Do you miss the Beauty Face feature? But mostly do you feel the S7 took better point and shoot images?

I spent hours last night comparing my husband's Pixel 2 XL (that was mine) and my S9+. In EVERY shot, there were reasons to like the Pixel over the S9+ AND reasons to like the S9+ over the Pixel 2 XL...in every shot!

So tonight I'm comparing my S7 to my S9+. These are indoor shots with and without flash but mostly without. Both are set to a resolution size of 4:3 (12MP), Auto, HDR On. The S9+ is consistently better with WB. Text is better with the S7. Blacks are blacker with the S9+ but show more definition with the S7. I'm just not getting the consistently better images with the S9+ over the S7 like I should be getting! Anyone else feel the same?
    04-23-2018 11:46 PM
    No! Had a s7 now a s8+ the s8+ has a better camera. Silly post.
    04-24-2018 12:23 AM
    My findings are similar. The S9+ has a better looking picture (usually) when completely zoomed out, but when you start considering details in the picture, the S7 Is a lot more pleasing.

Not to mention, I have to work a lot harder to take a pic with acceptable results on the S9+, whereas on the S7 multiple takes were only required if the subject would not sit still.
    04-24-2018 02:55 AM
    No! Had a s7 now a s8+ the s8+ has a better camera. Silly post.
    That’s pretty much what she’s saying, except with an S9+. Silly answer :P
    waqqas31 likes this.
    04-24-2018 05:03 AM
    Returned the S9+ because my S7 Edge takes better pictures.
    04-24-2018 05:56 AM
    my wife had s7 edge sold it for S9+ and she is very happy ...she say s9+ takes better pics ..as she is a blogger she knows about cameras
    04-24-2018 07:20 AM
    I personally feel that I get better pictures with my S9+. I guess it partly depends on the type of pictures that you're taking. I take a lot of low light pictures.
    04-24-2018 08:38 AM
    I've come from the S7 (over 2 years of use) to the S9+ and I have to admit that the pictures the "Auto" cameras take don't appear too different in general. I think the S7 is often accused of being too "over-processed" in some situations, but many people actually interpret this as "better".

Regardless, the S7 camera was already very good for a "random point and shoot non-photography" person like me. I think the S9+ is certainly at least slightly better in some situations. But I wouldn't buy the S9+ just for the camera. In fact, I wouldn't recommend "upgrading" to the S9+ if you're coming from a S7 (unless you have really good reasons for upgrading like your S7 is broken etc) - the S7 is still very good overall, and doesn't suffer from issues like the "black crush" reported all over the internet. Of course, if you have money to burn or you can get the S9+ for free/cheap, then all good.

I'd have returned and refunded my S9+ by now (have had it for over a month) if I didn't get it for free.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    04-24-2018 03:24 PM
    I've come from the S7 (over 2 years of use) to the S9+ and I have to admit that the pictures the "Auto" cameras take don't appear too different in general. I think the S7 is often accused of being too "over-processed" in some situations, but many people actually interpret this as "better".

Regardless, the S7 camera was already very good for a "random point and shoot non-photography" person like me. I think the S9+ is certainly at least slightly better in some situations. But I wouldn't buy the S9+ just for the camera. In fact, I wouldn't recommend "upgrading" to the S9+ if you're coming from a S7 (unless you have really good reasons for upgrading like your S7 is broken etc) - the S7 is still very good overall, and doesn't suffer from issues like the "black crush" reported all over the internet. Of course, if you have money to burn or you can get the S9+ for free/cheap, then all good.

I'd have returned and refunded my S9+ by now (have had it for over a month) if I didn't get it for free.
    Don't agree with your comment ...If u were not happy with S9+ it's fine...But many people have shifted from s8 S8+ Note 8 to S9+ are very happy....I too shifted from Note 8 to S9+ and very very happy...S9+ is amazing upgrade from S7 edge as my wife just upgraded from s7 edge to S9+
    04-24-2018 04:37 PM
    Don't agree with your comment ...If u were not happy with S9+ it's fine...But many people have shifted from s8 S8+ Note 8 to S9+ are very happy....I too shifted from Note 8 to S9+ and very very happy...S9+ is amazing upgrade from S7 edge as my wife just upgraded from s7 edge to S9+
    I never said I am "not happy" with the S9+. If you re-read my post again, you may observe that the main point I was trying to get across is that the S9+ isn't a significant improvement over the S7, "for my use" - for example, I alluded to the camera/picture quality being not much better (and perhaps slightly worse in some instances). Another example is the "black crush" issue that is present on the S9+ but not the S7.

However, I am actually overall quite happy with the S9+, just like I was quite happy with the S7. My opinion on not "upgrading" from S7 to S9+ was based on the above point(s). However, I did not imply it was a "step backwards" if you did "upgrade". I did imply that perhaps you wouldn't notice significant improvements, but I'm sure many who use a smartphone to its full capacity would notice more improvements than me.
    04-24-2018 06:47 PM
    I never said I am "not happy" with the S9+. If you re-read my post again, you may observe that the main point I was trying to get across is that the S9+ isn't a significant improvement over the S7, "for my use" - for example, I alluded to the camera/picture quality being not much better (and perhaps slightly worse in some instances). Another example is the "black crush" issue that is present on the S9+ but not the S7.

However, I am actually overall quite happy with the S9+, just like I was quite happy with the S7. My opinion on not "upgrading" from S7 to S9+ was based on the above point(s). However, I did not imply it was a "step backwards" if you did "upgrade". I did imply that perhaps you wouldn't notice significant improvements, but I'm sure many who use a smartphone to its full capacity would notice more improvements than me.
    I have both an S7 and an S9+ and I got the S9+ first (just so we know the S7 isn't old, if that matters). Camera aside, the S9+ is staggeringly better than the S7. I say camera aside because I don't think I've even taken a photo with the S7 (I got it as a running companion). The S7 doesn't seem old enough to have a bad camera, per sé though, as it is an almost contemporary (by my measure) Samsung phone.
    04-24-2018 07:49 PM
    Are you asking if a two year old device is just as good as a new device?

No. No it isn't.
    04-24-2018 08:52 PM
    my wife had s7 edge sold it for S9+ and she is very happy ...she say s9+ takes better pics ..as she is a blogger she knows about cameras
    I expected to be as blown away by the move from my S7 to the S9+ as I was from my S5 to the S7. Didn't happen.
    tadpoles likes this.
    04-24-2018 10:23 PM
    I expected to be as blown away by the move from my S7 to the S9+ as I was from my S5 to the S7. Didn't happen.
    I don't have an S9, but having owned the S3, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, Note 5, S7, and now Note 8 I can honestly say the only large gain was the Note 3 to Note 4.

Note 3 was a downgrade compared to the N2 and S3, pictures were absolutely awful for dynamic range and low light.

Note 4 was a huge improvement in image quality and could finally take quick HDR shots.

Note 5 had similar quality IMO but included manual controls.

S7 has much faster focus and improved low light, day shots were no better IMO.

Note 8 isn't a big improvement either, auto handles color in low light better but it isn't a dramatic improvement. Telephoto lens is the best part IMO.

In the end, they all fail compared to my Nikon, just nice always having a decent camera in my pocket.
    04-25-2018 12:00 AM
    Coming from the S7 to the S9, I'm pretty disappointed with the camera. Sure, it takes better low light photos, but the HDR mode on the S7 was MUCH better. Also, I felt the S7 was faster in capturing images.

I expected more from the S9.
    04-25-2018 08:18 AM
    Also, I felt the S7 was faster in capturing images.

I expected more from the S9.
    Yes, that's another aspect that the S7 is slightly better at - it's slightly faster at capturing images. But it's only about a 0.5 second difference.

Another aspect that I've found the S7 is better at is the voice control for the camera - it seems to be more sensitive/accurate at following the commands of "cheese/smile/shoot/record video" than the S9+. I think the S7 got a software update to improve this some time over the last 2 years though, so perhaps the S9+ will also get an update in the future.
    04-25-2018 01:42 PM