Battery drops fast after taken off charger

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
So curious bc this is one of the first phones I've had this issue with. I notice once I take it off the charger even if I don't use it other then to turn off my alarm the battery drops quickly after it's removed from the charger. In fact before writing this it was already at 97% in less then a half hour without touching it. Is the battery still settling? I did a reset already and did it as a fresh start phone. Just curious if I got a bad phone or if I should maybe exchange it

Also the charger light is still red at the moment even tho it says it's charged 100% right now

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's defective. It's what's called the S9 series. It boasts Improvement of the camera being reimagined. They didn't say anything about the battery or other features. For the eight days that I owned my S9 plus I didn't notice any weird battery dropping though.

gazuga6176

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
samsung phones are not known for their standby time. that drop is a little extreme though. give it at least a week to settle in. if you are coming from iPhone, it will be jarring though. the standby on iOS is industry leading.

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
So curious bc this is one of the first phones I've had this issue with. I notice once I take it off the charger even if I don't use it other then to turn off my alarm the battery drops quickly after it's removed from the charger. In fact before writing this it was already at 97% in less then a half hour without touching it. Is the battery still settling? I did a reset already and did it as a fresh start phone. Just curious if I got a bad phone or if I should maybe exchange it

Also the charger light is still red at the moment even tho it says it's charged 100% right now

Yeah for me it drops FAST from 100-80, then it starts slowing down a lot
I consistently get 1 hour 10- 1 hour 20 minute SOT from 100-80.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's defective. It's what's called the S9 series. It boasts Improvement of the camera being reimagined. They didn't say anything about the battery or other features. For the eight days that I owned my S9 plus I didn't notice any weird battery dropping though.

Yeah battery is pretty average on this phone, most people would get around 8-18 hours of battery life with 4-6 hours SOT.

One thing to keep in mind is if you charge overnight it charges all the way to 100% and then it stops charging until is like 96% (if it drops too much it would automatically starts charging again) but keeping the gauge on the screen at 100% and suddenly dropping when you start using it but most likely it went from 98% to 97% but on the screen you saw 100% to 97%. If immediately after waking up you turn off the alarm, unplug it and plug it in again for about 10 minutes, you'll notice it takes a little longer to go fro 100% to 97%.

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
Okay I'll give it a little more time to settle I actually came from an LG G6 that battery was horrible but it would stay at 100% much longer so so far with this phone I've gotten a little over 4 hours of screen on time and with light to moderate use it's able to go up until probably 9 a.m. till probably midnight which is much better than my LG was getting after a year on that phone but I wasn't sure about the fast drop in the beginning...

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I have this problem as well. when I had my note 7 (my first andorid and Samsung phone) after switching from an iPhone for year, after I took it off the charger it would go down to 97-96% within 30 mins or less. I even returned the note 7 for another one, only to experience the same issue.

a couple of years later and now I'm back to a Samsung phone and still experiencing the same issue. it MUST be a Samsung problem because my other Android phone, Mate 9, did not have this draining issues.

anyone recommend a battery app to see what's causing the drain?

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I have this problem as well. when I had my note 7 (my first andorid and Samsung phone) after switching from an iPhone for year, after I took it off the charger it would go down to 97-96% within 30 mins or less. I even returned the note 7 for another one, only to experience the same issue.

a couple of years later and now I'm back to a Samsung phone and still experiencing the same issue. it MUST be a Samsung problem because my other Android phone, Mate 9, did not have this draining issues.

anyone recommend a battery app to see what's causing the drain?

did you read my post above? it's not real drain if it's only the first 4-5% dropping fast

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
did you read my post above? it's not real drain if it's only the first 4-5% dropping fast

Ah. Didn't read all of it. Thanks. I'll try that. Charge it up again after I wake up and see. It's just an unsettling site to see the battery drain so quickly right after taking it off the charger, even if it's not technically draining as you had mentioned.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Ah. Didn't read all of it. Thanks. I'll try that. Charge it up again after I wake up and see. It's just an unsettling site to see the battery drain so quickly right after taking it off the charger, even if it's not technically draining as you had mentioned.

yeah they do it so you don't wake up and see it at 97% and then return it saying it doesn't charge all the way up to 100% even after you left it overnight.

Samsung phones do have awful standby time and even worse with AOD so there are other phones that once the charge to 100% they do stay like that for a few hours if you don't use it so when you wake up they say 100% and they are at like 99%

Beth Hahn

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
Here's my usage so far today when I barely used the phone skimmed fb for like 10 mins off and on

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180322-144804_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180322-144804_Settings.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 46

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah battery is pretty average on this phone, most people would get around 8-18 hours of battery life with 4-6 hours SOT.

One thing to keep in mind is if you charge overnight it charges all the way to 100% and then it stops charging until is like 96% (if it drops too much it would automatically starts charging again) but keeping the gauge on the screen at 100% and suddenly dropping when you start using it but most likely it went from 98% to 97% but on the screen you saw 100% to 97%. If immediately after waking up you turn off the alarm, unplug it and plug it in again for about 10 minutes, you'll notice it takes a little longer to go fro 100% to 97%.
Excellent advice. Thanks.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I've always experienced this on Samsung phones. The first 10% of drain (100-90%) is always pretty quick to go. And in general, Samsung phones just aren't well known for their standby battery life. Even if you're "not doing anything" with the phone, the phone is still doing a lot.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I've always experienced this on Samsung phones. The first 10% of drain (100-90%) is always pretty quick to go. And in general, Samsung phones just aren't well known for their standby battery life. Even if you're "not doing anything" with the phone, the phone is still doing a lot.

Thank you for that info. So it is a Samsung issue and I just have to accept that fact.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I still can't get over how quickly the battery drains from 100%-90% in just 30 mins or so off the charger. Is this just a normal thing and I just have to learn to accept it? Are others seeing the same thing?

I just charge it up again after I take it off the charger after a few minutes so I at least leave the house to work in the morning with at least 99% battery.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I still can't get over how quickly the battery drains from 100%-90% in just 30 mins or so off the charger. Is this just a normal thing and I just have to learn to accept it? Are others seeing the same thing?

I just charge it up again after I take it off the charger after a few minutes so I at least leave the house to work in the morning with at least 99% battery.
I think this issue is common to some other smartphones. On my HTC10, the phone will drain quite fast from 100% to 80% not doing much at all, and then after 80% it drains at a much slower rate even if I use more CPU intensive apps.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
this is my routine now. take it off charger during the morning.. battery drains.. charge it back up before I leave for work.. battery does not drain as quickly second time around.