08-08-2018 07:52 AM
54 123
tools
    I am/was at the brink of buying a S9 plus, but reading about the muffled sound problem is making me hessistand. There are 2 threads about this issue. One with a lot of people saying speaker works OK, and this one with a lot of people with the speaker problem. It seems not an easy problem to be dissolved. I need to think this over and hope there will be an official answer about this issue before/if I buy the S9 plus.
    Well do you talk on speaker phone often? I hardly ever do unless absolutely no one else is around so it's basically a non issue for me.... Unfortunately my wife likes to use it so I do know the issue very well and yes it's been constant over the last few generations of Galaxy phones
    not all galaxy's have this problem. i've had 5 since the galaxy s2 and none of them had any issues with the speaker phone
    You wouldn't actually know if YOU had the problem unless someone actually complained to you...
    milehigherik likes this.
    05-04-2018 01:45 AM
    My husband and I both have the same issue (S9 and S9+ respectively), and it's REALLY annoying because we use speaker phone 90+% of the time (car, 3 kids at home). They're both brand new, T-Mobile, not unlocked if that matters. Sounds like the person on the other end is distantly under water, and gets worse as the conversation goes on so that it becomes almost 100% of the time. It's often ok for the first few minutes, but not always. We just upgraded from our S7 phones that we had zero issue with, using them in the same way. Anyone figure anything out yet?
    Mmassey71 likes this.
    05-08-2018 01:20 PM
    I didn't have the problem on my S5 but did have it on my S7. I don't have the problem with my S9+. Called Verizon (talk to a supervisor if you have to). She made some changes or resets to my phone on their end and had me turn off HD. It worked. Several months and a few updates later, I tried HD again and was able to use it and not have the speaker phone issue. I know this is vague but I can't recall the details.
    05-08-2018 02:16 PM
    I always use speakerphone so unless I read about a solution I should thank you for convincing me not to buy an s9+. Sounds like they all have this issue as well as black crush or even banding.
    05-08-2018 02:17 PM
    I always use speakerphone so unless I read about a solution I should thank you for convincing me not to buy an s9+. Sounds like they all have this issue as well as black crush or even banding.
    Not all phones have this issue. Mine doesn't.
    If all phones had these issues samsung would have gone bust by now.
    monicakm likes this.
    05-08-2018 02:35 PM
    Do you use speakerphone regularly? Sounds like a lot do.
    05-08-2018 02:36 PM
    Do you use speakerphone regularly? Sounds like a lot do.
    I don't use it every day but when I do use it it sounds ok.
    If the sound quality suddenly changes in the middle of the conversation or if it gets worse during the conversation I would say there is something to do with the radio signal strength or quality.
    But if the sound quality is bad from the start, every single time all the time then it must be something to do with the phone.
    05-08-2018 03:43 PM
    or even if it changes something wrong. i disagree about sig strength
    05-08-2018 04:13 PM
    I don't have the problem either. If you really want the S9(+), get it and see how it works. You've got 14 days to decide if it's going to work for you.
    queenren likes this.
    05-08-2018 04:19 PM
    I have found that my speakerphone works well if HD calling is disabled but as soon as I enable it, the speakerphone is useless. I can hear the other caller fine but they cannot hear me. Everything works fine in HD when not using speakerphone. The speakerphone also works fine when HD calling is turned off and the other caller can hear me well. Is there any reason why the speakerphone cannot be used with HD calling enabled? Mine is a Verizon branded S9 on Verizon's network.
    recDNA likes this.
    05-09-2018 07:49 PM
    HD calling only works between phones and I usually speak to landlines so no big deal for me to shut it off if I buy an S9. Does that work for others?
    05-09-2018 09:39 PM
    I can't find HD calling to turn it off. Is it a carrier thing? I have At&t
    05-12-2018 11:02 AM
    I can confirm as well. The speakerphone physically sounds nice on my end-- Meaning I can hear the person I am calling very clearly. They report to me, however, that I sound like I am underwater. I have the unlocked US variant on Verizon. I actually downloaded a call recorder (boldbeast), and I was able to listen to what I sound like on the other end...

It sounds like the phone is trying to do a software noise cancellation on the handset microphones, and is having a hard time deciding which noises or frequencies to cancel. It takes the high frequency ranges out of my voice for a second or two, then puts them back and takes out some mids, and alternates between those two "settings" or modes.

To me, because I can hear myself clearly at some points in the call when listening to the recording, it makes me think that the microphone and handset are physically fine.. and that it is just a poor software configuration-- specifically the noise cancellation.

Maybe some people in this thread could perform the same experiment with a call recorder and see how it works for them?
    05-12-2018 03:21 PM
    I can confirm as well. The speakerphone physically sounds nice on my end-- Meaning I can hear the person I am calling very clearly. They report to me, however, that I sound like I am underwater. I have the unlocked US variant on Verizon. I actually downloaded a call recorder (boldbeast), and I was able to listen to what I sound like on the other end...

It sounds like the phone is trying to do a software noise cancellation on the handset microphones, and is having a hard time deciding which noises or frequencies to cancel. It takes the high frequency ranges out of my voice for a second or two, then puts them back and takes out some mids, and alternates between those two "settings" or modes.

To me, because I can hear myself clearly at some points in the call when listening to the recording, it makes me think that the microphone and handset are physically fine.. and that it is just a poor software configuration-- specifically the noise cancellation.

Maybe some people in this thread could perform the same experiment with a call recorder and see how it works for them?
    Same happened to me. I turned off HD calling and now everyone can hear me clearly.
    05-14-2018 08:04 AM
    Yes, I'm having this same issue. My husband tells me that whenever I talk to him through speaker phone the sound is real muffled. Is there a fix for this issue?
    05-28-2018 06:39 PM
    My husband and I both have the same issue (S9 and S9+ respectively), and it's REALLY annoying because we use speaker phone 90+% of the time (car, 3 kids at home). They're both brand new, T-Mobile, not unlocked if that matters. Sounds like the person on the other end is distantly under water, and gets worse as the conversation goes on so that it becomes almost 100% of the time. It's often ok for the first few minutes, but not always. We just upgraded from our S7 phones that we had zero issue with, using them in the same way. Anyone figure anything out yet?
    Yep I'm having this issue with my S9. My husband hates for me to talk to him using speaker phone because he can't understand what I'm saying most of the time.
    05-28-2018 06:45 PM
    My wife and I purchased two of the S9+ and we both experience the speaker phone issue. It is discouraging to be experiencing a problem that others have reported existed on their last generation Samsung as well, what does that say for the hopes of seeing a fix? I'm new to Samsung and so is my wife, she's new to Android infact, I came from a Pixel. So far I've experienced more technical issues with this big beautiful phone than I care to admit, total lockups, app crashes, etc, that I'm having a hard time not getting frustrated.

The thing is, at the core of everything this thing does, being a phone is still it's primary function so I expect it to do it very well. Speaker phone is a super basic function and in a $850+ phone (heck in a $50 phone) I expect it to work. We use it all the time (or should say used to) and now we just can't use it. It literally sounds like the person on the other end has two bags wrapped around their head, is standing behind glass and trying to talk threw it, absolutely unintelligible.

Things I miss about my Pixel:
    OS stability and regular updates, it never locked up (this does maybe twice a month requiring hard reboot)

Speakerpone worked.

Autocorrect/Predictive text on stock keyboard actually worked (this one corrects real words to nonsense).

Camera could take pictures of moving objects (this one is amazing but even the slightest movemdnt results in a blur)

Google Assistant baked in and seemingly more reliable to voice commands (Bixby sucks! I mean better than Siri but not a tall bar).

Built-in Visual Voicemail on the Phone app. (Have to use Verizon's app)

Admittedly my list of things I like better about this phone is larger than my list of cons but technical issues seriously erk me.

Thank you Samsung for not killing the headphone jack, it's the primary reason you won me over, now just fix my short list and this love affair can continue for generations.
    skiddingus likes this.
    06-05-2018 09:55 PM
    So the only "fix" I've come across is to knock your phone back down to 2G but of course you'll also be killing all of your internet speed...
    06-06-2018 01:41 AM
    This is obviously a problem, the wife and I have the S9+ and S9 and have this problem...surely Samsung has employees that read this...and they are on it....however, I've also come to realize that what should be, they don't....common sense.
    06-06-2018 07:18 AM
    Same problem. Not just with speakerphone, but also just every day calling: without speakerphone and using a mic'd headphones. The person on the other end can not hear me properly. Can we please get this problem bumped up to someone in Samsung?! Is this the case with most Samsung phones?? I deliberately switched from iPhone for the operating system.... and now the main function for a phone AKA calling is now rendered useless.
    06-12-2018 11:11 AM
    I am glad I found this thread. I thought it was just me but I was with Verizon and had the issue with my S8+ that I purchased unlocked from Samsung and went to T-Mobile, still same issue. I was told it was the case so I drilled the holes to make them bigger, still same issue. I then purchase S9+ hoping it will be fixed and no go, still same issue. people on the other end either cant hear me or they say I am muffled. I finally get fed up and plugin in my Samsung earphones and then it works fine. I have no problem hearing them, its them hearing me and no case mods or hardware resets will fix the issue. I have a warranty through Samsung still but I don't want a refurbished or phone that had to be worked on, so I am kinda stuck as I know the phone they send back will be used or taken apart.
    06-27-2018 02:00 PM
    Just bought my S9 can only hear caller if turn I on the speaker. Very frustrated. Most callers say I am muffled.
    06-27-2018 05:50 PM
    Just bought my S9 can only hear caller if turn I on the speaker. Very frustrated. Most callers say I am muffled.
    Any luck, other than degrading our quality from LTE to 3G?

Seems a pretty crappy fix.
    07-17-2018 10:02 AM
    Try disabling volte calls in settings, connections, mobile networks
    07-26-2018 04:05 AM
    When I use the speakerphone the other person hears me muffled. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. I noticed that of I hold the phone up or if I use it during the call, it won't act up as much.
    Try turning off noise cancelation.
    07-28-2018 03:24 AM
54 123