Keep the phone face down

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, I put it face up as I feel there is less chance to scratch the screen. But, I want to start to keep it face down sometimes in order to turn off aod when I need but I don't want to risk to scratch the phone. What do you think? This is my cover and I don't use any screen protector
741487ea52da93fe8e26dc0bd5298387.jpg
d7c39ae0c73f6f47581811c5aed7d9ea.jpg
031eacf3193dde08c25e3570abc4fc96.jpg

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the AOD shuts off even with the phone face down on the S9 so it won't matter. Just get a case with a border high enough to prevent the screen from touching a surface if you put the phone face down. The case you have doesn't look that thick. As long as you're not rubbing it on the surface you should be good.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
AOD does shut off with the S9+ when placed face down. Comes bank on immediately when picked up. You can set a time for the AOD to be off so if you don't want it on, say, at night, you can set on and off times.

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I knot that I can set a time, but during the day I just want to be able to shut it off whenever I want simply putting the phone face down, but as I said I don't want to risk to scratch the screen

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
AOD does shut off with the S9+ when placed face down. Comes bank on immediately when picked up. You can set a time for the AOD to be off so if you don't want it on, say, at night, you can set on and off times.

Is that a default setting, AOD shuts off when the S9+ is faced down?

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
Is that a default setting, AOD shuts off when the S9+ is faced down?
I'm really not sure. I just looked at the AOD settings and it's not in there and I'm not sure now if it was a setting somewhere else or if it just always works like that. I know my screen with AOD on will go black placed face down. I'll try to find a setting.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's a feature to prevent unnecessary battery drain while the phone is in a pocket, purse or face down on table. There is no setting to turn it on or off.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I knot that I can set a time, but during the day I just want to be able to shut it off whenever I want simply putting the phone face down, but as I said I don't want to risk to scratch the screen
I would not put it face down unless the lip of the case comes up over the top of the screen, above the curve. Yours doesn't appear to be high enough.

JW_SC

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
Not a shill by any means; but the front is made of Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5; you're fine.
It's probably the strongest part of the phone. Face down, you're good.
Now, my Oakley's with iridium coating.... I'm not sure they've ever been even CLOSE to touching a hard surface.

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
you need a case with bigger top and bottom lips
that way when you put the phone face down the screen will not touch the table
I would not put it face down unless the lip of the case comes up over the top of the screen, above the curve. Yours doesn't appear to be high enough.
And what cover do you suggest to buy?
Not a shill by any means; but the front is made of Corning Gorilla Glass 5; you're fine.
It's probably the strongest part of the phone. Face down, you're good.
Now, my Oakley's with iridium coating.... I'm not sure they've ever been even CLOSE to touching a hard surface.
This is what I thought, but apparently it seems that without a cover, the screen can get scratched if the phone is face down. I don't get it

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
And what cover do you suggest to buy? This is what I thought, but apparently it seems that without a cover, the screen can get scratched if the phone is face down. I don't get it
Get one of those armor cases. You can watch Flossy's case reviews. If he says the case is slamboy approved, that means the screen is raised far enough from the table.

It's gonna get scratched because there are a lot of things in this world that's harder than glass. A single speck of sand getting under your screen and then you pull it off and it slides a little, then boom you got a scratch. I never had a scratch before my S7 Edge and never used a protector, but I always had armor cases. I decided to go for a similar case to yours on the S7 and continued to put it face down. Next thing I knoe there a pretty deep scar that came out of nowhere.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Get one of those armor cases. You can watch Flossy's case reviews. If he says the case is slamboy approved, that means the screen is raised far enough from the table. (Snip)

I enjoy Flossy's reviews. When he says it's slamboy approved & hits the table the with the phone face down, the whole table shakes. He's pretty convincing!

Last edited:

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Can you suggest a specific cheap cover which is slamboy approved and that I can buy on Amazon? I'm not English so I have a little bit of difficulty to watch those reviews

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Can you suggest a specific cheap cover which is slamboy approved and that I can buy on Amazon? I'm not English so I have a little bit of difficulty to watch those reviews
Cheap is relative though. I suggest looking at cases made by UAG. Some Spigen cases you can look at is the tough armor and the slim armor.

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Cheap is relative though. I suggest looking at cases made by UAG. Some Spigen cases you can look at is the tough armor and the slim armor.
I prefer the spigen since I know them. What model do you suggest? I looked on Amazon, but I don't understand if the cover is "slamboy approved" or not. They seems all similar to me

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I have a Lifeproof Next case on mine and I like it, seems very protective but doesn't cover the glass. It does have a lip that is higher than the screen if I place it face down. Not a cheap case though at $79.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech