Yesterday 09:58 AM
108 123 ...
tools
    HOLY SMOKES! I am SO glad I didn't settle for the Pixel I bought last week. It took less than a couple of hours for me to realize the Pixel 2 XL wasn't going to cut it for me. When am I going to stop believing everything I read and hear? LOL I can't think of one thing about that phone that has an advantage over the 9+. Oh wait, yes I can. There is one thing I'll miss. That's the squeeze function to bring up GA. I already miss that but it's a small price to pay for 1000x better pictures/videos, Pro mode, THAT display, Bixby (just kidding LOL). I wish I had time to sing the praises of this phone and how much better (I think) it is in so many ways. I was so hopped up about the Pixel 2 xl and it was such a disappointment in the photo/video side of things. I've learned my lesson. I've given my Pixel to my husband and honestly feel bad about it. If he doesn't like it (and he's not the camera buff I am), I'm willing to pay the restocking fee, losing the $54 for the Zagg screen protector (and buy another one for the 9+) and the upgraded cost of getting him a 9+. It may be fine for him. His "noticer" isn't as sensitive as mine If the camera and display work for him, great. I even exchanged the Pixel for another one thinking I must have a defective one.

If you're on the fence between the two cameras and photography and video are high on your list (as well as the display), please choose the Samsung phone!
    Smply_Rckless and Wizzy like this.
    04-14-2018 01:10 PM
    You must have a different S9+ because I've had three different phones and none of them took better pictures than the Pixel 2 XL. Try taking a picture of a pet or kid that doesn't hold still. Blur city...doesn't happen with the Pixel. Besides the camera I agree the S9 is better.
    TheConvert and rdubmu like this.
    04-14-2018 01:13 PM
    You must have a different S9+ because I've had three different phones and none of them took better pictures than the Pixel 2 XL. Try taking a picture of a pet or kid that doesn't hold still. Blur city...doesn't happen with the Pixel. Besides the camera I agree the S9 is better.
    I think the majority have really good one's and a small number have one's that must have a defect
    04-14-2018 03:18 PM
    This is an S9 pic of his Royal Highnesses not being still in low light. Definitely some blur.
    TwitchyPuppy and goji26 like this.
    04-14-2018 03:41 PM
    This is an S9 pic of his Royal Highnesses not being still in low light. Definitely some blur.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...15226c3845.jpg
    It seems to be that is not focused in the dog but the carpet.
    04-14-2018 03:54 PM
    It seems to be that is not focused in the dog but the carpet.
    Perhaps.
    04-14-2018 06:10 PM
    This is an S9 pic of his Royal Highnesses not being still in low light. Definitely some blur.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...15226c3845.jpg
    You might want to try:

1. Fixing the point-of-focus by long-pressing on the subject.
    2. Try OpenCamera from the Play Store.
    04-14-2018 06:25 PM
    I have no complaints with the camera, but thank you all for the tips. The S9+ and Note 8 shooters deliver more results than I typically need. If I need more I have a Sony Alpha 7 DSLR ready to do what it does.
    ScottsoNJ and Smply_Rckless like this.
    04-14-2018 09:46 PM
    Photography has been a passion of mine for a long time. I've gone from thinking every photo must be text book perfect to relaxing that theory a bit and accepting (actually liking) photos that look like real life and/or more pleasing to the eye. Blur isn't always a bad thing. It shows movement/action. Sure, sometimes a completely frozen action shot is preferred. A "warm" indoor shot can look more cozy than one perfectly exposed. Shadows in the right place can be more interesting. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my eye prefers Samsung over Google. With 8 Google Homes in my home, it's not like I'm anti-Google
    04-14-2018 10:55 PM
    So which phone do you have? I'd have to go with the camera I liked the best. Luckily, for me, it happened to be the same device!
    04-14-2018 10:56 PM
    So which phone do you have? I'd have to go with the camera I liked the best. Luckily, for me, it happened to be the same device!
    I received another S9+ yesterday. I also have a Pixel 2 XL. For taking pictures of my kids or pets the Pixel seems better. I don't know if the shutter speed is faster, or if it's some sort of processing. I'll have both phones and take a picture of my 9 month old with each one. He constantly moves so the pictures on the S9 are always blurred. The pictures on the Pixel are always clear. If anyone hasn't at least tried a Pixel 2 I'd recommend it. The camera on the S9 definitely is not on the same level in most areas. Problem is so many other features are awesome in the S9. I'm hoping Samsung will update the camera app soon.
    04-14-2018 11:40 PM
    Have you downloaded sports mode? It's an option in the phone settings that might solve your problem.
    04-14-2018 11:45 PM
    Is your AF turned on in the settings as well? You can also try sport modes as suggested as well.
    04-15-2018 12:39 AM
    You can find an example of the Pixel and my S7 on the Pixel forum (1st page). Same "auto" setting on both cams. I don't know if I was more surprised by the lousy Pixel picture or the Google fanboys that refused to say the S9 was better (g) Only edit was to resize.
    Here is another test. Another win for the S9+

Galaxy S9+
    S9+ Blows Pixel 2 XL Out of the Water!!-samsung.jpg

Pixel 2 XL
    S9+ Blows Pixel 2 XL Out of the Water!!-pixel.jpg
    04-15-2018 12:43 AM
    I received another S9+ yesterday. I also have a Pixel 2 XL. For taking pictures of my kids or pets the Pixel seems better. I don't know if the shutter speed is faster, or if it's some sort of processing. I'll have both phones and take a picture of my 9 month old with each one. He constantly moves so the pictures on the S9 are always blurred. The pictures on the Pixel are always clear. If anyone hasn't at least tried a Pixel 2 I'd recommend it. The camera on the S9 definitely is not on the same level in most areas. Problem is so many other features are awesome in the S9. I'm hoping Samsung will update the camera app soon.
    Shutter speed. For some reason the S9's sport mode is hidden. You should use that for moving objects. Long press on one of the available modes, scroll down to sport mode, then switch to that when taking a picture of a moving thing. You should also rearrange the modes to have sport mode closest to auto.
    goji26 likes this.
    04-15-2018 01:02 AM
    You can find an example of the Pixel and my S7 on the Pixel forum (1st page). Same "auto" setting on both cams. I don't know if I was more surprised by the lousy Pixel picture or the Google fanboys that refused to say the S9 was better (g) Only edit was to resize.
    Here is another test. Another win for the S9+

Galaxy S9+
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samsung.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	383.5 KB 
ID:	282685

Pixel 2 XL
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pixel.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	362.8 KB 
ID:	282686
    The S9 picture looks blown out. I can see more detail in the Pixel picture. Look at the wall alone. We're going to have to agree to disagree.
    rdubmu likes this.
    04-15-2018 01:05 AM
    Shutter speed. For some reason the S9's sport mode is hidden. You should use that for moving objects. Long press on one of the available modes, scroll down to sport mode, then switch to that when taking a picture of a moving thing. You should also rearrange the modes to have sport mode closest to auto.
    Thanks, I'll check that out.
    04-15-2018 01:06 AM
    Just took two pictures of the same objects. Both auto mode. First one is the S9. Zoom in and look at the writing on the bottles. Second one is the Pixel 2. Zoom in and check out that writing.S9+ Blows Pixel 2 XL Out of the Water!!-20180415_021034.jpgS9+ Blows Pixel 2 XL Out of the Water!!-img_20180415_021103.jpg
    04-15-2018 01:14 AM
    Thanks, I'll check that out.
    You can also check this out:

goji26 likes this.
    04-15-2018 01:16 AM
    For some reason pictures are downscaled on here. Look at the difference in detail on the paper towels. Pixel wins easily. You must not have had HDR on.
    04-15-2018 01:16 AM

Thank you, I want to make this S9 work. This camera has to be better than it is right now for me.
    04-15-2018 01:18 AM
    Thank you, I want to make this S9 work. This camera has to be better than it is right now for me.
    The main gripe on the Samsung camera app actually is that as a point and shoot, it's good, but it's not as great as the Pixel when both are in auto mode. You have to know what you're doing and making a adjustments to get the best possible picture with the given hardware. It would be awesome if the camera can default to pro mode with your own setup but, oh well.
    Itsa_Me_Mario likes this.
    04-15-2018 01:22 AM
    The main gripe on the Samsung camera app actually is that as a point and shoot, it's good, but it's not as great as the Pixel when both are in auto mode. You have to know what you're doing and making a adjustments to get the best possible picture with the given hardware. It would be awesome if the camera can default to pro mode with your own setup but, oh well.
    Yeah, and I'm definitely not a camera expert so I don't know what most if the settings are in Pro mode. I'm in the process of figuring out what each one means/does.
    04-15-2018 01:24 AM
    Yep, the S9+ is really amazing!
    I'm enjoying it so much, what a great phone.
    It's not free of problems obviously, but they are pretty minor and hopefully Samsung will fix them soon.
    I was really unimpressed with the Pixel 2xl, and the whole "stock Android" thing is way overrated IMO. I actually prefer TW and Samsung's apps over Google's...

...There is one thing I'll miss. That's the squeeze function to bring up GA. I already miss that but it's a small price to pay
    You can use a Bixby button remapper app (like bxActions) to open GA with the Bixby button, or you can add the squeeze functionality with this app:

04-15-2018 01:36 AM

That's a nice overview. Thanks for posting
    #15 is wrong - full screen does change the resolution and aspect ratio. It's basically a cropped version of the full picture.
    04-15-2018 01:56 AM
108 123 ...