How Does the Pixel 2 XL Display Compare to S9+ and Talk Me Into the S9+

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I made a mistake in choosing the Pixel 2XL. I'm having terrible noise in my low light pictures. The phone has to be in a warm environment to achieve fast charging. Yes, it's a thing and it still doesn't charge as fast as my S7 under ideal conditions..apparently 65 degrees is too cold for it's sensitive self. NO camera settings :eek: Since Verizon has no deals that I can take advantage of right now, I either have to exchange the Pixel and hope that the noise issue was a faulty camera OR return the phone and wait for a new special.

So, I'm gathering some info for the possible S9+ purchase. How does the display compare to the Pixel 2 XL? I'm thinking probably better. Has Samsung's removal of bloatware been enough to make a difference? How's the battery life? The Pixel's is excellent but it's new and it's stock Android. I've seen several camera comparisons. I tend to lean towards the S9+ in most cases but lean to the Pixel's dynamic range and highlights. The Pixel does have voice command camera shutter (I only found it by Googling). You have to say "hey Google, take a picture" and there is a 3 second count down (sigh).

I need to be convinced that it's worth it to return the Pixel 2XL and wait for a sale on the 9+. OTOH, if you don't think it is, convince me to keep the Pixel :) I've had the Galaxy 4-7. Big fan except for the bloatware. I like the Pro camera mode but if the Pixel doesn't NEED a pro mode, that's cool.

This is soooo confusing! Camera is #1 priority. Google is supposed to take the best pictures while the S9+ has the better/best camera features.

The s9 screen is marginally better. Camerota on my pixel is better imo. Sounds like you just got a buggy unit. Have you tried a factory reset? Also it seems like the biggest android phones are ones restored from a backup. It sounds like 100% of the reason you're thinking of swapping to an s9 could be completely solved by exchanging phones. I'd exchange for another pixel first.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I've decided to return the Pixel. Even if a new one took care of the low light noise issue, now I'm hearing a horrible static noise that comes and goes during a video. Plus, I'm just missing the Samsung experience! Every day I think of something that I used/liked and the Pixel doesn't offer. I don't feel excited about the Pixel. That tells me I need to return it.

Then you're lucky u got a buggy unit that made you reconsider. Most of us have a brand we're loyal to to a point. I just like shiny new phones lol.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm really starting to think that there must be a problem with some S9+'s. Kind of like the Pixel 2XL screen issues. Some pictures seem like they are bad and yet some look amazing. So like the screens where some are really bad and some not so bad.

Sure, there can be some issues with some S9s and not others, just as there are problems with some Fords and not others or some Kitchen Aid ovens and not others. AND not all picture takers are the same ;)
My husband has now decided my S7 isn't good enough and wants a S9+ of his own LOL

waveuk

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm really starting to think that there must be a problem with some S9+'s. Kind of like the Pixel 2XL screen issues. Some pictures seem like they are bad and yet some look amazing. So like the screens where some are really bad and some not so bad.
Or the differences are due to who and how takes the photos.

I think some of the issues people are having are due to the low aperture and deep of field generated. I found the autofocus to move quickly so in many times not focussing where I wanted.

I am now fixing the focus (press and hold for a bit) and getting very good results.

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I think I'd exchange the Pixel 2XL and see if that solves the problem while you wait for a deal on the S9. I looked at both in Best Buy before buying the Pixel a couple weeks ago. I personally can't do the curved screen and when I looked at the apps on the unlocked S9+ it had close to 100 more apps than the Pixel 2. I just can't do the bloat anymore.

100 more apps Theot :eek:

I have the S9 and have been pleased.
Display & speakers are awesome, camera & battery are good and it does what I need and more fast & very stylishly. I haven't had any issues at all, fingers crossed lol. Was thinking about waiting to check out the HTC U12+ but am glad with me choice.

Samsung definitely has bloatware especially with At&t which I have but its definitely gotten so much better. I've been able to delete instead of just disable many pre installed apps that I couldn't before... Mostly At&t apps(At&t protech, locker, protect plus for example) some Samsung(Samsung+, Smart things, etc) surprisingly and half the Google(Music, Photo, etc) ones I don't use. Only duplicate ones I have are Samsung internet & Chrome + Google & Samsung Pay cause I use both & I kept Gmail even though I use the Samsung email app.

I've just put the ones to sleep that I can't delete since there aren't nearly as many. I just counted how many apps I've now got and & am at 84(had to recount since there are around 20 more not in the app drawer in settings)- about half I've installed myself. I'm not a huge app guy & try to keep it simple but it's still high for all the Android purists I'd guess but I'm extremely happy with it since I use many that are pre installed like Samsung Pay, Google Maps, Audible, DirecTV & of course messages, contacts, calculator etc...

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Display & speakers are awesome, camera & battery are good and it does what I need and more fast & very stylishly. I haven't had any issues at all, fingers crossed lol. Was thinking about waiting to check out the HTC U12+ but am glad with me choice.

Samsung definitely has bloatware especially with At&t which I have but its definitely gotten so much better. I've been able to delete instead of just disable many pre installed apps that I couldn't before... Mostly At&t apps(At&t protech, locker, protect plus for example) some Samsung(Samsung+, Smart things, etc) surprisingly and half the Google(Music, Photo, etc) ones I don't use. Only duplicate ones I have are Samsung internet & Chrome + Google & Samsung Pay cause I use both & I kept Gmail even though I use the Samsung email app.

I've just put the ones to sleep that I can't delete since there aren't nearly as many. I just counted how many apps I've now got and & am at 84(had to recount since there are around 20 more not in the app drawer in settings)- about half I've installed myself. I'm not a huge app guy & try to keep it simple but it's still high for all the Android purists I'd guess but I'm extremely happy with it since I use many that are pre installed like Samsung Pay, Google Maps, Audible, DirecTV & of course messages, contacts, calculator etc...
I counted into the 80's at the store and said screw it. So ok not 100 but it was a lot. Sorry for the exaggeration ;)

I'm not an Android purist by any means, there are things that I miss on my pixel 2 that I had on past Samsung and LG phones but then there was all the other stuff that came with it that always seemed to get in the way.

I'm glad you are happy with your S9, sounds like you've got it trimmed right down how you like it. I'm curious to see how it will be in a few months but I hope it's still running well. There's a part of me that still wants one but I'm really trying not to give into that urge.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

Chuck_IV

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I know under test conditions the S9+ looks awesome, however slightly concerned about this sort of thing: https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...s-black-crush-gradient-banding-issues-12.html which is an issue not shared by the X. I see your point though.

It is a bit strange with this Black Crush thing. It doesn't seem to affect everyone as I certainly don't see it on mine(I have an S9+) but some of those screen shots do look bad. I dunno if this is a Exynos vs Snapdragon thing or something else.

As for the iPhone X's screen being better than the S9+, I disagree. I had the iPhone X for a week before returning it for the S9+ and I think the S9+ looks better. Even my daughter, who does have an iPhone X, begrudgingly likes my screen a little better.

The other thing I am starting to like with the S9+ is Samsung Pay. I had an iPhone for the last 3 years and used Apple pay maybe 10 times total. With the S9+ having the extra chip that simulates swiping your card AND Samsung giving you points, so you have an incentive to use it, I've been using it like crazy. I actually find it quite useful.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
As for the iPhone X's screen being better than the S9+, I disagree. I had the iPhone X for a week before returning it for the S9+ and I think the S9+ looks better. Even my daughter, who does have an iPhone X, begrudgingly likes my screen a little better.

No problem, we're talking about two different things.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Only problem with the X screen is that it's either cut into by a notch, or covered up by apps you can't arrange the way you'd like.

I'd give the edge to Samsung here
I had 2 iPhone Xes and can attest that, as we all know, they're stellar devices. That said, so are the S8/S8+/Note8/S9/9+. I can say I easily like the Samsung devices better. They're so...complete...for lack of a better word. The displays are great, the performance is great, the cameras are great, the ecosystem is great, the customization via Android and Samsung's themes is great, Samsung Pay is great, the SD card slot is great, the 3.5mm headphone jack is great.... The list is long. Samsung's devices have evolved wonderfully. It's good to see they're hungry to make stellar products. It's getting harder and harder to be an iPhone Sheep. If only Google/Samsung could overcome iMessage.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had 2 iPhone Xes and can attest that, as we all know, they're stellar devices. That said, so are the S8/S8+/Note8/S9/9+. I can say I easily like the Samsung devices better. They're so...complete...for lack of a better word. The displays are great, the performance is great, the cameras are great, the ecosystem is great, the customization via Android and Samsung's themes is great, Samsung Pay is great, the SD card slot is great, the 3.5mm headphone jack is great.... The list is long. Samsung's devices have evolved wonderfully. It's good to see they're hungry to make stellar products. It's getting harder and harder to be an iPhone Sheep. If only Google/Samsung could overcome iMessage.

If Google/Samsung figure imessages and facetime ..that's a game changer

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site

100 more apps is exaggerated. I bought an unlocked s9 and I'd say 10-20 Max. They can always be removed or placed in their own folder together.

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
100 more apps is exaggerated. I bought an unlocked s9 and I'd say 10-20 Max. They can always be removed or placed in their own folder together.

Yeah Theot was definitely exaggerating, I was just messing around lol...
Unlocked probably closer to the 20 range but At&t loads em' up! I got it down to about what the unlocked versions carry - differing a bit since I do use some of the pre installed apps & deleted some Samsung ones. For the S6 & S7 I couldn't delete alot of the apps that I can now & it seemed like there were more... or maybe it just seemed that way since it was 32GB storage idk

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Yeah Theot was definitely exaggerating, I was just messing around lol...
Unlocked probably closer to the 20 range but At&t loads em' up! I got it down to about what the unlocked versions carry - differing a bit since I do use some of the pre installed apps & deleted some Samsung ones. For the S6 & S7 I couldn't delete alot of the apps that I can now & it seemed like there were more... or maybe it just seemed that way since it was 32GB storage idk

I think the Samsung apps are actually pretty good! I don't get what the big deal is. Samsung pay is incredibly better than Android pay in every way and the themes we have access to are convenient and great.

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I think the Samsung apps are actually pretty good! I don't get what the big deal is. Samsung pay is incredibly better than Android pay in every way and the themes we have access to are convenient and great.

I agree... for the many I use are great. Still if I'm not gonna use an app or it's not effecting the OS I have no need for it & like to be able to delete it. Goes for At&t & Google apps as well.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
If Google/Samsung figure imessages and facetime ..that's a game changer
Indeed. They need to build a messaging/video app that has the features of iMessage/FaceTime, works natively across all Android devices yet can be downloaded to iOS devices.

Such functionality might just wake Steve Jobs from the dead scream'n "Ah h*lL no!"

new2tec

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
So I had the Pixel 2 XL before getting the S9 plus. I switched mainly because I am addicted to getting new phones.

There are things I like about both phones. I like the pixel dynamic range better than the S9 but for that I just downloaded the Pixel camera apk. Now I have similar dynamic range for selfies. I missed the squeeze side to launch Google search. For that I found an app in the play store that works pretty good.
Which two apps did you download?