04-17-2018 11:00 PM
70 123
tools
    I'm pretty sure I made a mistake in choosing the Pixel 2XL. I'm having terrible noise in my low light pictures. The phone has to be in a warm environment to achieve fast charging. Yes, it's a thing and it still doesn't charge as fast as my S7 under ideal conditions..apparently 65 degrees is too cold for it's sensitive self. NO camera settings :o Since Verizon has no deals that I can take advantage of right now, I either have to exchange the Pixel and hope that the noise issue was a faulty camera OR return the phone and wait for a new special.

So, I'm gathering some info for the possible S9+ purchase. How does the display compare to the Pixel 2 XL? I'm thinking probably better. Has Samsung's removal of bloatware been enough to make a difference? How's the battery life? The Pixel's is excellent but it's new and it's stock Android. I've seen several camera comparisons. I tend to lean towards the S9+ in most cases but lean to the Pixel's dynamic range and highlights. The Pixel does have voice command camera shutter (I only found it by Googling). You have to say "hey Google, take a picture" and there is a 3 second count down (sigh).

I need to be convinced that it's worth it to return the Pixel 2XL and wait for a sale on the 9+. OTOH, if you don't think it is, convince me to keep the Pixel I've had the Galaxy 4-7. Big fan except for the bloatware. I like the Pro camera mode but if the Pixel doesn't NEED a pro mode, that's cool.

This is soooo confusing! Camera is #1 priority. Google is supposed to take the best pictures while the S9+ has the better/best camera features.
    04-09-2018 07:54 PM
    I'm pretty sure I made a mistake in choosing the Pixel 2XL. I'm having terrible noise in my low light pictures. The phone has to be in a warm environment to achieve fast charging. Yes, it's a thing and it still doesn't charge as fast as my S7 under ideal conditions..apparently 65 degrees is too cold for it's sensitive self. NO camera settings :o Since Verizon has no deals that I can take advantage of right now, I either have to exchange the Pixel and hope that the noise issue was a faulty camera OR return the phone and wait for a new special.

So, I'm gathering some info for the possible S9+ purchase. How does the display compare to the Pixel 2 XL? I'm thinking probably better. Has Samsung's removal of bloatware been enough to make a difference? How's the battery life? The Pixel's is excellent but it's new and it's stock Android. I've seen several camera comparisons. I tend to lean towards the S9+ in most cases but lean to the Pixel's dynamic range and highlights. The Pixel does have voice command camera shutter (I only found it by Googling). You have to say "hey Google, take a picture" and there is a 3 second count down (sigh).

I need to be convinced that it's worth it to return the Pixel 2XL and wait for a sale on the 9+. OTOH, if you don't think it is, convince me to keep the Pixel I've had the Galaxy 4-7. Big fan except for the bloatware. I like the Pro camera mode but if the Pixel doesn't NEED a pro mode, that's cool.

This is soooo confusing! Camera is #1 priority. Google is supposed to take the best pictures while the S9+ has the better/best camera features.
    I think I'd exchange the Pixel 2XL and see if that solves the problem while you wait for a deal on the S9. I looked at both in Best Buy before buying the Pixel a couple weeks ago. I personally can't do the curved screen and when I looked at the apps on the unlocked S9+ it had close to 100 more apps than the Pixel 2. I just can't do the bloat anymore.
    04-09-2018 08:13 PM
    I'd exchange the Pixel. Your experience is the complete opposite of mine. Definitely sounds like you have a defective one.
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    04-09-2018 08:19 PM
    no one should have to convince you .
    you buy what you think you like.
    I like google,apple,Samsung
    I have the pixel 2 xl/iPhone x/s9+
    Chuck_IV, Macklesdaddy and SR45 like this.
    04-09-2018 09:43 PM
    No one has to convince me. I just asked if they would I'm torn. I thought I'd like the Pixel and do except for a few issues. I like Samsung. Why would anyone need three phones? :o Apple is against my religion

I know there are some that have had both or might HAVE both (like you). I'm looking for advice about screen and picture quality.
    04-09-2018 10:04 PM
    No one has to convince me. I just asked if they would I'm torn. I thought I'd like the Pixel and do except for a few issues. I like Samsung. Why would anyone need three phones? :o Apple is against my religion

I know there are some that have had both or might HAVE both (like you). I'm looking for advice about screen and picture quality.
    I'm a phone addict
    Display no one beats Samsung
    Camera for most is toss up
    Pixel probably all around
    Samsung for lowlights
    I wouldn't knock Apple it's pretty solid device except some glitches on iOS software needs to be ironed out.
    SR45 likes this.
    04-09-2018 10:09 PM
    S9 for better quality of everything except for the camera. Now you decide.
    04-09-2018 11:00 PM
    You'll love the s9+. I guarantee it.
    AustinTech likes this.
    04-09-2018 11:46 PM
    Guarantee it? As in you'll buy it from me if I don't? I'm certain I would. I've loved
    all my Galaxy phones. If both had been on sale when I bought the Pixel, I probably would have
    bought the S9+ If exchanging the Pixel fixes the noise issue, I'll be happy. Change takes some
    getting used to and every phone (even my beloved Galaxy line) have issues. Just wish I could smash
    the two together for the (almost) perfect phone.
    04-10-2018 01:20 AM
    Guarantee it? As in you'll buy it from me if I don't? I'm certain I would. I've loved
    all my Galaxy phones. If both had been on sale when I bought the Pixel, I probably would have
    bought the S9+ If exchanging the Pixel fixes the noise issue, I'll be happy. Change takes some
    getting used to and every phone (even my beloved Galaxy line) have issues. Just wish I could smash
    the two together for the (almost) perfect phone.
    04-10-2018 01:20 AM
    So I had the Pixel 2 XL before getting the S9 plus. I switched mainly because I am addicted to getting new phones.

There are things I like about both phones. I like the pixel dynamic range better than the S9 but for that I just downloaded the Pixel camera apk. Now I have similar dynamic range for selfies. I missed the squeeze side to launch Google search. For that I found an app in the play store that works pretty good.

With the S9, I get a headphone jack back,which is not a big thing until your at a kids baseball, basketball or lacrosse practice and you forget the dongle in the house and can't watch a movie or view because the environment is to loud. Also, I get to use my wireless charger again.

Battery life in my opinion is a slight nod for the Pixel. Both phones last through the day easily for me. It's just a matter of preference. I do like the feel of the S9+ in hand as oppose to the Pixel 2Xl.

Lastly, the screen on the Samsung is better and brighter. Every screen has a level of curve to it so that's unavoidable. I'm sticking with Samsung for now because I also have the Gear S3 and it works best with Samsung.

FYI- I purchased my S9+ for a flat $750 on eBay and it's the Verizon version. I had the unlocked version from Samsung and returned it because you lose Wi-Fi calling and I travel a lot and don't want to pay roaming charges for calls.
    04-10-2018 06:55 AM
    So I had the Pixel 2 XL before getting the S9 plus. I switched mainly because I am addicted to getting new phones.

There are things I like about both phones. I like the pixel dynamic range better than the S9 but for that I just downloaded the Pixel camera apk. Now I have similar dynamic range for selfies. I missed the squeeze side to launch Google search. For that I found an app in the play store that works pretty good.

With the S9, I get a headphone jack back,which is not a big thing until your at a kids baseball, basketball or lacrosse practice and you forget the dongle in the house and can't watch a movie or view because the environment is to loud. Also, I get to use my wireless charger again.

Battery life in my opinion is a slight nod for the Pixel. Both phones last through the day easily for me. It's just a matter of preference. I do like the feel of the S9+ in hand as oppose to the Pixel 2Xl.

Lastly, the screen on the Samsung is better and brighter. Every screen has a level of curve to it so that's unavoidable. I'm sticking with Samsung for now because I also have the Gear S3 and it works best with Samsung.

FYI- I purchased my S9+ for a flat $750 on eBay and it's the Verizon version. I had the unlocked version from Samsung and returned it because you lose Wi-Fi calling and I travel a lot and don't want to pay roaming charges for calls.
    Is there a Pixel camera apk that works for the snapdragon variant? All I saw was for exynos.
    04-10-2018 11:31 AM
    Yes. I have it for the Snapdragon variant. It works great.
    mlblack16 and waqqas31 like this.
    04-10-2018 12:42 PM
    The S9+ Plus (like the Note 8 and S8+) is a magnificent all around device. A lot if power.

If you're big into phone cameras, it's nice there too. There was actually significantly less light than these point-and-shoot shots show and there's abviously some processing but still pretty decent for low light pics.
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    04-10-2018 12:57 PM

From your earlier posts you seem to love Samsung and think it takes better photos so it sounds like your mind is made up (from your #1 needed thing). Buy what you love... love what you buy. Simple .
    westiewanderer likes this.
    04-10-2018 01:01 PM
    Yes. I have it for the Snapdragon variant. It works great.
    Care to share the wealth as to where you got it? 😃

I looked on XDA, but only saw the app for the exynos. That's not the one you're referencing, is it?
    waqqas31 likes this.
    04-10-2018 01:02 PM
    Care to share the wealth as to where you got it?

I looked on XDA, but only saw the app for the exynos. That's not the one you're referencing, is it?
    +1000000

The only Gcam APK I was able to install doesn't really do much after installing, lol.
    04-10-2018 04:22 PM
    I'm pretty happy with the camera
    How Does the Pixel 2 XL Display Compare to S9+ and Talk Me Into the S9+-20180408_090747.jpg
    04-10-2018 08:00 PM
    I'm really starting to think that there must be a problem with some S9+'s. Kind of like the Pixel 2XL screen issues. Some pictures seem like they are bad and yet some look amazing. So like the screens where some are really bad and some not so bad.
    goji26 likes this.
    04-10-2018 09:28 PM
    I've decided to return the Pixel. Even if a new one took care of the low light noise issue, now I'm hearing a horrible static noise that comes and goes during a video. Plus, I'm just missing the Samsung experience! Every day I think of something that I used/liked and the Pixel doesn't offer. I don't feel excited about the Pixel. That tells me I need to return it.
    tadpoles likes this.
    04-10-2018 10:13 PM

The s9 screen is marginally better. Camerota on my pixel is better imo. Sounds like you just got a buggy unit. Have you tried a factory reset? Also it seems like the biggest android phones are ones restored from a backup. It sounds like 100% of the reason you're thinking of swapping to an s9 could be completely solved by exchanging phones. I'd exchange for another pixel first.
    04-10-2018 10:58 PM
    I've decided to return the Pixel. Even if a new one took care of the low light noise issue, now I'm hearing a horrible static noise that comes and goes during a video. Plus, I'm just missing the Samsung experience! Every day I think of something that I used/liked and the Pixel doesn't offer. I don't feel excited about the Pixel. That tells me I need to return it.
    Then you're lucky u got a buggy unit that made you reconsider. Most of us have a brand we're loyal to to a point. I just like shiny new phones lol.
    04-10-2018 11:05 PM
    I'm really starting to think that there must be a problem with some S9+'s. Kind of like the Pixel 2XL screen issues. Some pictures seem like they are bad and yet some look amazing. So like the screens where some are really bad and some not so bad.
    Sure, there can be some issues with some S9s and not others, just as there are problems with some Fords and not others or some Kitchen Aid ovens and not others. AND not all picture takers are the same
    My husband has now decided my S7 isn't good enough and wants a S9+ of his own LOL
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    04-10-2018 11:16 PM
    Or the differences are due to who and how takes the photos.

I think some of the issues people are having are due to the low aperture and deep of field generated. I found the autofocus to move quickly so in many times not focussing where I wanted.

I am now fixing the focus (press and hold for a bit) and getting very good results.
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    04-11-2018 02:37 AM
    I think I'd exchange the Pixel 2XL and see if that solves the problem while you wait for a deal on the S9. I looked at both in Best Buy before buying the Pixel a couple weeks ago. I personally can't do the curved screen and when I looked at the apps on the unlocked S9+ it had close to 100 more apps than the Pixel 2. I just can't do the bloat anymore.
    100 more apps Theot :o

I have the S9 and have been pleased.
    Display & speakers are awesome, camera & battery are good and it does what I need and more fast & very stylishly. I haven't had any issues at all, fingers crossed lol. Was thinking about waiting to check out the HTC U12+ but am glad with me choice.

Samsung definitely has bloatware especially with At&t which I have but its definitely gotten so much better. I've been able to delete instead of just disable many pre installed apps that I couldn't before... Mostly At&t apps(At&t protech, locker, protect plus for example) some Samsung(Samsung+, Smart things, etc) surprisingly and half the Google(Music, Photo, etc) ones I don't use. Only duplicate ones I have are Samsung internet & Chrome + Google & Samsung Pay cause I use both & I kept Gmail even though I use the Samsung email app.

I've just put the ones to sleep that I can't delete since there aren't nearly as many. I just counted how many apps I've now got and & am at 84(had to recount since there are around 20 more not in the app drawer in settings)- about half I've installed myself. I'm not a huge app guy & try to keep it simple but it's still high for all the Android purists I'd guess but I'm extremely happy with it since I use many that are pre installed like Samsung Pay, Google Maps, Audible, DirecTV & of course messages, contacts, calculator etc...
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    04-11-2018 03:02 AM
70 123