S9+ Blows Pixel 2 XL Out of the Water!!

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
HOLY SMOKES! I am SO glad I didn't settle for the Pixel I bought last week. It took less than a couple of hours for me to realize the Pixel 2 XL wasn't going to cut it for me. When am I going to stop believing everything I read and hear? LOL I can't think of one thing about that phone that has an advantage over the 9+. Oh wait, yes I can. There is one thing I'll miss. That's the squeeze function to bring up GA. I already miss that but it's a small price to pay for 1000x better pictures/videos, Pro mode, THAT display, Bixby (just kidding LOL). I wish I had time to sing the praises of this phone and how much better (I think) it is in so many ways. I was so hopped up about the Pixel 2 xl and it was such a disappointment in the photo/video side of things. I've learned my lesson. I've given my Pixel to my husband and honestly feel bad about it. If he doesn't like it (and he's not the camera buff I am), I'm willing to pay the restocking fee, losing the $54 for the Zagg screen protector (and buy another one for the 9+) and the upgraded cost of getting him a 9+. It may be fine for him. His "noticer" isn't as sensitive as mine ;) If the camera and display work for him, great. I even exchanged the Pixel for another one thinking I must have a defective one.

If you're on the fence between the two cameras and photography and video are high on your list (as well as the display), please choose the Samsung phone!

Last edited:

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
You must have a different S9+ because I've had three different phones and none of them took better pictures than the Pixel 2 XL. Try taking a picture of a pet or kid that doesn't hold still. Blur city...doesn't happen with the Pixel. Besides the camera I agree the S9 is better.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
You must have a different S9+ because I've had three different phones and none of them took better pictures than the Pixel 2 XL. Try taking a picture of a pet or kid that doesn't hold still. Blur city...doesn't happen with the Pixel. Besides the camera I agree the S9 is better.

I think the majority have really good one's and a small number have one's that must have a defect

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
This is an S9 pic of his Royal Highnesses not being still in low light. Definitely some blur.
09bae28d07adf1b7c44f1815226c3845.jpg

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have no complaints with the camera, but thank you all for the tips. The S9+ and Note 8 shooters deliver more results than I typically need. If I need more I have a Sony Alpha 7 DSLR ready to do what it does.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Photography has been a passion of mine for a long time. I've gone from thinking every photo must be text book perfect to relaxing that theory a bit and accepting (actually liking) photos that look like real life and/or more pleasing to the eye. Blur isn't always a bad thing. It shows movement/action. Sure, sometimes a completely frozen action shot is preferred. A "warm" indoor shot can look more cozy than one perfectly exposed. Shadows in the right place can be more interesting. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my eye prefers Samsung over Google. With 8 Google Homes in my home, it's not like I'm anti-Google ;)

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

So which phone do you have? I'd have to go with the camera I liked the best. Luckily, for me, it happened to be the same device!

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
So which phone do you have? I'd have to go with the camera I liked the best. Luckily, for me, it happened to be the same device!
I received another S9+ yesterday. I also have a Pixel 2 XL. For taking pictures of my kids or pets the Pixel seems better. I don't know if the shutter speed is faster, or if it's some sort of processing. I'll have both phones and take a picture of my 9 month old with each one. He constantly moves so the pictures on the S9 are always blurred. The pictures on the Pixel are always clear. If anyone hasn't at least tried a Pixel 2 I'd recommend it. The camera on the S9 definitely is not on the same level in most areas. Problem is so many other features are awesome in the S9. I'm hoping Samsung will update the camera app soon.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
You can find an example of the Pixel and my S7 on the Pixel forum (1st page). Same "auto" setting on both cams. I don't know if I was more surprised by the lousy Pixel picture or the Google fanboys that refused to say the S9 was better (g) Only edit was to resize.
Here is another test. Another win for the S9+

Galaxy S9+
samsung.jpg

Pixel 2 XL
Pixel.jpg

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I received another S9+ yesterday. I also have a Pixel 2 XL. For taking pictures of my kids or pets the Pixel seems better. I don't know if the shutter speed is faster, or if it's some sort of processing. I'll have both phones and take a picture of my 9 month old with each one. He constantly moves so the pictures on the S9 are always blurred. The pictures on the Pixel are always clear. If anyone hasn't at least tried a Pixel 2 I'd recommend it. The camera on the S9 definitely is not on the same level in most areas. Problem is so many other features are awesome in the S9. I'm hoping Samsung will update the camera app soon.
Shutter speed. For some reason the S9's sport mode is hidden. You should use that for moving objects. Long press on one of the available modes, scroll down to sport mode, then switch to that when taking a picture of a moving thing. You should also rearrange the modes to have sport mode closest to auto.

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
You can find an example of the Pixel and my S7 on the Pixel forum (1st page). Same "auto" setting on both cams. I don't know if I was more surprised by the lousy Pixel picture or the Google fanboys that refused to say the S9 was better (g) Only edit was to resize.
Here is another test. Another win for the S9+

Galaxy S9+
View attachment 282685

Pixel 2 XL
View attachment 282686
The S9 picture looks blown out. I can see more detail in the Pixel picture. Look at the wall alone. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Shutter speed. For some reason the S9's sport mode is hidden. You should use that for moving objects. Long press on one of the available modes, scroll down to sport mode, then switch to that when taking a picture of a moving thing. You should also rearrange the modes to have sport mode closest to auto.
Thanks, I'll check that out.

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Just took two pictures of the same objects. Both auto mode. First one is the S9. Zoom in and look at the writing on the bottles. Second one is the Pixel 2. Zoom in and check out that writing.20180415_021034.jpgIMG_20180415_021103.jpg

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
For some reason pictures are downscaled on here. Look at the difference in detail on the paper towels. Pixel wins easily. You must not have had HDR on.