Otter box defender, wireless charging?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I gave up wireless charging a while ago, because of the heat the charger throws up to the phone, but I was charging through a Defender for about 4 years. I could even lift the phones up about 1/4" and they'd still charge. (And it's only the distance that determines it - the materials used are transparent to the frequencies used in wireless charging.)

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I had a defender on my s9+ for a few weeks and wireless charging was hit or miss. Had to be positioned perfectly and then it would stop charging frequently.

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
had the otterbox on my s9 since day one, until i got the case i wanted, and used in 2 different wireless chargers, never had one issue

KP8819

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Yup, works well on my Samsung puck wireless charger & Samsung pay works as well with the Otterbox Defender.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Works great. Never had an issue with the Defender cases since wireless charging introduced with the GS6.

Cableguyfl

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
Well add one more to your list of phone that will not work with the wireless charging pads galaxy note 9 . I got the phone on Friday it would charge the phone if you lay the phone on it side but not up right on the pad

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well add one more to your list of phone that will not work with the wireless charging pads galaxy note 9 . I got the phone on Friday it would charge the phone if you lay the phone on it side but not up right on the pad
I experienced this exact problem when I used the OtterBox case with my Note 8. When I bought the S9+, OtterBox was not even an option i considered this time around.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I gave up wireless charging a while ago, because of the heat the charger throws up to the phone, but I was charging through a Defender for about 4 years. I could even lift the phones up about 1/4" and they'd still charge. (And it's only the distance that determines it - the materials used are transparent to the frequencies used in wireless charging.)
If a metal back is used, it must have at least a 'window' of non metallic material to work,located near the qi coil, due to magnetic flux preventing charging through an all metal (aluminum) back .

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And since a Qi coil is about 2" in diameter, that's a serious hole. I'd rather have a solid metal back.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
And since a Qi coil is about 2" in diameter, that's a serious hole. I'd rather have a solid metal back.
I hear you, and wish it was possible. I'd rather have an S5 type back I can take off, a user swappable battery and a firm SD card holder and sim, not this 'I hope I don't break it' slide out tray.
I added qi charging to the old S5 (yes, the part fit just fine inside), and it worked fine.
These glass backs, and I know I've said it before, is just so they can sell and fix more phones.
Patiently waiting for the 10. If they use the coming new plastic on the front, they better not make the back glass.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan