the new files well, hence the examples.

Technical details of RAW files aside, the main point of the post was that the Pie update has helped improve the camera. This is still great news, thanks for letting us know.

Bermuda_Man

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
"There are many raw converters available. Lightroom is only one of many.
There are several excellent free raw converters that are every bit as good as LR or better. "

I personally like Lightroom but am always interested in trying others as well, what are some of your recommendations for free editors?

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
"There are many raw converters available. Lightroom is only one of many.
There are several excellent free raw converters that are every bit as good as LR or better. "

I personally like Lightroom but am always interested in trying others as well, what are some of your recommendations for free editors?

Yes:

- Raw Therapee is a very well known one.
- Darktable is another very well known one.

Both of these are open source projects and have been around for a long time.
Darktable is a full featured raw converter having spot adjustments, mask and layers with fully adjustable opacity etc., gradient filters, advance color adjustments, etc.
Darktable is the most full featured of the two, surpassing even LR in some areas.
Both have extensive YouTube tutorials.
Goggle them.

I use Darktable. I used LR for years and it was ok but became a little disappointed with its outputs sometimes and also it’s subscription only pricing now.
Also of all the raw converters (paid or free) available, it’s the worse in regards to its handling of the Fujifilm raw files. They use a different type of CFA (color filter array) sensor than most other digital cameras and LR just hasn’t been able to figure it out (or so it seems). :)
Besides LR (regarding paid commercial raw converters) I’ve used DXO and Capture One, both of which are fanstastic raw converters also.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Raw Therapee and Darktable, both have steep learning curves (Darktable more so mainly because of all of it’s very advanced features), however both have extensive user manuals and both have expensive YouTube tutorials available.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I would be more than surprised if the raw files changed because of Pie. Post up a couple of pre and post Pie raws somewhere (maybe your G Drive) where we can get to them please. :)