03-24-2018 11:03 AM
40 12
tools
    Who came to the s9 or s9+ from an iPhone 8/8 plus or iPhone x ? What are your thoughts ?
    03-20-2018 09:00 PM
    I have both s9 plus and iPhone 8 Plus. I don't know which way to go. I like certain things about both. Neither is quite perfect
    03-20-2018 10:17 PM
    Just had an iPhone 8 plus for like 5 months. Didn't mind it at first, then slowly started to hate it. News of the S9 started coming out and I really wanted to go back to Android. Had the LG V10, then the Galaxy S8, tried the LG V30 and had an issue with the Bluetooth with it and my car, then had an iPhone 8 plus, now the S9+. Love the S9+.
    areyes163 likes this.
    03-20-2018 10:24 PM
    I have an X and an S9. Love both for different reasons. If I could only keep one it would be the X though as I’ve had every Galaxy S and Note in recent memory and every one of them starts showing some lag and battery degradation a month or two in. It’s not an Android issue though as my Sony Xperia XZ Premium hasn’t shown these traits even after extensive use. It’s just the Samsung software that hasn’t been chiseled to near perfection as much as their hardware has been.
    s0070cm likes this.
    03-20-2018 10:33 PM
    I had both the iPhone 8plus and the iPhone x. Both great devices for sure. I get every new iPhone ad they work well. But I get bored quickly. I like change. And with android I can change a lot. Whether it be a theme or widget whatever. The s9 plus had been excellent so far and my battery life is the best I've had of any device on a long time. Very happy with this one. Looks to possibly be that one I'll keep for a little while. Well. Hopefully. Lol. But it has been great.
    manni1to likes this.
    03-20-2018 10:35 PM
    I most recently had an iPhone x. I literally change phones every couple weeks just by trading and such. My goal is to keep the s9+ for 6 months. Haha.
    s0070cm and verks like this.
    03-21-2018 05:32 AM
    I still have my X and just got this S9+. It's an interesting comparison. iOS demolishes Android on messaging, because so many people use iMessage. Full resolution video messages are greatly missed because even with advanced messaging on the S9+ the videos look like poo stink. Nunny poo. Poo caca. Caca of the Poobaloo.

Samsung Pay is the best mobile payment platform in terms of compatibility, but runs into occasional jank more than Apple Pay (could be based on attempts made).

I like the notchless design of the Infinity Display but the notch is a non issue. True Tone on iPhone X is amazing. Its hard to unsee the blue on other displays. I like the robust ecosystem of products offered by both companies and the fact that Samsung makes products that "feel" like Samsung products while Google for example, makes products that "feel" like they're made for people who can't admit they really want an iPhone/the Apple experience. I think thats secondary to the nature of the Android buyer, there is a vein of Android commentators out there that are closet hipsters whose primary buying decisions are based more on feeling like their a part of a small "hyper informed" group when in reality they possibly are extra sensitive to dissonance. There are psychological works done to back the process of this type of buying because it makes people incredibly easy to market too, as does granular group identity, but I digress. The correlation is in that I also like how focused on "every person" both Samsung and Apple are. That means faster adoption of products and services and a thriving 3rd party market. Apple has the upper hand in that regard, but I can't overstate how much Samsung Pay closes that gap.

The ecosystem is an interesting argument as well. I like entertainment products and Samsung delivers in that department beyond were Apple is, but Apple TV 4K is a better box (aggregator of streaming products) than others I have tried.

They are both great devices. If MMS could hang on video compression, I'd probably lean S9.
    03-21-2018 07:12 AM
    I'm also using the 256GB iPhone 8 Plus with my S9+.

Completely different and love both.

The advantage of going with an iPhone is that you HAVE ACCESS to your Google Play purchases.
    03-21-2018 07:21 AM
    I have both the X and S9+, I'm always primarily an Android user the X is a great device but iOS just doesn't do it for me. iMessage arguement for me is a moot point since everyone I mainly contact is on Facebook and FB messenger fills that void of crappy video sharing and whatnot. Multitasking, notifications system, app defaults, one common file system location for all apps to access, ability to download files and open them with my default or any app for that matter, are just a few things that will always keep me on Android.
    03-21-2018 09:16 AM
    Oh and YES Samsung Pay is life! If the magnetic strip is not available you can still pay using NFC. No problems at all. This is a main feature of what keeps me on Samsung devices as my primary of all my Android devices.
    03-21-2018 09:18 AM
    Yeah have the iPhone X, other than camera I'm not sure if you can compare each other. Different OS both have pros and cons. I have zero issues switching between them, prefer iOS for some stuff and Android for others. One thing I can compare directly is camera. I also have the pixel 2 XL and in terms of camera I still prefer Pixel 2 XL, iPhone X and then S9 in that order. But they are all very close and comes down to preference.

One thing I also noticed is how great it is to hold and use iPhone X in general. Perfect size. This made me initiate a return for S9+ which I felt was little uncomfortable to use in general, and order a S9 instead.
    03-21-2018 09:18 AM
    iPhone x here I'm just tired of iOS, grid of apps and notifications.
    03-21-2018 09:21 AM
    Have an iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL, and bought a regular S9 on launch day. My name is Jonathan and I'm an addict...

The S9 is more comfortable in-hand than the iPhone X. It's lighter and just slightly narrower. iOS 11 isn't without lag, so the infrequent stutters on the S9 don't bother me at all. So much more customization vs. iPhone, love that. In terms of pure software experience and smoothness, the Pixel 2 XL blows both the iPhone X and S9 away. Not even close.

I find that the stereo speakers on the S9 w/ Atmos enabled sound fuller / richer than the iPhone X. Purely subjective.

iOS only supports SBC and AAC Bluetooth audio codecs. S9 supports LDAC, which my Sony headphones support.

Battery life isn't as good on the S9 as on my iPhone, but it may improve after a few cycles.

I also don't like night mode / blue light filter on the S9 compared to the iPhone X and Pixel 2 XL. I like using the "basic" color profile on my S9 because it makes colors look spot on accurate. When night mode is activated it reverts back to the "adaptive" and super saturated color mode. Why Samsung can't fix this is beyond me, it's so annoying. The iPhone X and Pixel 2 XL don't have this issue.

I like that the S9 unlocks right to the home screen when I use the face unlock. With the iPhone X I still need to swipe up to get to the home screen.

Overall I like the S9 a lot. Probably more than the iPhone X, which I'll probably sell shortly. The Pixel 2 XL is just too much fun to get rid of, and I can easily swap my SIM between the S9 and Pixel anytime I want. When I want to swap between iPhone and Android, it usually requires a call to Verizon or a new SIM card.
    strikeIII, mustang7757 and SDTRMG like this.
    03-21-2018 11:16 AM
    Right!? Its so damn good. I used my points to run one of those accessory roulette games and actually won the Level Ons. I never win anything, so I'm litty AF.
    03-21-2018 06:47 PM
    Have an iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL, and bought a regular S9 on launch day. My name is Jonathan and I'm an addict...

The S9 is more comfortable in-hand than the iPhone X. It's lighter and just slightly narrower. iOS 11 isn't without lag, so the infrequent stutters on the S9 don't bother me at all. So much more customization vs. iPhone, love that. In terms of pure software experience and smoothness, the Pixel 2 XL blows both the iPhone X and S9 away. Not even close.

I find that the stereo speakers on the S9 w/ Atmos enabled sound fuller / richer than the iPhone X. Purely subjective.

iOS only supports SBC and AAC Bluetooth audio codecs. S9 supports LDAC, which my Sony headphones support.

Battery life isn't as good on the S9 as on my iPhone, but it may improve after a few cycles.

I also don't like night mode / blue light filter on the S9 compared to the iPhone X and Pixel 2 XL. I like using the "basic" color profile on my S9 because it makes colors look spot on accurate. When night mode is activated it reverts back to the "adaptive" and super saturated color mode. Why Samsung can't fix this is beyond me, it's so annoying. The iPhone X and Pixel 2 XL don't have this issue.

I like that the S9 unlocks right to the home screen when I use the face unlock. With the iPhone X I still need to swipe up to get to the home screen.

Overall I like the S9 a lot. Probably more than the iPhone X, which I'll probably sell shortly. The Pixel 2 XL is just too much fun to get rid of, and I can easily swap my SIM between the S9 and Pixel anytime I want. When I want to swap between iPhone and Android, it usually requires a call to Verizon or a new SIM card.
    The SIM is a carrier problem and really has nothing to do with the phones. I can easily swap my sim between my iPhone and my Huawei with no problems at all. Both work perfectly.
    03-21-2018 08:57 PM
    The SIM is a carrier problem and really has nothing to do with the phones. I can easily swap my sim between my iPhone and my Huawei with no problems at all. Both work perfectly.
    Yeah with AT&T you can swap between iOS and Android but service won't be fully optimized because they have specific plans for Apple devices. That's why when ever I swap to iOS I have to log into my Premier account and make sure the IMEI is updated as well as my plan. Android to Android devices are no problem.
    03-21-2018 09:12 PM

Hi I'm Steve , I'm a addict also 😁😂😂
    03-21-2018 09:21 PM
    Yeah with AT&T you can swap between iOS and Android but service won't be fully optimized because they have specific plans for Apple devices. That's why when ever I swap to iOS I have to log into my Premier account and make sure the IMEI is updated as well as my plan. Android to Android devices are no problem.
    Again, just as you said, that’s a carrier issue and has nothing to do with the phone. I can switch sims as I choose until the cows come home with no problems at all.
    03-22-2018 02:05 AM
    I have an X and an S9, I too am a little tired of iOS but mostly I really dislike the gestures on the X, some work some are just awkward, and as for the dead space under the keyboard, only keeping it to see how jailbreak pans out.

I have always had both platforms but would gravitate to iOS but not anymore
    03-22-2018 02:29 AM
    I love my iPhone X. I had an s9+ and returned it because I didn’t like the blue. As soon as they receive the phone and put my upgrade back I’ll buy a black one from Best Buy. I like android and iOS for different reasons. Neither is perfect for me and like another poster said I like change and get bored quickly.
    03-22-2018 02:36 AM
    I don't know. I can't from the iPhone X and like the size of the s9+ way more. I like the speakers better and the display more as well. Only thing to be decided for me is the camera.
    03-22-2018 07:05 AM
    I also noticed last night that on the S9 Amazon Music works in landscape mode and also displays information on the AOD when the phone is locked. On my iPhone neither of these happens.
    03-22-2018 08:37 AM
    I had the iPhone X and I definitely prefer the S9+ and Note 8. While I think the iPhone X is a nice phone with great performance, build quality, and materials I prefer the larger screens and flexibility of Samsung's flagships. It's nice being able to do more with a phone than change the wallpaper.
    manni1to and aggie like this.
    03-22-2018 08:45 AM
    s9 and iphone x here, the major difference is PRICE...iphone x is WAY too expensive. I would give the camera nod to the s9 but the iphone x is really close in all categories except low light conditions, s9 takes cleaner pics. Iphone x has slightly better battery life, faster in benchmarks but comparing real life usage i cannot tell the difference though i think the samsung browser is faster than safari . Based on a few days of usage, the s9 seems to get slightly better signal and hotspot speeds feel more reliable when tethering to my laptop
    03-22-2018 10:20 AM
    One rarely discussed feature is modem technology. Apple has gimped the Qualcomm modem in the iPhone X so that it performs equal to the Intel modem in the GSM models. No gigabit LTE on the $1000 iPhone X. I didn't think this was a big deal until I used the S9 at my high rise apartment where there is very weak Verizon signal. Also parts of downtown Chicago loop get crushed during rush hours. I don't know if it is due to the more advanced modem and / or 4-5x carrier aggregation, but the S9 smokes my iPhone X in speed tests. And I have the Qualcomm version of the iPhone.

At work with the iPhone I struggled to pull 5 Mb down around noon time. Just ran a test with the S9 and pulling 40 Mb down. At my apartment same thing, consistently pulling 30 Mb down when the iPhone jumps from 5 Mb to 20 Mb randomly. Could be a fluke, who knows, but 2 days straight of LTE speed testing the S9 just trounces the iPhone on Verizon *(where I am located)*.
    libra89 likes this.
    03-22-2018 11:22 AM
40 12