Do You Mind Having to Unlock Your Phone Every Time You Pick it Up/Open it?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never set a lock screen on my phones. Well, I tried it on my first smartphone but it was too much of a hassle. I just registered my irises with the iris scanner to see how it works. It's cool (has a bit of a delay in medium to lower light situations). But, I probably open my phone 50x a day if not more. Doesn't it get old really quick to have to use ANY type of lock screen? I'm not out in the work force so I'm home more than I'm not but even if I did work I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to have to unlock my phone 50x or more a day :eek:
Disabling Iris Scanner now.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Nah, doesn't bother me at all. The fingerprint scanner is super-fast and reliable on my GS9 (and the same is true of the other phones in my household - LG G6, LG V20, iPhone 7, iPhone 8 Plus, Moto G5S Plus, Honor 7X).

I'd hate to accidentally drop my phone somewhere in public and have my entire mobile life open to whoever finds it!

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't use Samsung Pay or Android Pay, so I'm not sure how those work, but I'm required to have screen lock in order to use Apple Pay on my iPhone 8 Plus (and I use it pretty much every day - it's my preferred method of paying and I use it wherever available).

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
fingerprint scanner let's me in as soon as I hold the phone...

I tried the fingerprint scanner on our Pixel 2 XL and yes, it was very fast but I often have my phone propped or laying down when I want to open it so that would require picking it up when it's not always as convenient as touching the home button.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Here's how mine's setup.
82a24db54dc9a1158aaf7c15d2541f39.jpg

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind, in exchange for the added security. SmartLock can help a lot, if you don't want to be unlocking your phone all the time. SmartLock allows you to keep your phone unlocked it it is in a location (such as at your home) or connected to a particularly Bluetooth device. For example, I have SmartLock enabled when the phone is connected to my car's Bluetooth, so my phone is always unlocked when I'm in my car. Basically, you could keep your phone unlocked most of the time but still have it secured, in case it is lost or stolen.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
You can set up Smart Lock so that way you don't have to keep unlocking it in certain situations. I don't use it but it's an option. I don't mind using the FPS all the time. I prefer security over convenience. Well, most of the time.
5e2ef458b94630d7e65c62478abe2d97.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use smart lock as well. Tied to my watch. Since I wear my watch most of the time, no need to worry about entering security

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I tried the fingerprint scanner on our Pixel 2 XL and yes, it was very fast but I often have my phone propped or laying down when I want to open it so that would require picking it up when it's not always as convenient as touching the home button.

I thought your talking for the s9 ? On the pixel you can enable face detection but not as good as s9

Megacow

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
My only gripe with Smartlock is the location unlock rarely works. I've tried setting it so it auto-unlocks at home, several times. It only rarely works. It should know I'm home too as I'm using the gps with Waze until I get home. Bluetooth unlock works great though. As soon as I start the car it'll auto unlock there.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I never set a secure lockscreen until I started working at a facility which uses an app for email that forces you to have it set that way. I do not keep any Samsung or Android Pay set up, so I wasn't all that concerned about it getting stolen. If someone is out to hack into your phone they can do it online from a remote location anyway.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Fingerprint scanner has made it pretty much painless. I do use "Trusted Location" though for home so I can just swipe to unlock it.

Security is usually never as convenient as no security ... But I will take security over none any day :).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I really like having a lockscreen on my phones, and even an AOD display. Of course, that could have something to do with the fact that my boyfriend is my lockscreen photo... 😀. But I also like having a lockscreen so I can have a look at all of my notifications - at glance - without having to open my phone and sort through them all, you know?

May 3, 2018
Visit site
I never used to lock my phone, but having PayPal always signed in, eBay open with 1 touch purchases as well as the rest of my life (and my Clash Royale account ) I do now lock it. I use intelligent scan on my S9+ the majority of the time, fingerprint reader if it's dark, and pattern if it's sitting on my desk. Smart unlock when connected to car Bluetooth. Before fingerprint readers it was a hassle though...

Last edited:

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I would never use a phone without using some sort of lock. I keep so much personal information on it that the "inconvenience" of unlocking the device is worth it. Besides, the fingerprint sensor works almost instantly. I never use the iris scanner because it hurts my eyes.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I'm going to try Smart Lock and see if I can keep the phone unlocked and where it will open with a simple press of the home button or power button when I'm at home or in my car. Car uses BT but would my phone have to have wifi ON at the house? Where I live (in the country) wifi is slower than mobile data and we have a large mobile data plan. Wifi is rarely enabled on our phones.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I keep mine locked except when I'm in the car. I've found the fingerprint scanner to be faster than swiping anyway. I automatically put my finger on the sensor when I pick up the phone, and I'm immediately at the home screen.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not out in the work force so I'm home more than I'm not

I can easily see how you would not need a lock. Sort of similar to how you won't lock your front door when you are home during the day.

But for me....as I am around a lot of people during my day, I like the idea that my phone is locked. You want to get into my phone...have fun figuring out my unlock code.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia