Samsung Galaxy s9 speaker phone is muffled

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

Rosannbulger

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Well all galaxy's have the same problem with there speaker phones.i had the 7 and it did the same thing..I have the 9 s plus
..same thing... people can't hear me or it's muffled. So I did a little investigating I bought an iPhone 8 plus and it didn't do it you can hear it clearly people can hear you clearly on the speakerphone. Then I had an LG and even the LG you can hear clearly they can hear you clearly on the speakerphone. So Samsung Galaxy phones and speakerphone have problems they need to fix it other than that it works fine. I've called Samsung up and they have no clue they have all these people answering phones and they don't even know half the stuff that's going on.

ladyXXX

May 3, 2018
Visit site
I am/was at the brink of buying a S9 plus, but reading about the muffled sound problem is making me hessistand. There are 2 threads about this issue. One with a lot of people saying speaker works OK, and this one with a lot of people with the speaker problem. It seems not an easy problem to be dissolved. I need to think this over and hope there will be an official answer about this issue before/if I buy the S9 plus.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Well all galaxy's have the same problem with there speaker phones.i had the 7 and it did the same thing..I have the 9 s plus
..same thing... people can't hear me or it's muffled. So I did a little investigating I bought an iPhone 8 plus and it didn't do it you can hear it clearly people can hear you clearly on the speakerphone. Then I had an LG and even the LG you can hear clearly they can hear you clearly on the speakerphone. So Samsung Galaxy phones and speakerphone have problems they need to fix it other than that it works fine. I've called Samsung up and they have no clue they have all these people answering phones and they don't even know half the stuff that's going on.

not all galaxy's have this problem. i've had 5 since the galaxy s2 and none of them had any issues with the speaker phone

dew066

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
mine has the same problem but it appears intermittent. hopefully this can be fixed with a software update.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I am/was at the brink of buying a S9 plus, but reading about the muffled sound problem is making me hessistand. There are 2 threads about this issue. One with a lot of people saying speaker works OK, and this one with a lot of people with the speaker problem. It seems not an easy problem to be dissolved. I need to think this over and hope there will be an official answer about this issue before/if I buy the S9 plus.
Well do you talk on speaker phone often? I hardly ever do unless absolutely no one else is around so it's basically a non issue for me.... Unfortunately my wife likes to use it so I do know the issue very well and yes it's been constant over the last few generations of Galaxy phones
not all galaxy's have this problem. i've had 5 since the galaxy s2 and none of them had any issues with the speaker phone

You wouldn't actually know if YOU had the problem unless someone actually complained to you...

Hvonbiela

May 8, 2018
Visit site
My husband and I both have the same issue (S9 and S9+ respectively), and it's REALLY annoying because we use speaker phone 90+% of the time (car, 3 kids at home). They're both brand new, T-Mobile, not unlocked if that matters. Sounds like the person on the other end is distantly under water, and gets worse as the conversation goes on so that it becomes almost 100% of the time. It's often ok for the first few minutes, but not always. We just upgraded from our S7 phones that we had zero issue with, using them in the same way. Anyone figure anything out yet?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have the problem on my S5 but did have it on my S7. I don't have the problem with my S9+. Called Verizon (talk to a supervisor if you have to). She made some changes or resets to my phone on their end and had me turn off HD. It worked. Several months and a few updates later, I tried HD again and was able to use it and not have the speaker phone issue. I know this is vague but I can't recall the details.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I always use speakerphone so unless I read about a solution I should thank you for convincing me not to buy an s9+. Sounds like they all have this issue as well as black crush or even banding.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I always use speakerphone so unless I read about a solution I should thank you for convincing me not to buy an s9+. Sounds like they all have this issue as well as black crush or even banding.
Not all phones have this issue. Mine doesn't.
If all phones had these issues samsung would have gone bust by now.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Do you use speakerphone regularly? Sounds like a lot do.
I don't use it every day but when I do use it it sounds ok.
If the sound quality suddenly changes in the middle of the conversation or if it gets worse during the conversation I would say there is something to do with the radio signal strength or quality.
But if the sound quality is bad from the start, every single time all the time then it must be something to do with the phone.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have found that my speakerphone works well if HD calling is disabled but as soon as I enable it, the speakerphone is useless. I can hear the other caller fine but they cannot hear me. Everything works fine in HD when not using speakerphone. The speakerphone also works fine when HD calling is turned off and the other caller can hear me well. Is there any reason why the speakerphone cannot be used with HD calling enabled? Mine is a Verizon branded S9 on Verizon's network.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
HD calling only works between phones and I usually speak to landlines so no big deal for me to shut it off if I buy an S9. Does that work for others?

Cheno1115

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm as well. The speakerphone physically sounds nice on my end-- Meaning I can hear the person I am calling very clearly. They report to me, however, that I sound like I am underwater. I have the unlocked US variant on Verizon. I actually downloaded a call recorder (boldbeast), and I was able to listen to what I sound like on the other end...

It sounds like the phone is trying to do a software noise cancellation on the handset microphones, and is having a hard time deciding which noises or frequencies to cancel. It takes the high frequency ranges out of my voice for a second or two, then puts them back and takes out some mids, and alternates between those two "settings" or modes.

To me, because I can hear myself clearly at some points in the call when listening to the recording, it makes me think that the microphone and handset are physically fine.. and that it is just a poor software configuration-- specifically the noise cancellation.

Maybe some people in this thread could perform the same experiment with a call recorder and see how it works for them?

lmandl

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm as well. The speakerphone physically sounds nice on my end-- Meaning I can hear the person I am calling very clearly. They report to me, however, that I sound like I am underwater. I have the unlocked US variant on Verizon. I actually downloaded a call recorder (boldbeast), and I was able to listen to what I sound like on the other end...

It sounds like the phone is trying to do a software noise cancellation on the handset microphones, and is having a hard time deciding which noises or frequencies to cancel. It takes the high frequency ranges out of my voice for a second or two, then puts them back and takes out some mids, and alternates between those two "settings" or modes.

To me, because I can hear myself clearly at some points in the call when listening to the recording, it makes me think that the microphone and handset are physically fine.. and that it is just a poor software configuration-- specifically the noise cancellation.

Maybe some people in this thread could perform the same experiment with a call recorder and see how it works for them?
Same happened to me. I turned off HD calling and now everyone can hear me clearly.

Mmassey71

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I'm having this same issue. My husband tells me that whenever I talk to him through speaker phone the sound is real muffled. Is there a fix for this issue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers