Galaxy S9 can you set up fingerprints without having to set a secure screen lock?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I want to be able to use my fingerprints to log in on apps like banking, but I want to be able to keep "unsecure" swipe to unlock.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Don't have an S9, but my experience with this on my Note 8 is like this - I can set up the biometrics by choosing a secure lock first, and then switching back to unsecure swipe after - and retaining biometric data. After doing this, SOME apps will allow use of the biometrics (Samsung Pay, Web sites, etc..) but some do NOT work, telling me a secure device lock must be set to use biometrics with that app (Android pay, my Banking app, etc...). I expect the S9 will be the same - it will yield mixed results.

Last edited:

TGUNN1982

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Why even have a "Secure Folder". Seems redundant to make you use your bio-metrics to open the phone, then tap on secure folder only to have to use your bio-metrics again...Hopefully this we are missing something :(

Placebo19

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
Ok, that's awesome that the S8 could do it but for some reason on the S9 they took it away. I had a fingerprint saved and a secure screen lock as was required. I later got annoyed at always having to use my fingerprint to unlock my phone so I changed the lock to unsecure swipe which then erased all my fingerprint data. I still want to be able to use my fingerprint to login to certain apps.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
It was more of a security flaw that they finally fixed. To have fingerprint data stored on an unsecured device is not a good idea.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
It was more of a security flaw that they finally fixed. To have fingerprint data stored on an unsecured device is not a good idea.
The fingerprint data is password protected. If a password is considered good enough to "secure" your phone, why isn't it good enough to secure your fingerprints?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
On my S9 did a little checking, and the prompt says that you'll just have to register your biometrics again if you want to use an unsecure lockscreen with fingerprints.

NVM. Doesn't work

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The fingerprint data is password protected. If a password is considered good enough to "secure" your phone, why isn't it good enough to secure your fingerprints?
No when you take off security off the device you lose security to the main file system. Leaving fingerprint data more vulnerable even tho you still need a password to access them it makes that password easier to crack. That's why certain security methods are stronger than others because it creates an encryption algorithm based on the type of security your choose. Turn it off you turn off encryption.

Placebo19

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
No when you take off security off the device you lose security to the main file system. Leaving fingerprint data more vulnerable even tho you still need a password to access them it makes that password easier to crack. That's why certain security methods are stronger than others because it creates an encryption algorithm based on the type of security your choose. Turn it off you turn off encryption.

Ok fine, then require fingerprints and/or password to get into the secure locations or to change the security methods, just don't make me have to use it to unlock my phone. It's just getting tedious.

loriss16

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
I can't seem to find how to just use my fingerprint instead of first having to input a screen unlock code or pin on my s8+. can i just set up the phone to unlock with my fingerprint?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma