S9+ Blows Pixel 2 XL Out of the Water!!

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The difference is 1 or 1.5 meters, but both are talking about still,room temperature tap water and either are tested for using the device while submerged. There is no real world scenario that matches the difference in the two tests.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you're loving your new phone and got the one that is right for you! My friend just got his S9 and is really loving it! It's a fantastic phone.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
S9+ has the newer better processor, better display,Don't think the FPS is better especially since they put it in a better place. Has ip 68 s ip67, has expandble storage,has wireless charging, has a better battery rating,more ram,Samsung Pay which works so much better because you don't need NFC

OK, let's break this down:

Better processor - by how much? How is it performing in the real-world usage (my Pixel 2 XL is doing GREAT by the way)
IP rating - discussed below, 68 vs 67 is negligible and HARDLY worth even mentioning
Expandable storage - personal preference. Last device I had with it performed VERY poorly as it related to that.
Wireless charging - personal preference again, I don't mind plugging in my phone to charge, which also means it doesn't stop charging when I pick it up.
Better battery "rating" - meaning what? it has a larger battery? How does it do in real-world use? How long does it go?
Samsung Pay? I couldn't care less. 90% of the places I go support Google Pay, and of the remaining 10% most are either gas stations or places that have the terminals behind the counter where I couldn't use my phone anyway so there's no difference there.

SO many people focus on spec-posturing (this new processor is 1 mHz, OMG it's so great!) and what OTHERS say about the device just to justify their decision. How is YOUR device doing? My Pixel 2 XL handles EVERYTHING I throw at it, and sometimes BETTER than my Tab S3. Oh yeah - it was also doing so more securely than that Samsung tablet because it took SIX MONTHS for Samsung to get it patched against KRACK!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Better processor - by how much? How is it performing in the real-world usage (my Pixel 2 XL is doing GREAT by the way)
IP rating - discussed below, 68 vs 67 is negligible and HARDLY worth even mentioning
Expandable storage - personal preference. Last device I had with it performed VERY poorly as it related to that.
Wireless charging - personal preference again, I don't mind plugging in my phone to charge, which also means it doesn't stop charging when I pick it up.
Better battery "rating" - meaning what? it has a larger battery? How does it do in real-world use? How long does it go?
Samsung Pay? I couldn't care less. 90% of the places I go support Google Pay, and of the remaining 10% most are either gas stations or places that have the terminals behind the counter where I couldn't use my phone anyway so there's no difference there.

SO many people focus on spec-posturing (this new processor is 1 mHz, OMG it's so great!) and what OTHERS say about the device just to justify their decision. How is YOUR device doing? My Pixel 2 XL handles EVERYTHING I throw at it, and sometimes BETTER than my Tab S3. Oh yeah - it was also doing so more securely than that Samsung tablet because it took SIX MONTHS for Samsung to get it patched against KRACK!
If the Pixel's pure Android, faster updates, and possibly better camera works better for you that's awesome but I'm not sure seemingly discounting the S9+'s various attributes is the best answer either. Different strokes for different folks.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
HOLY SMOKES! I am SO glad I didn't settle for the Pixel I bought last week. It took less than a couple of hours for me to realize the Pixel 2 XL wasn't going to cut it for me. When am I going to stop believing everything I read and hear? LOL I can't think of one thing about that phone that has an advantage over the 9+. Oh wait, yes I can. There is one thing I'll miss. That's the squeeze function to bring up GA. I already miss that but it's a small price to pay for 1000x better pictures/videos, Pro mode, THAT display, Bixby (just kidding LOL). I wish I had time to sing the praises of this phone and how much better (I think) it is in so many ways. I was so hopped up about the Pixel 2 xl and it was such a disappointment in the photo/video side of things. I've learned my lesson. I've given my Pixel to my husband and honestly feel bad about it. If he doesn't like it (and he's not the camera buff I am), I'm willing to pay the restocking fee, losing the $54 for the Zagg screen protector (and buy another one for the 9+) and the upgraded cost of getting him a 9+. It may be fine for him. His "noticer" isn't as sensitive as mine ;) If the camera and display work for him, great. I even exchanged the Pixel for another one thinking I must have a defective one.

If you're on the fence between the two cameras and photography and video are high on your list (as well as the display), please choose the Samsung phone!

I feel like the only area that the s9 wins in photos besides low light obviously is in indoor shots. The pixels don't like that florescent lighting for some reason. I have both phones.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

So the Pixel gets software updates and security updates faster. Big deal. I could care less about that stuff. If or when not having a latest security patch becomes a problem then I'll worry about it. How many android phones in this world are on the latest software and newest security update. Maybe 15%? The other 85% are still using their phones with out Google's latest and greatest and still working fine. Maybe not as fast or fluid but they still work.

And other people have to defend having PURE ANDROID is the only thing to care about. They have to mention how "buttery smooth" the phone is running. My S9+ handles everything I throw at it. In fact it's the best phone I've ever owned. I want my phone to have features I use. If I wanted stock vanillia I'd buy an iPhone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
2017/2018 phone none are blowing any out the water they all feel same open and closing apps and day to day things ...but little things and tweaks I like from each manufacturer

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
HOLY SMOKES! I am SO glad I didn't settle for the Pixel I bought last week. It took less than a couple of hours for me to realize the Pixel 2 XL wasn't going to cut it for me. When am I going to stop believing everything I read and hear? LOL I can't think of one thing about that phone that has an advantage over the 9+. Oh wait, yes I can. There is one thing I'll miss. That's the squeeze function to bring up GA. I already miss that but it's a small price to pay for 1000x better pictures/videos, Pro mode, THAT display, Bixby (just kidding LOL). I wish I had time to sing the praises of this phone and how much better (I think) it is in so many ways. I was so hopped up about the Pixel 2 xl and it was such a disappointment in the photo/video side of things. I've learned my lesson. I've given my Pixel to my husband and honestly feel bad about it. If he doesn't like it (and he's not the camera buff I am), I'm willing to pay the restocking fee, losing the $54 for the Zagg screen protector (and buy another one for the 9+) and the upgraded cost of getting him a 9+. It may be fine for him. His "noticer" isn't as sensitive as mine ;) If the camera and display work for him, great. I even exchanged the Pixel for another one thinking I must have a defective one.

If you're on the fence between the two cameras and photography and video are high on your list (as well as the display), please choose the Samsung phone!

Getting a Pixel isn't "settling".

BTW, the Pixel 2 XL's camera > S9+'s camera. I'd know because I had both.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@ScottsoNJ I was just pointing out that for a majority of users the "newer processor" means very little, the Pixel 2 XL performs perfectly fine on less RAM, the IP rating is a negligible difference and with credit card terminals being upgraded to support NFC many of the places where Samsung Pay was an advantage aren't anymore.

I simply took your list of "here's what's better on the S9+" and pointed out where it's not really a significant advantage like some might want others to believe, to the point that it's not really a "blows away" the Pixel as the OP put in the title.

Some people don't care about updates because they don't know any different because they don't follow sites like this one or technology in general or are complacent (maybe this is why the Facebook issue was allowed to go on so long?) but when there's a major security hole found and publicized as much as KRACK was I expect the producers of recent high-end devices such as the Tab S3 to patch said devices in a timely manner (especially when the the device is the key link in securing against the vulnerability). I admit, the Tab S3 is not the S9 phone and I probably shouldn't have brought it up, but it IS representative of how Samsung has been in the past, and still is with the non-flagship phones.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
@ScottsoNJ I was just pointing out that for a majority of users the "newer processor" means very little, the Pixel 2 XL performs perfectly fine on less RAM, the IP rating is a negligible difference and with credit card terminals being upgraded to support NFC many of the places where Samsung Pay was an advantage aren't anymore.

I simply took your list of "here's what's better on the S9+" and pointed out where it's not really a significant advantage like some might want others to believe, to the point that it's not really a "blows away" the Pixel as the OP put in the title.

Some people don't care about updates because they don't know any different because they don't follow sites like this one or technology in general or are complacent (maybe this is why the Facebook issue was allowed to go on so long?) but when there's a major security hole found and publicized as much as KRACK was I expect the producers of recent high-end devices such as the Tab S3 to patch said devices in a timely manner (especially when the the device is the key link in securing against the vulnerability). I admit, the Tab S3 is not the S9 phone and I probably shouldn't have brought it up, but it IS representative of how Samsung has been in the past, and still is with the non-flagship phones.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree that no top of the line phone will blow any other out of the water. Whats funny is when the Pixel 2 Xl came out I would have probably kept it. But I wanted 2 of these.. ip68,expandable storage, headphone jack or wireless charging. But I did also buy the Note 8 so now I have wireless earbuds( gear Icon X ) so a headphone jack is not crucial to me anymore. And if android adopts something similar to what Apple is using now for compressing photos expandable storage probably won't be that big of a deal either anymore.

Jason Booth

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL has a better camera, better build materials, better and more up to date software, better and more up to date security, is better for updates on both of those fronts, out of the box is better for user privacy, has a better FPS, 128 GB option is more widely available, has smoother performance despite less RAM, has better resource management, has better battery life, better charging solution (Samsung is still using QuickCharge 2.0), etc.
S9+ has a better display (for most users), arguably better speakers (though one of them is facing the wrong direction), wireless charging and Samsung pay, etc.

Really depends on what your priorities are to say which is best for any single person, but completely unfounded to say one blows the other out of the water. They have much more in common than the things they differ on.

Jason Booth

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Too bad it's only available on one carrier. Only way people will know about the pixel is if they read the web or consumer goddess and word of mouth.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Of course it does it better than a Tab S3. The tab S3 has a SD 820 while the Pixel has an SD 835. And yeah, Samsung doesn't update their tablets often because Android tablets suck. There's no motivation to do so because they don't sell in any appreciable numbers. I have both the Pixel 2 XL and S9+. I prefer the S9+, but they're both good phones. I had never experienced anything as fast as the Pixel until I got the S9. I can only imagine how fast the Pixel 3 is going to be with an SD845. It's a great time to be a technology fan.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
and for the people that never experienced the pixel ...this is got to be one of the fastest boot up device's and when u get a software update is f****** fast ....like Google supercharged this phone.. iPhone u wait for dam bar to finish it's software and Samsung always waiting for Android to update

Emily 1

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
I have an S9 and am loving it! I'm sure the Pixel is great too, but I enjoy Samsung. Any of these flagships should be excellent phones though, and all of their cameras should be more than adequate for your average user. I don't see the point in arguing for one phone brand over another unless one has major flaws. Just buy what you enjoy using and don't let hype influence your decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20