I have a Pixel 2 and, I'm thinking of buying the S9. Should I?

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Jeez, what to do... What to do. So, the reviews on the S9 are really good. And I'm extremely tempted on trading in my Pixel 2 for the S9. I'd really like some input? I do enjoy the Pixel 2 but the S9 intrigues me.

Would some of you guys and gals give me some guidance please? Thx so much...

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I have both right now. The S9 does have more features and the speakers sound better IMO. You will not get the updates like the Pixel. The Pixel 2 camera is better. I love the Pixel but I think I'm keeping the S9+. It just feels like I'm getting more for my money. The camera and update issues definitely makes it a hard decision though.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
If you care about updates keep the pixel. If you can live with Android 8.0 then by all means, get the s9. The s9 imo is amazing.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Jeez, what to do... What to do. So, the reviews on the S9 are really good. And I'm extremely tempted on trading in my Pixel 2 for the S9. I'd really like some input? I do enjoy the Pixel 2 but the S9 intrigues me.

Would some of you guys and gals give me some guidance please? Thx so much...

You have to weigh what is most important. You will get security updates and probably 2-3 years of software updates with the Pixel. You will get a better camera in certain situations but its not a slam dunk. With the S9 you get a way bigger and nicer screen,you get the newer processor, IP68 vs IP67, wireless charging, expandable storage, headphone jack and Samsung Pay if you use it

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
You have to weigh what is most important. You will get security updates and probably 2-3 years of software updates with the Pixel. You will get a better camera in certain situations but its not a slam dunk. With the S9 you get a way bigger and nicer screen,you get the newer processor, IP68 vs IP67, wireless charging, expandable storage, headphone jack and Samsung Pay if you use it
I used Samsung Pay for the first time this weekend. Totally sweet feature. Does Samsung combine phone updates with security updates?

Last edited:

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I used Samsung Pay for the first time this weekend. Totally awet feature. Does Samsung combine phone updates with security updates?

I guess it could happen but security updates usually happen 2-3x a year whereas a software update might only happen once or twice unless you are using a Google phone

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I guess it could happen but security updates usually happen 2-3x a year whereas a software update might only happen once or twice unless you are using a Google phone

I don't know for sure but I would think Samsung would have more than 2 to 3 security updates a year.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I have the s9 plus, but want to see what the pixel 3 will have to offer. I bought the s9 plus for it's camera, but after seeing the comparison of pictures between s9 plus and pixel, pixel pictures look much better!

If new pixel has wireless charging, water resistant, and expandable SD card, I'll consider trading/selling my S9.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Security updates are pretty much every month but a month behind so definitely more than 2-3x a year. We are in middle of April so we should be seeing March security update soon. They do incorporate Samsung specific updates into those as well if needed. I'm thinking the March security update is later than usually because they are going to add in some software improvements. At least I hope they do.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Personally if I had the Pixel 2, I'd be like, "why bother?" The camera difference to me is meh. I'd be happy with either one so why bother spending. As for speed the Pixel will of course be as fast as the S9 for day to day use. The speed difference is negligible. IMO. Because even with the faster proc, the S9 animations are designed to be slower than the Pixel's anyway.

The only real things you will be getting moving from the Pixel to the S9 are wireless charging and expandable storage.

Personally though I got the S9 because the Pixel is not available where I am officially (gray import only) so I won't touch them. If I was after a more pure Android phone in my situation I'd have taken a Nokia 8 or 7 Plus.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Personally if I had the Pixel 2, I'd be like, "why bother?" The camera difference to me is meh. I'd be happy with either one so why bother spending. As for speed the Pixel will of course be as fast as the S9 for day to day use. The speed difference is negligible. IMO. Because even with the faster proc, the S9 animations are designed to be slower than the Pixel's anyway.

The only real things you will be getting moving from the Pixel to the S9 are wireless charging and expandable storage.

Personally though I got the S9 because the Pixel is not available where I am officially (gray import only) so I won't touch them. If I was after a more pure Android phone in my situation I'd have taken a Nokia 8 or 7 Plus.

The screen size is really big. 5" compared 5.8"

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The screen size is really big. 5" compared 5.8"
Not really. The 18:9 ratio of the S9 vs the 16:9 ratio of the Pixel 2 makes up for that. In real life usage IMO it would feel the same. The Verge actually computed, and the actual areas for the Pixel 2 and the S8 (same as S9) is 69cm2 vs 85cm2. Then we have to consider that since the S9 is taller than it is wide plus the curved edge, it feels smaller than the screen size suggests. On my use it feels closer to the 4.7inch S3 than the 5.5 inch S7 Edge in terms of ergonomics (I have all 3) so it's not really a big deal.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Not really. The 18:9 ratio of the S9 vs the 16:9 ratio of the Pixel 2 makes up for that. In real life usage IMO it would feel the same. The Verge actually computed, and the actual areas for the Pixel 2 and the S8 (same as S9) is 69cm2 vs 85cm2. Then we have to consider that since the S9 is taller than it is wide plus the curved edge, it feels smaller than the screen size suggests. On my use it feels closer to the 4.7inch S3 than the 5.5 inch S7 Edge in terms of ergonomics (I have all 3) so it's not really a big deal.

samsung-galaxy-s9-vs-google-pixel-2-3.jpg That sure looks like a difference to me.
I guess I would need to hold them in hand because it might be misleading using pictures

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 282882 That sure looks like a difference to me.
I guess I would need to hold them in hand because it might be misleading using pictures
Yeah it is misleading to base on pics. The S9 feels narrower, and the edge is tighter than the one on the S7 Edge. So there's not as much screen that's curving but it's less usable as well because of that. So the actual usable area is maybe a millimeter or 2 less on either side than what you see as screen on the picture. The taller aspect ratio also means that on videos you see less content on actual full screen, or contend with the black bars on the sides making you watch the videos on essentially the same surface area as a regular 5 inch device.

All in all the experience on an S9 will be similar to that of a 5 inch device on some cases such as video, and a bigger device in some cases like web browsing (because the high resolution and tall scrwwn makes you see more due to website vertical nature).

So it's kind of in between I guess. Think of it as the screen shrinking to a 5inch on landscape and growing to maybe a 5.5 incher on portrait in terms of feel.