Whatsapp problem

JaneGI

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.. Wonder if anyone can help.. My hubby just got the S9+... He totally loves it... And its a big deal... Cause he is an apple fan.. Had apple for the last couple of years... So I'm over the moon he adores the phone

But... On ios. In whatsapp... You have a setting to download your whatsapps images... But it doesn't save in your gallery.... How come you can't do this on Android... You can basically do anything you want on the phone... Except that one little thing that is totally almost a deal breaker for him.... I don't want this one little thing in whatsapp take away from him loving this phone.... Can anyone help,??

I don't want pics received in whatsapp to save in gallery??? They can download... Just NOT save... Heeeelllpppp

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
what happens if you delete the WhatsApp folder in gallery album view? First make sure there's nothing important in case it deletes his photos.

Alternative is to use Google photos app and tell it to ignore the WhatsApp folder. I rarely, if ever, use the Gallery app.

JaneGI

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.. Will have to tell him to try the Google photos then.. He doesn't want to go through all the trouble of going through the folder... Seeing if there is anything worthy of saving and then deleting all the pics... Full of crap... I know... But Im trying to find him a solution... Cause I want him to love the Phone and Android 100%... Coming from Apple and me trying to convince him for years to switch to Samsung and Android

Michael_Archangel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
Ok, so to explain one thing: whether on iOS or Android, all WhatsApp pics ARE saved onto your phone. That's why you are able to still view them while you're offline. The difference is this:

-On iOS, the pictures will be saved on the iPhone in a different folder invisible in your Gallery / Camera Roll. In fact, within the WhatsApp app, under each conversation you can view all the photos ever posted in that conversation. This is why if you look under the space usage in settings, over time WhatsApp will be using more and more storage space unless you clear them all individually. And if you want to actually save them, then you have to manually save them to your Camera Roll so you can then view them in your Gallery, hence duplicating the photos from the hidden folder into your Camera Roll (because the Gallery only shows you the Camera Roll).

-On Android, it's basically the same, except that by default the Gallery App allows you to see not just your Camera Roll, but other folders too. So that folder which is invisible by default on iOS, is visible by default in Android. I actually find that pretty useful, because it means keeping this folder clean and tidy is a lot quicker and easier than on iOS to keep the storage space down on your phone, as you can delete all the files altogether at once. And it also means if you do want to keep an image, you don't have to duplicate it into your Camera Roll. However, you can choose to hide this folder, just like on iOS, even without using Google Photos. In the Gallery app, tap the 3 dots menu on the top right, and you have an option to Hide or Unhide Albums. If you hide the WhatsApp Images album, the behaviour will be exactly as per iOS: the photos will technically still be there but invisible in the Gallery. Hope this helps.

Michael_Archangel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
No media file is the old clunky way of doing things, before the Samsung Gallery app allowed you to hide albums. If you're running the latest version of the Gallery app from the Samsung store you should just be able to go to the menu to hide the album, and voila. Much quicker than creating and dropping a nomedia file on your phone.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
No media file is the old clunky way of doing things, before the Samsung Gallery app allowed you to hide albums. If you're running the latest version of the Gallery app from the Samsung store you should just be able to go to the menu to hide the album, and voila. Much quicker than creating and dropping a nomedia file on your phone.

Yes this is better. I previously didn't see the hide option.

Open Gallery

Click Albums (near top)

Tap three dots in upper right and click hide/unhide

Choose the albums to hide

JaneGI

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys... I knew if anyone could help it would be this forum... He hid the album and is happy with it... I guess he would have to go in every now and again... Just unhide it and delete the content hey.... Otherwise it would get very big and take up space

Michael_Archangel

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
Thanks guys... I knew if anyone could help it would be this forum... He hid the album and is happy with it... I guess he would have to go in every now and again... Just unhide it and delete the content hey.... Otherwise it would get very big and take up space

Indeed, but that's exactly what the iPhone does as well: you have a hidden folder that gets very big and takes up space over time, except on the iPhone there is no way to unhide that folder to delete the content...

JaneGI

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Wow.. Never knew that. Don't think the iPhone users know this as well... Just another piece of ammo on my next android is better than Apple debate... Hehehehe... Thanks guys

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Photo content can be deleted inside Whatsapp.

Open conversion

Click three dots in upper right

Select Media

Any media saved can be deleted. Simply long press the item.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital