Doesn't charge the battery over 80%, is that true?

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I installed accurate battery app, and it says that is better not to charge the phone more than 80%. I read about it in other places, is that true?
b208d47c376bcfaca70c28522953148b.jpg

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
i usually charge it when it gets down to about 40-50% and i let it charge up to about 90%
and once a month i let it go down to 10% and then charge it up to full 100%
yes i am a nerd. i know.

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
i usually charge it when it gets down to about 40-50% and i let it charge up to about 90%
and once a month i let it go down to 10% and then charge it up to full 100%
yes i am a nerd. i know.
So is it wrong to charge the battery to full 100%? I always wait until the phone reach 16-17% and then I charge it to full 100%

Axle Grease

Apr 6, 2018
Visit site
No. Samsung sets the threshold at which the device reports a 100% battery charge. What is reported as 100% charge may be less than the maximum of what the battery can actually hold. Whatever the case, charging to 100% as *reported* is not going to harm anything. Thinking about it further, what the 80% claim entails is that it is bad to wait for a green light which is NOT the interpretation the smartphone's creators intended.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Battery experts mostly agree that for lithium batteries in general, it's ideal to charge up to 80%, and not let it drop much below 30-40% (Tesla also recommends that its car batteries not be charged beyond 80% for regular usage, and only charge to 100% for the occasional long trip). This is supposed to optimally prolong the battery's lifespan. Realistically, it's not easy to stop the phone from charging beyond 80% unless you use an app like that, and it also won't give you as much battery life throughout the day, since you're starting at 80%. So although your battery might last a little bit longer over its lifespan, it could be unfeasible for real world usage. I typically let it charge up to 100%, but try not to let it fall below 30% with regular usage.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Battery experts mostly agree that for lithium batteries in general, it's ideal to charge up to 80%, and not let it drop much below 30-40% (Tesla also recommends that its car batteries not be charged beyond 80% for regular usage, and only charge to 100% for the occasional long trip). This is supposed to optimally prolong the battery's lifespan. Realistically, it's not easy to stop the phone from charging beyond 80% unless you use an app like that, and it also won't give you as much battery life throughout the day, since you're starting at 80%. So although your battery might last a little bit longer over its lifespan, it could be unfeasible for real world usage. I typically let it charge up to 100%, but try not to let it fall below 30% with regular usage.
This.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm gonna quote myself. Lol.

chanchan05 said:
Anyway the gist is, basically, batteries work by ion movement, and like a machine, these ions wear out over time due to use. And similar to machines, heavy use wears them out more. You're more likely to break an engine by running it for 1 day at max rev, than running it over a month at half capacity. The smaller the depth of discharge, the lower the wear. Lab tests have concluded that when you constantly discharge from 100 to 0, it allows you betwrrn 300-500 charge cycles before it starts to break down and not hold charges. More specifically, when you reach that magic number your battery can only hold 75% of it's original charge. That's typically 1-2 years of use if you charge once a day. And heavy abusers charge more than once a day, so that decreases the time span to however many weeks it takes them to reach 500 charge cycles. Now, the increase in charge cycles is exponential, not arithmetical. So a depth of discharge to 50 before recharging will not give you 600-1000 charges. Rather it will give you 1200-1500 charge cycles. Mathematically, draining a 3600mah to zero for 300 charges gives you 1080000mah to burn through however short your battery life will be. On the other hand, using only 50% of the battery before recharging gives you 2160000mah to burn through before it expires after at least 1200 charge cycles. In other words, it stored twice more power for you to use. If you say, charge once every 24hrs, going always from 100 to 0 gives you at least 300 days. Recharging twice a day at 50% gives your battery at least 600 days of use before battery capacity deteriorates noticeably. Discharging to 75% before recharging actually gives you 2000-2500 charge cycles, making it even longer. Basically the point is, always plug the phone in when given the chance. Don't wait for 50%, or whatever. 40% is an arbitrary number actually, not sure why it's chosen. Also, this is why one of the choices to auto activate power saving in the S7 is at 50%, so that it keeps the battery up as close to 50% as possible when you get the chance to plug in.

As for charging to 80%, this is because partial charge is better than full charge for lithium ion batteries. The ions are placed on stress to hold charges. Maximum stress is at 100% charge. And like everything else, stuff tends to break more. So not running it to 100% all the time will reduce overall stress experienced and increase the time before deterioration occurs. Personally I charge to 90%, and discharge to 40% or above. That's a 50% depth of charge, so that's good for up to 1500 charge cycles, plus whatever number of cycles the decrease in max stress gives me.

However, note that environmental temperatures also play a role in battery longevity.

Things have changed a bit though. AFAIK now batteries reach 500-700 charges on 100-0, instead of 300-500. But everything else should be the same.

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I charge my phone always 100 to 16/17%
I'm gonna quote myself. Lol.

Things have changed a bit though. AFAIK now batteries reach 500-700 charges on 100-0, instead of 300-500. But everything else should be the same.
Long story short, meaning? Is it not a problem if I do a full charge every time (from 100% to max 16/17%, I never reach 15% before to put the phone on charge)?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I charge my phone always 100 to 16/17%Long story short, meaning? Is it not a problem if I do a full charge every time (from 100% to max 16/17%, I never reach 15% before to put the phone on charge)?
Basically your battery will not last as long as mine. It would depend how many times a day you charge. The discharge from 100 to 16 is pretty high, almost full discharge, so I'd expect you to have battery degradation at 700 cycles. If you charge twice a day, then basically next year you'll only have access to 50-75% of your original capacity. Basically it will only last half as long as it used to. That's discounting any possible effects varying temperatures may have.

mack 73

Apr 10, 2018
Visit site
Is there a way to prevent the phone from charging past 80% - I'm guessing root access would be needed, or is there another way?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to prevent the phone from charging past 80% - I'm guessing root access would be needed, or is there another way?
No. But some apps can help. For example, on all my phones I set Lightflow to turn the LED green and sound off a notification when the battery hits 90%. You can set that to any number you like. You can also do some of these through apps like Tasker, etc.

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
don't matter if battery over 80% or 100% most people keep they phone for 2 years anyway. especially enthusiast
about 1 and half year your battery gets weak anyway. so don't worry what the media, tech web sites say.

Ryza321

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Basically your battery will not last as long as mine. It would depend how many times a day you charge. The discharge from 100 to 16 is pretty high, almost full discharge, so I'd expect you to have battery degradation at 700 cycles. If you charge twice a day, then basically next year you'll only have access to 50-75% of your original capacity. Basically it will only last half as long as it used to. That's discounting any possible effects varying temperatures may have.
But you to charge it more often since from 80% to 20% (for example) the battery last less time. Anyway I always charge it like I said and I hope that it will last as max as possible
don't matter if battery over 80% or 100% most people keep they phone for 2 years anyway. especially enthusiast
about 1 and half year your battery gets weak anyway. so don't worry what the media, tech web sites say.
Not me. I change a phone only if it dies for any reason. Otherwise I can keep it years and years, for this reason I want to understand this battery thing

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
According to Cadex (the world's largest manufacturer of battery testing equipment), who should know, 50% to 80% is ideal for lithium batteries. 40% to 80% isn't too bad. 15%? Might as well buy stock in a lithium battery manufacturer.

Unless, of course, you replace the phone every year - then you might get away with 30% to 100% every cycle, and still have full life left when you get a new phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
But you to charge it more often since from 80% to 20% (for example) the battery last less time. Anyway I always charge it like I said and I hope that it will last as max as possible Not me. I change a phone only if it dies for any reason. Otherwise I can keep it years and years, for this reason I want to understand this battery thing
You know the answer to this is already in the post above. The battery will last for more years if you charge it more often.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
According to Cadex (the world's largest manufacturer of battery testing equipment), who should know, 50% to 80% is ideal for lithium batteries.

In one of their Battery University articles, they claimed keeping it between 65-75% is optimal. Either way, it's a balance of longevity vs time between charges for most phone users.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I installed accurate battery app, and it says that is better not to charge the phone more than 80%. I read about it in other places, is that true?
Depends.

How many months will the battery be good if you keep charging to 100%? How many months will it be good if you only charge to 80%? How many months do you plan to keep the phone? How many hours does the charge last if you charge to 100%? How many hours does it last if you charge to 80%? How many hours do you need each day?

If you don't have all those numbers, just abide by whatever the User Manual recommends.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Depends.

How many months will the battery be good if you keep charging to 100%? How many months will it be good if you only charge to 80%? How many months do you plan to keep the phone? How many hours does the charge last if you charge to 100%? How many hours does it last if you charge to 80%? How many hours do you need each day?

If you don't have all those numbers, just abide by whatever the User Manual recommends.
You can actually get those numbers with simple math.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm