Bug? Camera app quick launch, screen times out after 3-5 seconds

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
When using the quick launch camera app in the lock screen or pressing the power button twice, I noticed that the screen then turns off after 3-5 seconds, even if I am tapping the screen to make it active.

Is this a bug or a setting that can be changed? I missed some good photos because of this annoying feature.

Can anyone else confirm that it happens for them as well?

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Mine is not doing that...
Try clearing cache and restarting phone

I cleared the camera cache and restarted the phone. Did not fix this problem.

Anyone else having this problem? Launcher used? I have screen time out set at 30 secs.. screen turns off around 3-5 seconds. Trying to think of any other app that may be turning the screen off but no luck.
Is there an equivalent to safe mode?

I'm using US unlock version on AT&t

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
it also happens when I use Samsung pay from the lock screen. when I swipe up from bottom to open Samsung pay, the screen turns off after 3 seconds. I'm assuming then that it is a phone setting. if so, how to change it?

can others please confirm?

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I found the culprit. after chatting with Samsung support, they told me to try to boot into safe mode ( a usefully troubleshooting procedure). the problem did not happen in safe mode so it was an app causing the problem.

I then decided to uninstall the app Glimpse notification. and after I did, the screen stayed on. bummer because I did like that app.

any recommended app to wake up the screen for certain app notifications like glimpse?

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I found the culprit. after chatting with Samsung support, they told me to try to boot into safe mode ( a usefully troubleshooting procedure). the problem did not happen in safe mode so it was an app causing the problem.

I then decided to uninstall the app Glimpse notification. and after I did, the screen stayed on. bummer because I did like that app.

any recommended app to wake up the screen for certain app notifications like glimpse?

I use the Glympse app, and have it installed now, but I do not experience the issue that you describe.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I use the Glympse app, and have it installed now, but I do not experience the issue that you describe.

Hmm. Can you see if there is a setting to turn off notification at a certain amount of time in the glimpse notification app? I think I recall seeing that opiton in there.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hmm. Can you see if there is a setting to turn off notification at a certain amount of time in the glimpse notification app? I think I recall seeing that opiton in there.

I have the settings open on the Glympse app right now, and I do not see anything that is similar to what you describe.

The only thing that even comes close is "Stop sharing when I arrive" - and I do not think that is what you are asking about.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I have the settings open on the Glympse app right now, and I do not see anything that is similar to what you describe.

The only thing that even comes close is "Stop sharing when I arrive" - and I do not think that is what you are asking about.

Thanks for verifiying. I decided to install it again. This time just allowing my certain apps that I want it to notify. Tried the camera via the lock screen and screen did not turn off like before. Only difference is that before, I had quiet time enabled. Won't mess with it since it's now working. Maybe the uninstall and install solved the problem.

Thank you for confirming that yours did work with glimpse.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Ok. Now I really know what is going on. It does have to do with Glimps notification app and there is an option in the app to customize the lockscreen display time. If it is enabled, it will lock the screen after the amount of seconds you set. I must have had it set to 5 seconds last time. This time I set it to around 12 and when I open the camera app via shortcut, it indeed timeout at 12 seconds.

Reason I need to set a time is because the default time notifications stays on in the lock screen is too short to read it.

If on the phone there is an option for that, I would not need it to be enabled in the glimpse notification app.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Glad you got it working. I use Glympse for my daily commute, to coordinate with my wife for transportation. Today, while sending my location, I went through the app settings pretty thoroughly, and I simply cannot find the option/setting you are referring to here.

Can you specify how you are setting that value? It does not appear to be in my version of Glympse.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Glad you got it working. I use Glympse for my daily commute, to coordinate with my wife for transportation. Today, while sending my location, I went through the app settings pretty thoroughly, and I simply cannot find the option/setting you are referring to here.

Can you specify how you are setting that value? It does not appear to be in my version of Glympse.

Hi afh3.

I believe we are talking about 2 different apps. The app that I am referring to is Glimpse notifications. An app to be able to wake up the lock screen to show app notifications.

The App you are using I believe is Glympse for Auto - sharing your location with others.

That is probably why you do not see the settings that I am referring to.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi afh3.

I believe we are talking about 2 different apps. The app that I am referring to is Glimpse notifications. An app to be able to wake up the lock screen to show app notifications.

The App you are using I believe is Glympse for Auto - sharing your location with others.

That is probably why you do not see the settings that I am referring to.

LOL

Very good then.

So, despite me misunderstanding the app you were referring to, the errant reference to it working properly on my phone led you to inadvertently resolving the issue you were having based in part on that misunderstanding.

It's enough to make one believe in a supreme being.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
LOL

Very good then.

So, despite me misunderstanding the app you were referring to, the errant reference to it working properly on my phone led you to inadvertently resolving the issue you were having based in part on that misunderstanding.

It's enough to make one believe in a supreme being.

Yes! Because since you told me it worked on yours (me thinking it was my app), made me try out the app again.

So yes, thank you for your mistake!

lol