Switch to S9+ or wait for the Note9?

V-Ko

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
So, over two years ago, I got my galaxy s6 (still works fine, just old). I was planning to upgrade to the s9+ when it came out, but now i have to wait until mid July for my next phone. Because the Note9 is supposed to be a major buff from the 8, and the s9 wasn't from its 8, do I wait until September for the Note, or do I upgrade when I can?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you want a note (totally different from the S line - go to the store and play with a Note 8 to see if you fall in love with the things you can do with the S-Pen, or if you think it will grow old without ever being used), I'd wait until at least a month after the Note 9 is released. Samsung has been known to release some dogs, and never really get them working. (And even though they offered replacement models after the Note 7 fun, many people were still dissatisfied. An S7?That's not a Note anything.) I did the same thing for the S8 - and ended up, after years of Samsungs, with a Pixel 2.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Note 9 will be basically be a S9+ with S pen ...so decide if u want for sure a S pen then wait for Note 9 or buy the s9+..I shifted from Note 8 to S9+ and very happy

droid747

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Note 9 will be basically be a S9+ with S pen ...so decide if u want for sure a S pen then wait for Note 9 or buy the s9+..I shifted from Note 8 to S9+ and very happy

Note 9 will have an additional feature or two over the s9+ which will most likely be the fingerprint scanner within the screen.

I have been using a note 4 for 3 and a half years and I was considering a note 8 or s9+ right now and was leaning towards the note 8 but I might just rock my essentials phone i just finished getting setup until the note 9 comes out but not sure yet. Either way I think I would switch back and forth between either note I end up going for and my essentials phone.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The Note 8 is so good to me the only thing I really want is a 4000 or 4000+ mAh battery. Anything else would just be icing to me.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The Note 8 is so good to me the only thing I really want is a 4000 or 4000+ mAh battery. Anything else would just be icing to me.
Tadpoles, that would be great, I agree. What has me a little worried though is the camera. I get great results with my Note 8 camera, while the S9+ seems to have some issues with the new configuration - with a lot of examples being shown of loss of detail. I hope they can sort out whatever is going on there before the Note 9.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
If you have to wait for July then you should go for the Note 9. The spen is a game changer even if you don't use it daily and the Note 9 will be an upgrade in specs and features from the s9

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If you have to wait for July then you should go for the Note 9. The spen is a game changer even if you don't use it daily and the Note 9 will be an upgrade in specs and features from the s9

True! Also, screen will be slightly larger too! I would expect a slightly better camera possibly and possibly finger print sensor under the screen.

I'm not a huge flossy carter fan, but when he was doing is s9 review he said once the Note 9 comes out then "it's game over." Unless there is a huge price gap you would be foolish to buy the S9 Plus over the Note 9.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I went from the Note 8 to the S9+ for the BP Sensor and faster processor. I'm planning on going back to the Note 9 for the screen and S-Pen features.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It depends on you. If you do not use the pen then go ahead and get the S9 Plus. If you use the pen then go with the Note 9. I am going with the Note 9 myself.

netmation

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Speaking as someone who only upgrades to a new phone every 3-4 years, I would wait for Samsung to come out with a phone that supports 5G. Which I would think will most likely be the Note 9 or Galaxy s10. My Note 5 still works exceptionally well, even though it is not the latest and greatest. Whether to go with a Galaxy or Note it is basically a pretty simple question: do you want to have a phone that works with a stylus / S-Pen?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you wait, you will always be waiting. I would say go test out the Current Note, and S9. Whichever you like more get it then.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I just don't see a compelling reason to get a Note 9 instead of the S9 Plus this year unless you really need the SPen. What can Samsung possibly put in the phone to differentiate it from the S9 Plus specs-wise besides the SPen?

1) Better CPU - no, it's gonna be a SD845
2) More RAM - S9 Plus has 6GB, is 8GB really that much better?
3) Triple camera setup - i'm happy with two...don't know how another one makes that much of difference but maybe it does
4) In-display FPS - it may be good but it'll be a first-gen feature meaning potential bugs, slow response, etc. The revised FPS location of the S9 Plus in the back is fine now
5) Larger screen - it's only 0.1" larger than the S9 Plus...not that compelling.
6) Oreo 8.1 - vs. 8.0 in the S9 Plus. as long as Verizon keeps pushing out monthly security updates like they did with my Note 8 I'm happy.

Anything other thoughts?

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I just don't see a compelling reason to get a Note 9 instead of the S9 Plus this year unless you really need the SPen. What can Samsung possibly put in the phone to differentiate it from the S9 Plus specs-wise besides the SPen?

1) Better CPU - no, it's gonna be a SD845
2) More RAM - S9 Plus has 6GB, is 8GB really that much better?
3) Triple camera setup - i'm happy with two...don't know how another one makes that much of difference but maybe it does
4) In-display FPS - it may be good but it'll be a first-gen feature meaning potential bugs, slow response, etc. The revised FPS location of the S9 Plus in the back is fine now
5) Larger screen - it's only 0.1" larger than the S9 Plus...not that compelling.
6) Oreo 8.1 - vs. 8.0 in the S9 Plus. as long as Verizon keeps pushing out monthly security updates like they did with my Note 8 I'm happy.

Anything other thoughts?
Bigger battery.
Regardless, I want it for the Pen.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Speaking as someone who only upgrades to a new phone every 3-4 years, I would wait for Samsung to come out with a phone that supports 5G. Which I would think will most likely be the Note 9 or Galaxy s10. My Note 5 still works exceptionally well, even though it is not the latest and greatest. Whether to go with a Galaxy or Note it is basically a pretty simple question: do you want to have a phone that works with a stylus / S-Pen?
My guess is it'll be longer than that for 5g support and the first version likely won't be good anyway. Remember the HTC Thunderbolt?

Chris Stavrou

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This is simple.... If you have to wait until July anyway, then you wait until the Note 9 is announced (July or August). Once you have confirmed specs to compare, THEN you make a decision as to whether to buy the S9+ or wait another month for the Note 9. At the moment you're trying to decide between fact (S9+) and rumours. If the Note 9 excites - great.... If not, well maybe the S9+ will have seen another price drop so it's win, win.

I'm in the same position - I can't upgrade until August...

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
This is simple.... If you have to wait until July anyway, then you wait until the Note 9 is announced (July or August). Once you have confirmed specs to compare, THEN you make a decision as to whether to buy the S9+ or wait another month for the Note 9. At the moment you're trying to decide between fact (S9+) and rumours. If the Note 9 excites - great.... If not, well maybe the S9+ will have seen another price drop so it's win, win.

I'm in the same position - I can't upgrade until August...

The way some rumors are sounding is it might hit stores at the end of July! I certainly hope so! Especially with a FLAT screen. Just give it to me now! A lot of rumors sound like late july early august. However with this new news of the flat screen is true then I wonder if it might be early September like it was last year and the year before due to production and having to get the assembly line ready and overall new design. Even if it is early Sept if it's flat screen it is still well worth the wait.

I'm wondering if this is being done to make the Note line more different than the S line. Meaning it's likely the S line keeps the curve screen and Note is flat. Flat screen is better for the spen in addition to the more usable screen real estate you have for the spen.

At least we can get normal screen protectors again and overall better cases and not as easy to crack the edge of the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12