Video sent as attachment (to a text) becomes cropped

jeeperPhil

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi! My parents purchased an S9 & S9+ and for the most part (as best as they tell me), besides network and setup issues with AT&T, they've enjoyed the phones so far. Biggest thing they've questioned me about is when adding a video as an attachment, for example, in a text, the video becomes severely cropped on the sides. More specifically, they're currently visiting my sister and brother-in-law, and every video I've received of my nephew arrives in the Messages app with approximately 1/2" black borders along the sides. According to my Mom, the video is saved and looks fine in the Gallery. It's when the video is selected as an attachment in Messages that the sides of the video become cropped.

Their previous S7s never demonstrated this cropped behavior. In case you're wondering, I also had an S7, now a Note8 after my old S7's screen died and I decided to make the jump rather than wait for the S9. My old S7 also did not crop videos.

I've really appreciated reading and learning from this Community. Right now, I'm stumped and could really use your insight!

TL;DR: S9 & S9+, AT&T, videos save fine in Gallery, videos get cropped on the sides when adding as attachment in Messages.

Thank you!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have they tried using a different texting app? I wonder if the stock one is cropping the video to accommodate for texting file limits. Their best bet, however, is to share the video either through a cloud service like Photos or Dropbox or use Samsung's temporary file sharing (share menu, link file sharing... You can upload up. To. 2GB per day and data is expunged in 24 or 48 hours I believe... That way you can watch and save an uncompressed copy of the original video)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Use WhatsApp, or use the link sharing Samsung users have the ability to do, and they can send it to any carrier or phone that way.

See picture. That pops up everytime you select share. Text message will always compress and degrade videos and pictures
68ea6278ae934aa1fce7baebe0f52072.jpg

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Videos via text messaging will always be horrible. They'll need to use a third party like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and the like. Another texting app won't help much or very little. It's the limitation of MMS in general.

rdrive41071

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
As the poster above suggested - Just use Link share. Link Share is basically a link creator that allows you to send large files up to 2gb a day. It's already downloaded and featured in the s9 - So if you sent a large file to me for instance, I would just click the link and be sent to the video in its original format. You can use Link share through text, email, social media, - anywhere. Just remember when you are uploading the large file to your link - it's better to have a wifi connection for faster uploads, obviously.