Battery draining 1% every 5 mins

Tammy Grace

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
I've had my s9 plus for a little over a month now and it's been good but I don't know if I'm being paranoid but over the last few days it has been draining faster than usual. As I said 1% every 5 mins. I never have my brightness over more than half it still lasts me the day but it used to be it would drop 1% every 10 mins or 6%-%10 an hour. I don't put it on charge until prompted. I usually charge it early in the morning as it charges pretty quickly (I don't use fast charge). Sorry for the waffling. I have attached screenshot of battery usage

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180413-200551_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180413-200551_Settings.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Yep Paranoid. Depends on what apps you are using when the screen is on for starters. How the phone is being used / CPU usage etc.

But your screen on time is excellent, as you have nearly 50% batt left, you're looking at ~ 8-9hrs screen on time! I usually get 5-6hrs total. When the screen is on its gonna drain the battery at the rate you are seeing, there's nothing you can do about that.

If you are saying its draining at that rate when the screen is off then there's something not quite right, probably an app running in the background.

Either way to monitor it get a better battery app, so you can see if any apps are keeping the phone awake/using CPU, like GSAM or Better Battery Stats.

Mine uses <1% per hour when the screen is off. And about the same as you (depending on what app i'm using) when the screen is active.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
1% or less is pretty much normal. 2% or more is a bit on the high side, just means an app is running in the background, that could also be for a legitimate reason. Don't worry about it and charge it when you need too.

Tammy Grace

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. Do you think leaving it on the charger when its charged is damaging? I usually take it off charge 10 mins before I need to leave the house.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Np, if you leave it on charge for hours n hours at 100% yes it can be damaging to the battery over time, mind you i do that overnight quite often and never had a problem with the battery in the s9+ or in other phones. Its just more convenient right? :)

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
You could try the wipe cache in recovery technique, when I get issues like this sometimes doing this will correct excessive battery drain issues.

Also as a rule whenever I get a new phone I always switch off automatic updates of Google Play store. I then update apps one by one, if I feel I need to (most time not necessary IMHO). This way I can manually update my apps and have more of an idea over which apps are causing draining issues if/when I update them.

karelj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
On standby, my battery usually goes from 100% to 96% after 10-11 hours. In use, it loses 1% every 2-3 minutes.
Not sure if this is normal for a 2 week old Galaxy S9. I figure it's the price to pay for a powerful processor and amazing screen.

Last edited:

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I always get paranoid about my battery. Even when it's fine. I have AOD on and I know that's partly why I lose about 1% an hour.

I JUST downloaded the Gsam app. And it said 83% screen time. :/ I don't know how to lower that. Because I'm sure the AOD might be to blame for screen time being used up so much.

I even tried downloading Friendly app instead of the Official Facebook app. Because when I look at the info / stats for the Facebook app. It says it uses quite a bit of battery. I also decided to download Messenger Lite.

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I always get paranoid about my battery. Even when it's fine. I have AOD on and I know that's partly why I lose about 1% an hour.

I JUST downloaded the Gsam app. And it said 83% screen time. :/ I don't know how to lower that. Because I'm sure the AOD might be to blame for screen time being used up so much.

I even tried downloading Friendly app instead of the Official Facebook app. Because when I look at the info / stats for the Facebook app. It says it uses quite a bit of battery. I also decided to download Messenger Lite.

1% per hour with AOD on is excellent, stop flapping about nothing lol. You can't lower the screentime %, if its on its on, yes AOD counts toward that stat.

FB/messenger apps have always been batt hogs, a lot better than they used to be in the past mind.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
1% per hour with AOD on is excellent, stop flapping about nothing lol. You can't lower the screentime %, if its on its on, yes AOD counts toward that stat.

FB/messenger apps have always been batt hogs, a lot better than they used to be in the past mind.

Yeah, I think give or take , it's 1% an hour when I use AOD. Well I set it to turn on at 10am and turn off at 12am. lol.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers