Decisions Decisions - Note8 & S9+

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
So I am a proud owner of a Note 8. I recently bought the S9+ because...well, I am just like that I guess LOL. I love to change phones, don't think I have had the same phone for more that 4 months. Money is not an issue, not because I am independently wealthy or something like that, but I rotate the $ in a tech fund I replenish through selling old devices on ebay. But enough about me..LOL. Wanted to give some thoughts on S9+ vs Note8 and dilemma I see:

Note8 Loves:
1. Love the pen, although I don't use it that often
2. Great screen. Vibrant, bright, big

Note8 Hates:
1. Battery life has really been marginal. I get anywhere from 2 to 3 SOT with 15 hours off charger.
2. Size - would love it to be a bit shorter. with case, tough in front pocket of jeans
3. Updates - still not happy about being on old OS

S9+ Loves:
1. Love the size. Even though it is on mm smaller, it just feels better. I know..sounds crazy.
2. Camera - definite improvement. SSlowMo is pretty cool...the 1.5 aperture is really nice in low light.
3. New OS. Really liking the refinement.
4. Battery life - so far, better than Note8. Getting about 4 to 5 SOT with 15 hours off charger.

S9+ Hates:
1. Had to set it up all over again LOL
2. Are the differences above really enough for me to shell out $1k for S9+?
3. Yes, thought about going to base S9, but fear that the much smaller size will be a huge downgrade.

So you can see the dilemma...if i was in market for new phone, I would go with S9+..hands down. Just not sure if it is worth spend the revolving Tech fund $ on this upgrade :)

Anyone else in the same first world problem dilemma?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I was and I switched from the note 8 to the S9 plus. Great choice. I think the phone is fantastic. Great camera and fluid as can be. Battery is amazing and is the best I have had in a very long time. But I cant stay still at all. I switch constantly. I love to use different devices.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note8, but got the S9, will say, battery life on s9 isnt great. But, the one thing I hate about my Note8 is the height of it. How much smaller does the S9+ feel?

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I just turned my Note 8 last Sunday. No regrets. S9+ is smaller and battery life is better. Screen size is about the same just in a smaller form factor and the Blue Coral is fire!

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I change phones frequently too. Have a Note 8 lying around but not using it much coz I am finding the S9+ to be a better overall package Easier to use due to size, better battery, better sound and slightly better camera.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I just got my S9+ Verizon variant yesterday and am a current owner of Note 8 as well. I echo your pros and cons, especially considering the size and feel of this phone. More importantly, I absolutely love the stereo speakers. That was the one thing that annoyed me about the Note as I would be constantly muffling the single speaker on that phone. The setup wasn't bad as I used SmartSwitch to backup and restore all my apps and settings from SD.

As to whether it was worth $1K to buy this full-price, I'm not sure. Will most likely return it and buy a new S9+ in a month when Best Buy offers a $300 off deal on the phone. Right now, they're already taking $150 off on the Verizon models.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I just turned my Note 8 last Sunday. No regrets. S9+ is smaller and battery life is better. Screen size is about the same just in a smaller form factor and the Blue Coral is fire!

I love the S9+ size (note 8 is indeed too tall for just a little bit) and I am keeping the phone but I also wanted to lie to myself about this but when I use the note again I do notice the difference in the screen lol, the note 8 screen is a little bigger if you align the screens at the botton, the note 8 top ends up a few mm above, also looks a little bigger because of the flatter screen (if they were both flat S9+ would be 1 mm narrower but because of the most pronounced edges it is 1.4 mm narrower) and less rounder corners

Attachments

• 32123.png
    32123.png
    109.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
So I am a proud owner of a Note 8. I recently bought the S9+ because...well, I am just like that I guess LOL. I love to change phones, don't think I have had the same phone for more that 4 months. Money is not an issue, not because I am independently wealthy or something like that, but I rotate the $ in a tech fund I replenish through selling old devices on ebay. But enough about me..LOL. Wanted to give some thoughts on S9+ vs Note8 and dilemma I see:

Note8 Loves:
1. Love the pen, although I don't use it that often
2. Great screen. Vibrant, bright, big

Note8 Hates:
1. Battery life has really been marginal. I get anywhere from 2 to 3 SOT with 15 hours off charger.
2. Size - would love it to be a bit shorter. with case, tough in front pocket of jeans
3. Updates - still not happy about being on old OS

S9+ Loves:
1. Love the size. Even though it is on mm smaller, it just feels better. I know..sounds crazy.
2. Camera - definite improvement. SSlowMo is pretty cool...the 1.5 aperture is really nice in low light.
3. New OS. Really liking the refinement.
4. Battery life - so far, better than Note8. Getting about 4 to 5 SOT with 15 hours off charger.

S9+ Hates:
1. Had to set it up all over again LOL
2. Are the differences above really enough for me to shell out $1k for S9+?
3. Yes, thought about going to base S9, but fear that the much smaller size will be a huge downgrade.

So you can see the dilemma...if i was in market for new phone, I would go with S9+..hands down. Just not sure if it is worth spend the revolving Tech fund $ on this upgrade :)

Anyone else in the same first world problem dilemma?
I have the Note 8 right now. Only reason Ireturned the S9Plus was because I needed the down payment back. Love both phones, really. The 9Plus is a really really nice size - a tad shorter like you had said you wished the Note 8 was. Love the camera, battery is good, very smooth running, and enjoyed the Oreo updates.

geraldem

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the Note8, but got the S9, will say, battery life on s9 isnt great. But, the one thing I hate about my Note8 is the height of it. How much smaller does the S9+ feel?

It really is marginal. but for some reason it feels much smaller. I think it is the weight diff too

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Well I got the Pixel 2 XL today. I turned it on and set it up. Played with it for a couple of hours. Then I realized how much I really like the S9 plus. So the Pixel will go back. Im keeping this device.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Well I got the Pixel 2 XL today. I turned it on and set it up. Played with it for a couple of hours. Then I realized how much I really like the S9 plus. So the Pixel will go back. Im keeping this device.

LOL I'm leaning the other way. Like the S9 Plus alot but, at least for me, the Pixel camera is so much nicer and I just like the feel of the software better. Wish the 2XL had the display and build that the S9+ had.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I bought and returned 2 Pixel 2XLs in the last couple of weeks. For me it was the headphone jack, SD card, and wireless charging that's keeping me with the Note 8 (and possibly the S9 Plus). Verizon has been great keeping up with the monthly security updates on the Note 8 so no worries there in all honesty (get them around 3 weeks after they're pushed out by Google). Now that the S9s are on Project Treble, perhaps the platform updates will be pushed out faster as well.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
A lot of news about the Note 9 has come out the last couple days. It's sounding like finger print sensor under the screen as well as being released a couple weeks earlier too! Greggles hinted at 8gb ram but I doubt that lol.

Anyway, overall with under screen finger print sensor and possibly shipping mid august instead of early sept, I'd say right now to hold off, at least until more leaked stuff comes out regarding the Note 9 before buying the s9 plus.

The Note 9 will probably be a lot better than the s9 plus and then you will kick yourself for buying the s9 plus.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I have both also. But my poor Note 8 just sits in a drawer now. Im really liking the stereo speakers and camera on my S9+. Its going to be a good trade in for the Note 9 though.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Add:
-dual aperture camera
-stereo speakers

I won’t count the SD845 as a key differentiator but the two listed are.
I agreed until using the device since launch. Noticeably faster than the 8+ 835 and is faster when when in power save mode. Emulators are a lot faster and less throttling. Dex Pad might actually be good with it.

BIG CAT 7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
That Blue Coral is major. Wish I had ordered that one.

I know it. I upgraded my wife's phone to the Lilac purple and while I was in there I couldn't stop looking at that Blue Coral. After a few days of waffling I was back in the store handing over my Note 8 and walking out with one. Very nice looking phone indeed.